Apply adjustments to all not working - "edit all" enabled

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Apply adjustments to all not working - "edit all" enabled

Postby lorilin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi all! I must be doing something wrong, because I can't for the life of me get this to work.

WITH "edit all selected variants" enabled, If I select some images, adjust the primary image (say, exposure), the other images aren't adjusted. Even if I "copy from primary" and "paste to all selected variants" the other images are NOT adjusted. I know I must be missing something...can anyone suggest what I should check?

Note that sometimes the "copy" and "paste" does actually work. Sometimes it doesn't work, then inexplicably does start working again.

Cheers,
Lori
lorilin

Re: Apply adjustments to all not working - "edit all" enable

Postby David532 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Just a thought - have you got edit all selected variants selected? Its the icon represented by a stack of 3 rectangles at top right of screen, it will be orange if selected. It needs to be selected if it is not.
David532

Postby lorilin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes, the three orange rectangles are glowing like crazy ;-). I've got it enabled for sure.
lorilin

Postby IanS » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:37 pm

lorilin wrote:Hi all! I must be doing something wrong, because I can't for the life of me get this to work.

WITH "edit all selected variants" enabled, If I select some images, adjust the primary image (say, exposure), the other images aren't adjusted. Even if I "copy from primary" and "paste to all selected variants" the other images are NOT adjusted. I know I must be missing something...can anyone suggest what I should check?

Note that sometimes the "copy" and "paste" does actually work. Sometimes it doesn't work, then inexplicably does start working again.

Cheers,
Lori

Are you copying from the "exposure tool"? Does the adjustment clipboard come up with the relevant adjustments ticked and you select "copy"?

You then select next images and "paste"?

Ian
IanS

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 am

Are you dealing with consistent file types? Are there any size issues involved - too large or too small?

As an experiment, create multiple variants of the an image TO which you wish to copy settings from a master image.

Make sure all are selected and "edit all" is set on

Use the COPY Arrow key ICON to copy the settings from the master image and the "PASTE" arrow ICON to apply the changes.

What happens?

Do you get any warnings?

If not check your Preferences file just to make sure that warnings are turned on.

Check your Adjustments Clipboard settings as well.

If you are using a catalogue are all of the selected images available for edit? I.E are the raw/source files "on line" and available?

If none of those suggestions suggest any causes or solutions I think you should create a Support Case and get the support team to look at your system information and log file records (if necessary) to see if they can spot what is happening. They may not need to do that of course but is is a little difficult to make a diagnosis on something like this where there are many potential variables that may not be obvious to a remote correspondent. This can be especially true when things sometimes work and sometimes don't.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby lorilin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi folks, you've been super helpful!

I was pretty sure it was "user error" rather than some weird technical problem...and it turns out I was right.

With the suggestions here, I at least know what to look for if it happens again. The secret is in the "adjustment clipboard". For some reason, everything was toggled off in there when I figured out how to access it and check. I was not copying from the Exposure tool itself (as Ian suggested), but from the big arrows up in the main toolbar. If I copy from the Exposure tool, the adjustment clipboard pops up and I can see what's going on. Never occurred to me to even try that, since I usually have several basic adjustments that I'm copying at once.

The maddening thing was that sometimes the big arrow method works fine, and other times it doesn't work at all (without me knowingly changing anything) -- even in the same session!

But it doesn't matter -- now I know what to do if it happens again!

Just a side note: this would have been easily figure-out-able for a C1 newb like myself if the "adjustments clipboard" was a menu item in the "adjustments" menu (or even the "view" menu). I would have intuitively known to click there and easily solved my own problem.

Thanks again for all the advice here, and for not making me feel dumb. I do love C1, but have been finding the learning curve quite a bit steeper than I'm used to.
lorilin

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:52 pm

lorilin wrote:
Just a side note: this would have been easily figure-out-able for a C1 newb like myself if the "adjustments clipboard" was a menu item in the "adjustments" menu (or even the "view" menu). I would have intuitively known to click there and easily solved my own problem.

You know it's interesting that you should mention that because, although over time one comes to know what is going on and advisory messages become intrusive to workflow, when starting out they can be very useful to the learning process.

At one point back a while I recall that on making a "copy" of settings for an image using the arrow icon produced the Clip Board tool pop up for confirmation of the settings to be applied. There are ways to avoid that pop up and avoid and apply directly as well, but the default was to present the pop up. That would be your prompt I would guess.

That no longer happens on my system and has not done so for a while.

I'm not aware of any user controlled settings that would manage the option - though there may be something.

There is something similar with the warning messages and they can be managed. However switching them all on rarely seems to produce a message.

Now after several years of using C1 I don't really feel a great need for those messages and prompts - at least not very often. But where they have gone is a puzzle and clearly not convenient for new users or indeed for existing users if new, advice worthy, features and functions were to be introduced.

It may be that feedback from users has suggested that the displays should be deprecated for being too intrusive or some other functionality is not compatible with regular popups. But since you have raised the subject maybe it is a good time for me to do a little more digging and perhaps raise a Support Case to discover what should and should not be happening according to current design policy.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software