Noise reduction

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Noise reduction

Postby Maggie12 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:32 pm

I'm curious how are others dealing with noise reduction in C1. This is a topic I revisit every time there there is a new release of the software.
I just can't get the NR to look good out of C1. For comparison here is one from C1 and one from ACR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd8wvj8u1znrxb0/1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7kxxj95vs4s29l/2.jpg?dl=0
Maggie12

Re: Noise reduction

Postby Lorenzen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi
Your at not doing anything wrong the noise reduction is close to none compered to ACR or PS
i use Nik plugins to do so when i shoot high ISO shoots
Henrik
Sometimes i am so negative that i can't be developed
Mac book pro 1 TB ssd Nikon D3,D200 and D90
Lorenzen

Postby SFA » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Maggie12 wrote:I'm curious how are others dealing with noise reduction in C1. This is a topic I revisit every time there there is a new release of the software.
I just can't get the NR to look good out of C1. For comparison here is one from C1 and one from ACR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd8wvj8u1znrxb0/1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7kxxj95vs4s29l/2.jpg?dl=0

Which is which?
SFA

Postby Maggie12 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:19 pm

SFA wrote:Which is which?

The better one is ACR and the worse one is C1
Maggie12

Postby peter.f » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:22 pm

At what zoom level are we looking? Did you try to print it? Or downsample for screen?

The max NR I dial in is 1 for the Color noise, and only when I go over 1600 ISO and need to add exposure. Last week I shot at 3200 and added 2 to 3 stops (needed a fast shutter speed) and lifted the shadows. Color NR at 1, other at 0. OK, the noise is definitely visible, but that's the way it is.

Or maybe it's the Fuji… :-)
X-T1, X100S; MBP 15" 2010, 8GB, OSX 10.11.4; Catalog on SSD, ref'd images on external USB2.
peter.f

Postby SFA » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Maggie12 wrote:
SFA wrote:Which is which?

The better one is ACR and the worse one is C1

Maggie,

I don't mean this to sound critical of the image but given the subject matter and the lack of larger context (the whole image) or a reference to the real size, I think they both look "not great" but for different reasons and only if I pixel peep at 100% (of whatever the scale was when loaded to dropbox.)

I would hazard a guess that the top reference is C1 - detail present but typical brown subject colouring noise to deal with via some clever tweaking yet to be fully discovered.

The second one is smoother but has lost a lot of detail in parts.

In the other hand if it is a small part of a large print that would be viewed from several feet away usually - then I would think that either image, as adjusted, would probably fine and fit for purpose.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Maggie12 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:43 am

SFA wrote:
Maggie,

I don't mean this to sound critical of the image but given the subject matter and the lack of larger context (the whole image) or a reference to the real size, I think they both look "not great" but for different reasons and only if I pixel peep at 100% (of whatever the scale was when loaded to dropbox.)

I would hazard a guess that the top reference is C1 - detail present but typical brown subject colouring noise to deal with via some clever tweaking yet to be fully discovered.

The second one is smoother but has lost a lot of detail in parts.

In the other hand if it is a small part of a large print that would be viewed from several feet away usually - then I would think that either image, as adjusted, would probably fine and fit for purpose.

HTH.

Grant

Hi Grant,

This is a small crop of an image viewed in Photoshop at 100%. Of course they are both not great but as there is NR applied and shadows opened up etc. but the point is that one is better than the other. I'm not saying one is amazing and the other is not. Both not great but one is better than the other. Yes, the top one is C1.
I'm not concerned how it will look when viewed from several feet away. There is a reason I view my images at 100%, because I like to see what is going on to the pixels and in my opinion the C1 looks worse than ACR. I was hoping that C1 would eventually work on NR so I could use it for more tasks. This strange paint like filter look that the NR in C1 creates has been like this from I think version 3 or 4 and has not been improved. So I keep hoping that one day it will happen.
Maggie12

Postby SFA » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:17 am

Hi Maggie,

But the second example just looks smudged to me at that scale with detail disappearing. A sort of compressed JPG look.

Whether that would really matter ultimately depends on how the image is to be used.

And of course the preferences of the person creating the image!

Ideally I like to try to limit the NR to the darkest parts of the problem areas and any especially notable large consistent patches - like skies for example. It can take a bit of work and is not always worth the effort of course.

Grant
SFA

Postby Maggie12 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:46 am

SFA wrote:Hi Maggie,

But the second example just looks smudged to me at that scale with detail disappearing. A sort of compressed JPG look.

Whether that would really matter ultimately depends on how the image is to be used.

And of course the preferences of the person creating the image!

Ideally I like to try to limit the NR to the darkest parts of the problem areas and any especially notable large consistent patches - like skies for example. It can take a bit of work and is not always worth the effort of course.

Grant

Are you saying that the second example looks more smudged than the first one? Because to me it's exactly the opposite.
Maggie12

Postby J M T » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:08 am

Try -15 clarity (top slider) and noise reduction on about 30 (all sliders) :idea:

In my opinion Capture One has better image quality than ACR, but the high midtone contrast in Capture One and the default 50 noise reduction can sometimes give a "painterly" look in the shadows.
Mac mini (Late 2012) 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad core / 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB / Apple cinema display 20" / Canon cameras and lenses / Capture One 10.2.1
J M T

Postby Maggie12 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:42 pm

J M T wrote:Try -15 clarity (top slider) and noise reduction on about 30 (all sliders) :idea:

In my opinion Capture One has better image quality than ACR, but the high midtone contrast in Capture One and the default 50 noise reduction can sometimes give a "painterly" look in the shadows.

Which clarity method do I change to -15? Natural? Punch? Neutral? or Classic?
Maggie12

Postby J M T » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Maggie12 wrote:
J M T wrote:Try -15 clarity (top slider) and noise reduction on about 30 (all sliders) :idea:

Which clarity method do I change to -15? Natural? Punch? Neutral? or Classic?

I switch between neutral and classic to see what works best, neutral is a little more subtle in its effect so maybe i use -20 or something with that one.

"Punch" is a little different, it also affect colors, so i only use that one to boost clarity.
Mac mini (Late 2012) 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad core / 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB / Apple cinema display 20" / Canon cameras and lenses / Capture One 10.2.1
J M T

Return to Capture One 10.x Software