Quick noob questions

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Quick noob questions

Postby NNN637152094850644837 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am

Hey guys, I just switched to CP 20, coming from Lightroom. And I have some questions about the programme

1) is there a way to reset all adjustments, except te crop?
2) is it correct to say that you can't paste adjustments to layers, only to the general background layer? I sometimes can't copy / paste an adjustment. And it feels like this is because of the type of layer that im on. So im just checking to see if this is correct.
3) is there a way to read the brightness reading from an small area? Right now..it shows the brightness value of the location of your cursor. But I would like to know the value of a small area so i can see the general level of exposure of that area..
4) can you toggle adjustment layes on and of with a shortcut?
5) right now... i have cropped my images.. but the crop overlay is still visible in the browser. I would like the browser to show me the images with the crop applied, not with the overlay still visible. Is this possible?
6) in brightness values, what would be a general value for caucasian skin in normal light settings. 170? Are there any references for brightness skin values maybe?

thanks guys!
NNN637152094850644837

Re: Quick noob questions

Postby IanS » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm

NNN637152094850644837 wrote:Hey guys, I just switched to CP 20, coming from Lightroom. And I have some questions about the programme

1) is there a way to reset all adjustments, except te crop?
2) is it correct to say that you can't paste adjustments to layers, only to the general background layer? I sometimes can't copy / paste an adjustment. And it feels like this is because of the type of layer that im on. So im just checking to see if this is correct.
3) is there a way to read the brightness reading from an small area? Right now..it shows the brightness value of the location of your cursor. But I would like to know the value of a small area so i can see the general level of exposure of that area..
4) can you toggle adjustment layes on and of with a shortcut?
5) right now... i have cropped my images.. but the crop overlay is still visible in the browser. I would like the browser to show me the images with the crop applied, not with the overlay still visible. Is this possible?
6) in brightness values, what would be a general value for caucasian skin in normal light settings. 170? Are there any references for brightness skin values maybe?

thanks guys!

Couple of answers:

2) Layers hold local adjustments and you can copy layers from one image to another, as well as from layer to layer in an individual image. Remember that you also have the option to invert layers. General image adjustments you can copy and paste.

3) Press and hold on the droppers icon in the centre top toolbar (3rd from right in default layout) and you can add as many colour readouts to various parts of the image using the "add colour readout " icon. Readout is RGB and Luma.

4) Yes, just set whatever shortcut key you want to use as a toggle. See main "Edit" menu and option "Edit keyboard shortcuts".

5) No set values but make sure you take a look at the "Skin Tone " tab in the Advanced Colour Editor where you can select and adjust hue, saturation and lightness as normal but also the uniformity of these three adjustments.

Ian
IanS

Re: Quick noob questions

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:36 pm

NNN637152094850644837 wrote:1) is there a way to reset all adjustments, except te crop?

1) No, not with one stroke or command.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows