Is Capture One addictive?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Is Capture One addictive?

Postby jcboyer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 pm

[Tongue in cheek]

I was a happy user of Capture One developing RAW pictures from many Canon cameras. I developed some dexterity in mouse pointing and clicking, an eye for the right WB point to select. Cropping was effortless and Processing for various outputs was simply a charm.

I became adventurous and picked up a Mirror Less camera for my wife and later for myself. Those Canon M100 and M50 are agile cameras, with many features that please the devoted RAW guy I am. I KNEW (back in December, when I picked up the M100) that C1 had SUPPORT for all Canon Mirrorless from M to M10. I felt that the M100 (and 50 regular uncompressed RAW) would be available quite fast after the M100 release. May is over the horizon, and no news from Phase One on the topic. Six months of frustrations.

As usual, I had opened a ticket with Support, for the M100 and the newer M50.

In the meantime, I use Canon's DPP. Converting to TIFF and use C1 is not only inconvenient but does not give the same results a C1 developing off RAW. (Maybe I am not setting the TIFF right?) Any suggestions are welcome. :!:

I want to open DPP and my fingers seem to click on Capture One...Cannot control it! :)
Jérôme Boyer
jcboyer

Re: Is Capture One addictive?

Postby ben_US » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:21 pm

As with the vast majority of feature requests and new camera support, we gauge the importance based on user feedback. I suggest any users looking for these Canons (and any other camera support) to submit a case via the link in my profile.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby OfficeDude » Sat May 26, 2018 1:45 am

I've submitted a report. Very surprised that the M50 is not supported.
OfficeDude

Postby Bokehphile » Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm surprised also. The M50 is probably the most well-known Canon mirrorless, and while C1 has all the potential to replace Lightroom, camera support is definitely a key factor.
I don't have a Canon camera but this makes me feel insecure; if I choose another well-known camera model in the future, I can't be sure that C1 will support it.
And I'd hate to be forced out and move to Lightroom because as the title says, C1 is addictive, and the rendering quality is superior.
Bokehphile

Postby SFA » Mon May 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Bokehphile wrote: and the rendering quality is superior.

Do you think there might be a reason for that?
SFA

Postby Bokehphile » Mon May 28, 2018 5:26 pm

SFA wrote:Do you think there might be a reason for that?

If you were trying to state something you could just go on and say it. Nothing to be afraid of.
Bokehphile

Postby SFA » Mon May 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Bokehphile wrote:

If you were trying to state something you could just go on and say it. Nothing to be afraid of.

It was a question.
SFA

Postby jcboyer » Mon May 28, 2018 5:34 pm

SFA wrote:
Bokehphile wrote: and the rendering quality is superior.

Do you think there might be a reason for that?

:roll:

Compared to PRO users, my C1 usage is very LOW. But, EVERY time I compared C1 results to LRs' I was surprised by the details, the highlights recovery, the colors.

Reason: the engine (aka the developers skills) is, imo, superior to ACR. And it seems to be so on all the Canon cameras I have checked. Based on gut feelings, I see LR adding new RAW support using a one size fits all (DNG?) template. It looks like C1 is 'tuned in' carefully for the RAW file being processed. This could explain the lag between the fast and so-so LR release and the slow-slow C1 support.

The list of (well) supported cameras in C1 is impressive. I would not avoid a major brand release because C1 does not support the RAW file YET. I find the waiting frustrating, but the rewards, when it finally comes, are well worth the wait (and we own a couple of M50/100).
Jérôme Boyer
jcboyer

Postby Bokehphile » Tue May 29, 2018 11:19 pm

SFA wrote:
Bokehphile wrote:

It was a question.

I find the results more photographic, looking more like a tangible, film photograph. The results in Lightroom seem digital to me. I can't really put my finger on it.

Furthermore all the controls of C1 are very useful, unlike Lightroom that a lot of the controls aren't really practical. E.g. Lightroom has very strong shadow recovery but very weak highlight recovery. To recover highlights you have to work around it using other controls. The Contrast and Saturation are clunky also. They don't seem particularly refined.
In C1 the Contrast, Saturation, Shadows and Highlights, everything seems to be very well tweaked to be smooth and useful across it's value range.

I made quite a few comparisons to end-up with Capture One. Lightroom has more features and is extremely wide-spread; but the quality of the results of C1 is what I found irresistible.
Last edited by Bokehphile on Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bokehphile

Postby SFA » Tue May 29, 2018 11:37 pm

Bokehphile wrote:I find the results more photographic, looking more like a tangible, film photograph. The results in Lightroom seem digital to me. I can't really put my finger on it.

Furthermore all the controls of C1 are very useful, unlike Lightroom that a lot of the controls aren't really practical. E.g. Lightroom has very strong shadow recovery but very weak highlight recovery. To recover highlights you have to work around it using other controls. The Contrast and Saturation are clunky also. They don't seem particularly refined.
In C1 the Contrast, Saturation, Shadows and Highlights, everything seems to be very well tweaked to be smooth and useful across it's value range.

I made quite a few comparisons to end-up with Capture One. Lightroom has more features and is extremely wide-spread; but the quality of the results of C1 is what I found irresistible.

I would agree, though comparing to other applications as I have not looked at LR for years.

I would assume that attention to appearance may take some time to perfect. And some strong self discipline to go for a good to exceptional result even when under pressure to put something out to the marketplace.

It may take a little longer but it usually arrives in reasonably good time (for most people?)

And then there is the problem of trying to fit all of the manufacturer camera releases, operating system releases and product releases into a sensible time frame. Perhaps not an ideal time frame for everyone but a sensible one.

I can understand why people who need to jump early into new cameras and their features may become frustrated by any perceived delay but in the wider view I think jcboyer's position is most sensible and very logical.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636177822727143930 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:25 pm

now that M50 and EOS R are supported in the new releases I'd like to "rewarm" the question about the M100 CR2 support.

any chance to see this in (near) future or is that little one too "low end"?
NNN636177822727143930

Postby SFA » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:14 pm

NNN636177822727143930 wrote:now that M50 and EOS R are supported in the new releases I'd like to "rewarm" the question about the M100 CR2 support.

any chance to see this in (near) future or is that little one too "low end"?

You will need to ask the Capture One people at Phase via a Support Case.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software