All Images - The Pie Progress - What is C1 Doing?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

All Images - The Pie Progress - What is C1 Doing?

Postby easycass » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 am

When one clicks on a folder with lots of images (or for best demonstration, click on All Images), an entry at teh top of the browser window says something like '1 of 69084 images selected', and there is a 'pie' progress icon that slowly fills in 'pie-slices' to finally form a full circle. I note it does the same thing on the import dialogue before pressing the 'import' button.

While I can make a number of guesses, does anyone know exactly (as in fact) what is happening while this is going on?
easycass

Re: All Images - The Pie Progress - What is C1 Doing?

Postby gusferlizi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 pm

SQL database query.
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby David532 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:01 pm

I have no idea but it taking such a long time (six minutes of thumb twiddling in the case of my 35000 image library) was one of the reasons I have reverted to sessions, using the system folders view and totally ignoring Session Folders and Session Albums, for my Capture One work.
David532

Postby RobiWan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Is a known BUG. Phase One does not want to fix it.
RobiWan

Postby xplatinum » Wed May 02, 2018 3:11 pm

RobiWan wrote:Is a known BUG. Phase One does not want to fix it.

Exactly what I'm thinking. This has been present in version 10 and probably before too. Every time I close the app and start it back up I have to endure the whole "generating" of previews/thumbnails. Every. Single. Time.

VERY annoying.
xplatinum

Postby SFA » Wed May 02, 2018 5:25 pm

xplatinum wrote:

Exactly what I'm thinking. This has been present in version 10 and probably before too. Every time I close the app and start it back up I have to endure the whole "generating" of previews/thumbnails. Every. Single. Time.

VERY annoying.

Are you sure?

If you have a look in the Cache folder what dates do you find associated with the files?

Are all of them showing with the oldest date being the last time you opened the Session or Catalog?
SFA

Postby xplatinum » Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm

SFA wrote:
xplatinum wrote:

VERY annoying.

Are you sure?

If you have a look in the Cache folder what dates do you find associated with the files?

Are all of them showing with the oldest date being the last time you opened the Session or Catalog?

C1 does generate thumbnails ever single time I open the application. And the date and time matches when I opened the app. Every time I open it, a new batch of thumbnails will appear. Even without doing anything other than opening/closing C1.

I did another test by deleting the content of the thumbnail folder. Everytime I open the app I take note of the number of files its generating and delete them. Every time I open the app the number changes and my previews are the biggest possible for the test. I see 6 on screen. I tried that because I noticed that the more I scroll through photos, the more its generating. So technically it should only generate what I have on screen, but that's not the case either. I have 6 and it generates 150.

Also the orange pie keeps going even after the generation of the 100ish thumbnails have finished. No one was ever able to tell me whats its doing. But it takes a while and during that time I can see thumbnails appearing again and again until it comes to a stop.
xplatinum

Postby RobiWan » Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm

xplatinum wrote:

You describe 2 errors of the 1 should be fixed with 11.1 / See my Post viewtopic.php?f=72&t=28236 /

That with " the orange progress pie will appear and I will see images previews appearing in the browser" is a different BUG. Here reads/search C1 the metadata, although it should not do that. Phase One say - we need database redesign but its not true. The same Database (catalog) runs perfect under OSX. All information is available in the database only one has to read it.
As DAM is C1 unusable under Windows.
RobiWan

Postby gusferlizi » Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 pm

@xplatinum: just to be clear we're on the same boat, previews and thumbnails are different things and processed separately. Previews are the proxy files that the 'fit to screen' editing preview is rendered from. Thumbnails are thumbnails.

There was a major preview regeneration issue between 10.0.2 and 10.2.1

I have not experienced it on 11.x yet, although there is another thread claiming that it's back (I think it's the same issue; thumbnails and not previews).

xplatinum wrote:C1 does generate thumbnails ever single time I open the application. And the date and time matches when I opened the app. Every time I open it, a new batch of thumbnails will appear. Even without doing anything other than opening/closing C1.

If you're strictly speaking about the thumbnails that start piling up on the list/grid mode as if you had never accessed that directory before, with or without having previews generated, then as far as I can tell, it is the database refreshing the image list "from scratch" for whatever blessed reason (I think it is, and has been alluded several times to be, if not a bug - a design flaw.)

xplatinum wrote:Also the orange pie keeps going even after the generation of the 100ish thumbnails have finished. No one was ever able to tell me whats its doing. But it takes a while and during that time I can see thumbnails appearing again and again until it comes to a stop.

Again, if we're not talking about preview/proxy files, I think this is the metadata+settings database parse (that comes up in a parallel thread with image listing,plus preview generation if needed), which is a major toll when clicking "all images" on a large catalog or when using some sort of metadata/setting filter like the smart albums.
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby xplatinum » Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 pm

gusferlizi wrote:@xplatinum: just to be clear we're on the same boat, previews and thumbnails are different things and processed separately. Previews are the proxy files that the 'fit to screen' editing preview is rendered from. Thumbnails are thumbnails.

There was a major preview regeneration issue between 10.0.2 and 10.2.1

I have not experienced it on 11.x yet, although there is another thread claiming that it's back (I think it's the same issue; thumbnails and not previews).

xplatinum wrote:C1 does generate thumbnails ever single time I open the application. And the date and time matches when I opened the app. Every time I open it, a new batch of thumbnails will appear. Even without doing anything other than opening/closing C1.

If you're strictly speaking about the thumbnails that start piling up on the list/grid mode as if you had never accessed that directory before, with or without having previews generated, then as far as I can tell, it is the database refreshing the image list "from scratch" for whatever blessed reason (I think it is, and has been alluded several times to be, if not a bug - a design flaw.)

That's exactly what it appears to be. Thumbnails are pilling up as if it just discovered the files for the first time. It's not the thumbnail that's refreshing. It's litteraly the images that are appearing one after the other even though they were always there at the same location.

xplatinum wrote:Also the orange pie keeps going even after the generation of the 100ish thumbnails have finished. No one was ever able to tell me whats its doing. But it takes a while and during that time I can see thumbnails appearing again and again until it comes to a stop.

Again, if we're not talking about preview/proxy files, I think this is the metadata+settings database parse (that comes up in a parallel thread with image listing,plus preview generation if needed), which is a major toll when clicking "all images" on a large catalog or when using some sort of metadata/setting filter like the smart albums.

That looks like it. Boggles my mind as to why it would need to parse every single time the app is opened. I don't want to play the comparison game but I've never had such issues with LR so I'm having a hard time believe that it is justified in C1.
xplatinum

Postby cdc » Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 am

For what it's worth, this is only an issue on Windows versions of CO. On a Mac CO operates as you would expect it to, no waiting each time you open a session.
cdc

Postby gusferlizi » Thu May 03, 2018 10:14 am

xplatinum wrote:That's exactly what it appears to be. Thumbnails are pilling up as if it just discovered the files for the first time. It's not the thumbnail that's refreshing. It's litteraly the images that are appearing one after the other even though they were always there at the same location.

That looks like it. Boggles my mind as to why it would need to parse every single time the app is opened. I don't want to play the comparison game but I've never had such issues with LR so I'm having a hard time believe that it is justified in C1.

Ok, glad we're on the same page now.

This stuff is particularly frustrating, because as RobiWan alluded, it's been there for a few years at least.

Interesting that as claimed above this behaviour does not show up on Mac.
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby xplatinum » Thu May 03, 2018 3:04 pm

It is very frustrating. How can this still be broken after YEARS. I'm starting to think that it will never be fixed else it would already have been.

/edit : I would love to have a dev/mod input on this. Something more promising than "it's on our list". This has been on "the list" for years already. I'm all for paying more for top tier applications but this is basic functionality bug that affects a whole platform when selecting "all images".
xplatinum

Postby RobiWan » Thu May 03, 2018 4:36 pm

xplatinum wrote:It is very frustrating. How can this still be broken after YEARS. I'm starting to think that it will never be fixed else it would already have been.

I think it's easy to explain
1. The primary development and support!!! platform is OSX (mostly when I report a BUG comes back, we can not reproduce. Only when I ask if they have really tried on Windows, comes a confirmation.). After years hat C1 on Windows no programming interface (Powershell). For years, however, there is AppleScript support under OSX

2. I think C1 has more OSX user
3. In German forums, I read very often that people do not report BUGs on Windows because they do not expect them to ever be fixed. People are building any workarounds instead of banging on fixing the problem

There are some other points that are very frustrating, so by the end of the year I will switch to other like my very good software (ON1 Photo RAW). I'm over 100 EUR / year for small BUG fixing too much. Above all, the support is very bad in my opinion.
I had also several times told the support, how to significantly alleviate the compatibility problems between Media Pro and C1 - not interested.
RobiWan

Postby xplatinum » Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 pm

RobiWan wrote:
xplatinum wrote:It is very frustrating. How can this still be broken after YEARS. I'm starting to think that it will never be fixed else it would already have been.

I think it's easy to explain
1. The primary development and support!!! platform is OSX (mostly when I report a BUG comes back, we can not reproduce. Only when I ask if they have really tried on Windows, comes a confirmation.). After years hat C1 on Windows no programming interface (Powershell). For years, however, there is AppleScript support under OSX

2. I think C1 has more OSX user

I get that but then why charge the same amount for both platforms? It's absurd that Windows users are getting less quality and support.
xplatinum

Next

Return to Capture One 11.x Software