Blurry, poor quality Preview

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Blurry, poor quality Preview

Postby Hegel 59 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:30 am

The preview of images is so blurry I cannot make decisions on sharpness and contrast with this software.

On some images - that show a great deal of details, the whole image gets trashed and you can't even look at it because all the details are smeared and blurry.

I have attached two files, one called "DPP" that shows previews by Canon's RAW converter, and another, called "Capture One"

It shows that the Canon preview shows what this image was about: the immense detail of California desert landscape. In Capture One you just see a smear - as if Capture 1 was short-sighted by 2 diopters and had cataract problems.

I Just see I cannot attach images here. I hope you still get what I mean (I opened a case with tech support and they have the sample images)
Hegel 59

Re: Blurry, poor quality Preview

Postby Harry25 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am

Are you maybe talking about the quality it the thumbnails in the browser view?
That is a well known "feature" of C1, and one that I find extremely annoying as it means browsing through your images is not a good as experience as it should be, but I got almost flamed last time I brought it up in a post...
I don't understand how a program of this caliber doesn't have a setting to specify the size and quality of the thumbnail previews.

If you're talking about the viewer, there is one setting in Preferences where you can specify the preview image size.
Harry25

Postby Hegel 59 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm talking about the viewer - where you do adjustments.

The preview is absolutely sub-par and a problem of the application itself. I have adjusted the settings to my monitor settings of 2560 pixels.

The preview is so bad you can't use it to adjust contrast. In detailed images you can't even look at the image as a reference as all the details are blurred and smeared, like an ultra-high compressed jpeg.

Awful and unworkable.

The processing quality is good - so I no longer use most of the adjustment tools as I'd be flying blind, and do everything in Photoshop.
Hegel 59

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Hegel 59 wrote:I'm talking about the viewer - where you do adjustments.

The preview is absolutely sub-par and a problem of the application itself. I have adjusted the settings to my monitor settings of 2560 pixels.

The preview is so bad you can't use it to adjust contrast. In detailed images you can't even look at the image as a reference as all the details are blurred and smeared, like an ultra-high compressed jpeg.

Awful and unworkable.

The processing quality is good - so I no longer use most of the adjustment tools as I'd be flying blind, and do everything in Photoshop.

Two observations.

Firstly there is no file attachment facility in this forum so illustrations need to be stored somewhere else and linked from here.

Secondly your experience is clearly not the same as the majority of users but there have been some similar forum threads in the past so it is not unique. It sounds like, for some reason, the processing of your Preview files is not completing.

I think your best option is to create a Support Case with the Capture One Support team and let them work with you to identify and resolve your problem.

Try this link and scroll down to the "Contact Support" area at the bottom of the page.

https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby photoGrant » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Hegel 59 wrote:I'm talking about the viewer - where you do adjustments.

Awful and unworkable.

Can you host the image showing the issue? Or e-mail it. Contact website in the profile, I'll post it.
Last edited by photoGrant on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photoGrant

Postby Harry25 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Just a silly thought: you have tried Regenerating Previews, right? (maybe the preview generation got interrupted or something)
My raws are from a Canon 5D Mark IV, and I can assure you that images are displayed with no loss of detail in the viewer, with 2560px preview (on a MacBook Pro, 15" 2017)
Harry25

Return to Capture One 11.x Software