Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Postby Dinarius » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 pm

1. Radial Gradient Masks.
2. The option of fully manual Lens Corrections - especially for Chromatic Aberration - just copy what Adobe Camera RAW has. It's superb.
3. The facility to round-trip to Helicon Focus; which Phase MF back users have had since 9.0.

Anything else.........?

D.
Last edited by Dinarius on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinarius

Re: Capture One 12.0 wishlist....?

Postby WPNL » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:58 pm

1 - HDR / Focus stacking

2 - Vector masking

3 - Blur / bokeh tool

4 - The ability to overwrite files during export
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26760&hilit=overwrite
Last edited by WPNL on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WPNL

Re: Capture One 12.0 wishlist....?

Postby IanL » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Ability to put cloned variants into collections separate from their parent variant. What I want to do is create cloned variants and then put one into my B&W collection and one into my panorama collection each with totally different edits.
IanL

Re: Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Postby pope » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:28 pm

My number one feature would be tools to work on the image based on luminosity values - I want to be able to target just the highlights and then make a mask from that and work purely on that.

Next would be the ability to load a bunch of RAW files into Photoshop or Affinity Photo as layers - Just make one tiff from all the adjustments with each image as its own layer. I suppose that's how the Helicon Focus integration would work too?

After that it would be for Vector masking, which would make radial masking possible.
pope

Postby Dinarius » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 pm

4. To be able to edit in Lab (e.g. Curves) not just have Lab readouts.

D.
Dinarius

Postby GrahamB3 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 am

Add color profiles as easily as in Lightroom.

Graham
AMD Ryzen 2700x, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 1960 6GB, Win10 pro.
GrahamB3

Postby Roger_3006 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:50 am

The ability to open multiple images from Capture One into one image in Photoshop as layers. I did not ask for focus stacking this time around but please make it easy for me to get someplace that will focus stack.

The ability to view and turn Focus Mask on and off from Capture pilot.

Fix the bugs everyone squawks about to lower the noise up in here.

Every new version is better.

I like the software. 8)
Roger_3006

Postby cdc » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am

The ability for the color editor to make masks based on white/grey/black, ie, luminosity masks.
cdc

Postby Manara » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:46 pm

1. Please allow to edit the selection of a gradient mask, defining or modifying with precision the strongest zone and the transition zone with the mouse. Most serious raw editors have been doing this for years. Gradient mask is a basic tool for landscape photographers, and the usability of this tool in C1 is subpar. Usually it takes me several selections, or additional modifications with the brush, to achieve the selection that I want.

2. Please allow stacking of images in the Library for all images in a collection, not just variants (i.e., for HDR purposes).

3. Please allow double clicking for hide/show viewer. I can't understand why users that prefer to use the mouse instead of the keyboard must be punished using one mouse click for one movement, and the keyboard for another. I want to be able to go back and forth with the mouse. Plus, the double-click action is not used for anything else, afaik.

#2 and # 3 were submitted time ago as a feature request to Phase One, with no success.

Thank you.
Manara

Postby Ian3 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 pm

On your #3, the double click action is actually used to zoom to 100%, and back again to fit (if you have the hand tool selected).

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Dinarius wrote:1. Radial Gradient Masks.
2. The option of fully manual Lens Corrections - especially for Chromatic Aberration - just copy what Adobe Camera RAW has. It's superb.
3. The facility to round-trip to Helicon Focus; which Phase MF back users have had since 9.0.

Anything else.........?

D.

For your 3.

As I understand it the Phase backs with the capability are specifically shooting groups of images and identifying accordingly them in camera thus making the functionality possible in the way it has been implemented.

What do other camera providers offer that might be adaptable to use the same functionality? How consistent are the design concepts they have adopted?

Grant
SFA

Postby SFA » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Manara wrote:
2. Please allow stacking of images in the Library for all images in a collection, not just variants (i.e., for HDR purposes).

What do you mean by Stacking in this context?

A specific "collection" of images that can be exported together and organised in the target image merge software?

Or something more than that in terms of the order of processing in some way or some other functionality that tells the merging software what to do with each of the images in terms preferences for the processing rules?

Across different merge software are there standards for such information that C1 could deploy?

Grant
SFA

Postby Class A » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:03 am

Does anyone else would like to have more control over vignetting?

There should be a means to control the feathering, the roundness of the corners, and extent (how far inwards the effect applies).

I agree regarding editing gradients. It is a pity that one cannot tweak gradients but always has to start from scratch. It is often a continued "trial and error" process for me.

Being able to open several images as layers in Photoshop would be very nice.

BTW, I don't understand why right-clicking on the viewer area around an image (the one showing the background colour) does not bring up a context menu which supports changing the background colour. I often want to judge how an image looks on white background but normally prefer to work with a darker background colour. Going through the preferences every time is so cumbersome.

P.S.: I guess if one really wants to see something new in C1, one should make a feature request to Phase One. This forum is mainly meant for users talking to other users.
Class A

Postby SFA » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:36 am

Interesting thoughts Class A.

I vignette, historically, is something to do with lens abilities isn't it? Round or elliptical depending on the equipment and format being shot.

Graphically one can make one something else of course to suit modern tastes .... but where does a "just like the very old film days" vignette feature stop and a local adjustment layer technique, especially now with opacity adjustment added, start?

I understand your interest in gradients and maybe it's just me but when I have used adjustable gradients I have always found myself repeating actions many times and taking ages to fail to get what I thought I was looking for despite the effort.

The C1 approach, though seeming perhaps rudimentary, is at least quick to apply and adjust by re-applying or adding final tweaks by adjusting the mask. I think it is actually somewhat smarter than it appears to be in some ways, not least because it is just creating some sort of mask that can be edited and the length of the line drawn also affects the rate of the gradient. Having become used to it I rather like it and I doubt I would often find a fully adjustable version an improvement compared to the current approach for the gradient and then modifying it, is required, as one would an mask.

I have to confess I rarely stack anything so have no inclination on support or non-support of the idea. However as with many image blending programs (I have used a few but not for some years now) programs like PS (which I don't have) and Affinity (which I do have) seem these days to have quite simple ways to be pointed at a set of files to be merged and then ingest them. Which leads me to think that, since they are the programs doing the merge work, all that is really required is for any preparatory programs to be able to deliver the required files to the location from which the merging program can pick them up.

That's pretty easy with an Output Process in C1. So what am I missing about stacking in the context here? What specific features would offer a lot more than PS, Affinity or whichever, are currently able to do as part of their ingestion of files for merging purposes?

Would such extended functionality be common to all external Merge programs?

As I said it has been a while since I ran with any stacking and things may have moved on.

Grant
SFA

Postby Class A » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:22 am

SFA wrote:Graphically one can make one something else of course to suit modern tastes .... but where does a "just like the very old film days" vignette feature stop and a local adjustment layer technique, especially now with opacity adjustment added, start?

Sure, what I'm after goes beyond emulating natural lens vignetting.

If the default setting of a more general vignetting tool corresponded to natural lens vignetting, I believe everyone could be happy. If you don't tweak any of the additional parameters then you only get the current behaviour. However, for those after more artistic effects, there would be options.

BTW, a more general vignetting feature could be emulated by flexible radial gradients. Radial gradients should support anything between circles and very oblong ellipses, plus of course feathering, extent, and inversion, so a radial gradient placed in the centre of an image could serve as a vignetting tool.

SFA wrote:The C1 approach [to creating gradients], though seeming perhaps rudimentary, is at least quick to apply and adjust by re-applying or adding final tweaks by adjusting the mask.

I don't see any conflict.

The current C1 approach to creating gradients could be left as it is. The only addition that needs to be made is to, after the gradient has been created, show some controls that support defining the extent, angle, and feathering of the gradient.

Anyone coping with the current approach could just ignore the controls. Anyone, like myself, who often needs to have repeated goes at drawing a gradient (which has to be done almost blindly with only very little guidance), could use the controls to tweak the gradient into place.

Any such gradient could still be modified by other means, e.g., brush strokes, as the overall mask associated to a layer should just be a superimposition of all contributing masks.

SFA wrote:I have to confess I rarely stack anything so have no inclination on support or non-support of the idea. ... Which leads me to think that, since they are the programs doing the merge work, all that is really required is for any preparatory programs to be able to deliver the required files to the location from which the merging program can pick them up.

Yes, but that means setting up the right location upon export and then navigating to the same location with your post-processing software.

It is much more convenient and quicker, if a (potentially temporary) folder is used behind the scenes by C1.
Class A

Next

Return to Capture One 11.x Software