Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Re: Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Postby Class A » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:15 pm

C-M-B wrote:It's not Wacom, the tablet works perfectly fine in Photoshop and Windows in general.

I don't use my Wacom tablet for image processing because the ergonomics when using a lot of keyboard shortcuts at the same time just don't work for me.

However, sometimes I'm forced to use the Wacom tablet at work and it crashes Powerpoint relatively consistently. Not always, but far too many times.

No other software/device crashes my computer and Wacom drivers are notorious for causing trouble. You don't specify your exact issue, but I wouldn't be so sure that Wacom isn't the ultimate source and others have just found away to work around it.
Class A

Postby rstelmach » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:34 am

Automatic serial naming of files does not work very well.
If you add files to the directory and then release the automatic serial renaming of files, you can not change only the names of those added as consecutive files.
Either all file numbers or duplicate numbers are changed (the new numbers have the same numbers with the _1 in the name added).
It would be useful to be able to renumber (renaming files) by giving the starting number of the first file being changed.
rstelmach

Postby NNN636442308250416219 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:54 am

Add a "snap to aspect ratio" feature to the crop tool. When adjusting the crop with an unconstrained ratio, as the crop gets close to one of the predefined aspect ratios, the borders of the crop will change color and a label will pop up to indicate the ratio you are close to. The feature will snap the crop into the ratio (automatically or by pressing a key). The threshold to activate the snap can be an option setting (such as 5% or 10% for example).

I almost always use unconstrained cropping and let the composition of the photo dictate the crop. However, if my crop gets close to a standard/popular aspect ratio I would like to be informed and have the option to let the crop borders snap to that ratio.

The situation now is that I need to do a quick head calculation from the displayed pixel dimensions of the crop. if I think I am close to a common aspect ratio, I have to select to constrain to that ratio. Then move the crop again so it can reset into the selected ratio, re-adjust the crop on the image, and finally realize that the ratio is too far off to be good.

Not a high priority, but more of a nice to have feature.
Last edited by NNN636442308250416219 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NNN636442308250416219

Postby C-M-B » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:34 am

Class A wrote:
C-M-B wrote:It's not Wacom, the tablet works perfectly fine in Photoshop and Windows in general.

I don't use my Wacom tablet for image processing because the ergonomics when using a lot of keyboard shortcuts at the same time just don't work for me.

However, sometimes I'm forced to use the Wacom tablet at work and it crashes Powerpoint relatively consistently. Not always, but far too many times.

No other software/device crashes my computer and Wacom drivers are notorious for causing trouble. You don't specify your exact issue, but I wouldn't be so sure that Wacom isn't the ultimate source and others have just found away to work around it.

The Wacom issue with CaptureOne is well documented and well known:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=25634&p=140409

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=28672&p=139660

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=27180
C-M-B

Postby Franz1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:14 pm

I was just testing 11.3 and the main missing points for the Windows version are listed below.

I use currently LR (old non-cloud version) for import and management and DXO for raw conversion.
I never use Photoshop, just some other programs for HDR or focus stacking

* luminosity mask
* Change colors not only in 30° color wheel angle
* no export to sub-folders (cannot use .\ or ./ in folder name to create relative folders)
* Noise reduction quality of DXO (Premium)
* option to write edits in xmp (or other sidecar file) file so if I move the file together with the xmp to another place the edits are there.
* The possibility to use scroll-wheel to enlarge/shrink the brush size (maybe using Shift or so)
* The possibility to switch between paint-in and paing-out vie ALT key when masking
* better automatics, I get over/underexposed parts in picture (white/black points wrongly placed) which should not be the case
* Different pictures in real layers to change for example sky or add (not only film) textures.
* HDR and focus stacking
* Better perspective (auto) correction (look at DXO ViewPoint which can be integrated into DXO Photolab)
* Support for Nikon Z6 and Z7 (I have D850 and Z7 now), I can import Z7 files by changing the model name to 'NIKON D850' in metadata but I cannot shoot tethered with Z7

I miss also face detection and keywording but this is mostly just nice to have and enable me to remove LR completely.

The RAW conversion quality is good and I can match in most cases DXO output but it's a bit more individual work per picture. My preset for DXO works 90% of the time and I can just crop and align.

If most of it will be possible I would switch and avoid
Greetings
Frank

Shooting with Nikon Z7 with some Irix, Tamron and Nikon glass
Franz1

Postby xplatinum » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 am

Allow viewing of nested folders when selecting a parent
    Improve loading of large catalogs (orange pie processing images at every startup)
xplatinum

Postby Dinarius » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 am

Given that we are probably only a matter of weeks before a new release, any suggestions are likely to be superfluous at this stage.

Best to wait and see now, I think.

D.
Dinarius

Postby NN635584888759405416UL » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:29 pm

1. Changing crop proportion by keyboard.
2. Ability to save (and auto load) noise reduction settings for different ISO values and a particular body.
3. Better effects of geometric correction and noise reduction.
4. Luminance Mask.
5. Focus and HDR stacking (with auto-align).
6. Radial Gradient Masks + free transform of these (skew, rotate, size also non-proportionaly).
7. Bigger area of white balance picker.
NN635584888759405416UL

Postby Bose » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 am

Canon EOS R support for Raw and tethering 8)
Bose

Postby NNN636735230673236717 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:28 pm

I am new to Capture One. I cut my teeth on video productions. Only in the last 2 years I took my photography to the next level. There are few things that I wish C1 would add:

1. More range to controls. Example: I want to make a photo look old style: Vignetting to white. Currently I can only adjust +4 stops, not nearly enough. Unlike other controls, this one is a global control only (background layer only) so I can't with it's limited range use layers to strengthen the effect.

2. Scopes. I am lost without them. In video productions I have learned long time ago: Never to trust your monitor for anything. As far as I am concerned, Histogram is a statistical tool, it can't tell you anything useful when color balancing an image. I would welcome the minimum of Vectorscope and waveform monitors.

3. Color Readouts. At the moment the way I understand it: if I am working in RGB color space it will display RGBY values, if I work in CMYK then it will display CMYK. In addition to RGB and CMYK one can also enable LAB color space readout. The last two are probably very useful readout for printing. I like using HSL when working with skin colors. In HSL, hue is independent of brightness, so whether it is light or dark skin or light or dark lighting on the skin (or anything you want to match) the H value is the same. And one more: When working with images that are 10, 12, and more bits per element, I would prefer to see the actual data or normalized (0...1) rather then everything converted back to 0...255 range. In other words: I would love to see more options to see what's under my cursor.

Postby NNN636746263898859274 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Metadata synonym support in the keyword library. / See lightroom..
Adding an optional keyword flag which prevents a keyword being exported when processing the image / see lightroom
NNN636746263898859274

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:48 pm

There is a control in the metadata tab of the Process Recipe tool which can control which keywords are included on export.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 pm

One could have a separate KW library that listed synonyms and simply add those as well.

However I suspect that the more dynamic approach (with better future proofing) would be to deploy the synonym matching at the time of searching rather than at the point of storage, much as Google and most search engines do.

Grant
SFA

Postby easycass » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:45 am

Keywording Export Filter

I have seen it asked by many people, including myself, that we have similar functionality as in Lightroom. Synonyms, flag to not export, keyword merge, etc.

It is the exporting one that really kills things for me. I have a very organised hierarchy, with categories etc, but seeing those category titles exported just doesn't make sense. SO after export, I have to go through and edit the exported photos using another metadata editor to take out those category title keywords. Ridiculous!

For instance, say I have: -

>Colours
>> Red
>> Blue
>> Yellow

If I set Red for a keyword, then not only Red gets exported, but also the heading Colours. I just wouldn't want Colours, as it is a category not really a keyword. Even if PhaseOne just adds in a very simple filter, it would solve it. Suppose, in the export dialogue settings I could have one field that says "Don't export keywords with the character: ", and I entered the ~ tilde character, then I could set up my hierarchy like this: -

>~Colours
>> Red
>> Blue
>> Yellow

Now, on export, it would come across the tilde in the word Colours and not export that word. It would be so simple to add this filter. Why wait for v 12... It has got to be just a few lines of code to enable such a simple yet powerful thing. Please look into it. Of course more robust keywording with synonyms etc would be great, but by itself, filtering on export would make things so much more useful.
easycass

Postby easycass » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:01 am

Ian3 wrote:There is a control in the metadata tab of the Process Recipe tool which can control which keywords are included on export.

Ian

Hi Ian, this is really only good for selecting groups of keywords from shared keyword lists to include or exclude, but does not address having individual keywords (such as category parent titles) that may not be desirable to export. A simple way for C1 to address this is an addition to the export metadata dialogue tab could be just a filter entry, such as "Do not export keywords containing:", where one could enter any character, such as the ~ tilde.

Thus, if I had a hierarchy: -

>~Colours
>> Red
>> Blue
>> Yellow

Having indicated the category title ~Colours with a tilde, then, when any photo that has Red set as a keyword is exported, C1 would export the word Red but not export the word Colours.

Simple and quite powerful, and likely very little in the way of programming code.
easycass

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 11.x Software