What Is Processing When I Open C1 on "All Images"?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

What Is Processing When I Open C1 on "All Images"?

Postby pope » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm

So when I open Capture One and I go to Catalog Collections > All Images, I will sometimes see my photos all out of order. Then I will see an orange progress disc which gets updated as C1 reads all of the images off of my external hard drive. Now if I try scrolling, the image order jumps all over the place making it very annoying to use.

That means I need to wait for all of the images to be checked before I can scroll through the images or use the Filters. So I should say, I can select a Filter, but the images that match that filter aren't immediately available. I know this because the filter might say I have 10 images that match, but maybe 4 will show up after a second and then the other 6 a few seconds after that.

What's going on? Is it re-indexing everything on start up? I've performed this with and without my hard drive attached, so I'm not sure what it's reading. Is there something that I can do to speed that up?

For reference, my catalog is about 18k.
pope

Re: What Is Processing When I Open C1 on "All Images"?

Postby cdc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 pm

I can't speak to catalogs because I only use sessions. I also use Capture One on both Windows & Mac machines. Each time I revisit a session on the windows machine it takes a little while to load previews when I navigate through different folders where on the Mac this is not an issue, previews are built and images are ready for viewing. This came up recently in another post here and I believe someone pointed out that this is normal operation for C1.

Perhaps you could start a support ticket and see what response they give you. It can be frustrating.
cdc

Postby pope » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 am

Oh man! You're right! If I open the catalog on a Mac the thing is instant and works like I expect (where it may take a bit for the previews to load, but I'm OK with that). That's bananas. Yeah, I will start a support ticket. Thanks
pope

Postby David532 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:51 pm

I've just learnt to be patient :(
David532

Postby NNN636481146136313729 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:24 am

So I get this as well - Windows machine - but what I also get is that on the left, where I select a filter, it will say I have 8 photos, but there are none showing in the viewer, where it says 0 images.

Sometimes it will say 18 and there will be like 10. Other times it is correct.

Question is, where are all the images that filter says it should be showing??
NNN636481146136313729

Postby SFA » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:34 am

NNN636481146136313729 wrote:So I get this as well - Windows machine - but what I also get is that on the left, where I select a filter, it will say I have 8 photos, but there are none showing in the viewer, where it says 0 images.

Two thoughts.

Firstly if you have any secondary filters in play the re-assessment process as you open C1 (possible off line changes since the last open for example - need to be checked for) may show a discrepancy of numbers.

Secondly if you have multiple variants of an image and each has its own values (which they do) BUT they are no being shown in expanded mode (not expanded would be the default) the count of possible images may be different to a count of what is visible.

And of course the other possibility is that there is an error somewhere. Plus it may all get a a little more complicated depending on whether you are viewing an Album, Smart Album and so on.

Grant
SFA

Postby David532 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:10 pm

SFA wrote:
NNN636481146136313729 wrote:So I get this as well - Windows machine - but what I also get is that on the left, where I select a filter, it will say I have 8 photos, but there are none showing in the viewer, where it says 0 images.

Two thoughts.

Firstly if you have any secondary filters in play the re-assessment process as you open C1 (possible off line changes since the last open for example - need to be checked for) may show a discrepancy of numbers.

Secondly if you have multiple variants of an image and each has its own values (which they do) BUT they are no being shown in expanded mode (not expanded would be the default) the count of possible images may be different to a count of what is visible.

And of course the other possibility is that there is an error somewhere. Plus it may all get a a little more complicated depending on whether you are viewing an Album, Smart Album and so on.

Grant

No, I am afraid this is a "feature" of Captuire One Catalogue on Windows. You just have to sit twiddling your thumbs till everything has loaded -Six and a half minuters on my 37000 image catalogue.
David532

Postby SFA » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:29 pm

David532 wrote:
SFA wrote:

Two thoughts.

Grant

No, I am afraid this is a "feature" of Captuire One Catalogue on Windows. You just have to sit twiddling your thumbs till everything has loaded -Six and a half minuters on my 37000 image catalogue.

I see the same with Sessions although typically the numbers of images involved will be less.

What it is basically doing is verifying that all the related information can be found and pre-loading information into memory trying to get to a point where any last edited/position when last closed information allows the activity to be re-instated and then will attempt to predict where you might head next - so the images next to the one you last accessed although what "next to" means may be variable according to context.

The idea seems to be that, once loaded, a slicker result can be acheived especially when processing a batch of images in a pre-defined order.

Whist that idea may not work for everyone all of the time it is, on balance, probably better than just looking for stuff randomly on demand - especially when "batch" processing a shoot. And that is likely where the issues people have with the time it takes to do anything (in life) will have the greatest focus and offer the best potential for good results.

If one has the time for a "random walk" though a number of images the chance are that the odd second or two of performance loss may not be that much of a problem for most people. But a "batch" almost always demands instant response.

Grant
SFA

Postby RobiWan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Now this is a BUG in Windows Version and Phase One will them not resolve!!! because it needs a database redesign.

My preference is use smal/ compact sessions and for managing (DAM) different software (PhotoSupreme as example. Media Pro has no active development)
RobiWan

Postby JuanS » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Sorry. Just bumping this back to the top because it's such a BIG PAIN. These performance issues are ridiculous especially if you're a subscriber to the software and pay monthly for none of your issues to get worked on.
JuanS

Postby David532 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:14 pm

NNN636568338569090854 wrote:Sorry. Just bumping this back to the top because it's such a BIG PAIN. These performance issues are ridiculous especially if you're a subscriber to the software and pay monthly for none of your issues to get worked on.

It's about time phase bit the bullet and put the current catalogue function out of its misery and started again or accepted that Capture One is strictly a RAW converter and concentrated on the session work flow.

Dave.
David532

Return to Capture One 11.x Software