How to Switch to Capture One for Phase One (DB version)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

How to Switch to Capture One for Phase One (DB version)

Postby NNN635249720850392558 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:48 am

I am using p45 +.
How do I switch from Capture One Pro 20 trial to Capture One 20 for Phase One (DB version)?
NNN635249720850392558

Re: How to Switch to Capture One for Phase One (DB version)

Postby Ulf » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:54 am

Hi
First obtain a DB license, here is how to:
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article?articleid=1000&languageid=1

Then in the Windows version, go to Help - License and choose to deactivate your current license.
After restart, use your new DB key.

If you need assistance, then contact Phase One Premium support for Phase One camera owners:
https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby C-M-B » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am

Seriously? Now the DB version is not usable without first obtaining a license key?
Why? Until now people who rented a back (at great cost!) could work on the files without any issues by simply selecting the DB version.
Are they now required to also purchase a license of CaptureOne in addition to paying the high rent fees on the cameras?

Shouldn't you then order the rental companies to lower the rent fees considerably? Otherwise you're just milking customers.
C-M-B

Postby Ulf » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:50 am

Hi

The key is completely free of charge!
Yes it might be a bit of inconveniences compared to previous.
Also, if anyone need a DB key to work on IIQ files but do not own Phase One gear to register. Then of course we in support will arrange for a product key for anyone that needs it.

For anyone that reads this and are not familiar with Capture One DB; this is a completely free software version of Capture One which is full featured but does only work with IIQ files from a Phase One camera back or MOS files from a Leaf Aptus-II camera back. Both are medium format solutions produced by Phase One.
For more information, please see here:
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Photography
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby C-M-B » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:58 pm

Then why are you doing this?

This makes no sense if it's only more complicated and takes up resources and time from your support team and it's for free anyway. :roll:

Are they then required to give a DB-key if someone asks for it? Or can they do it? And is that just a temporary key (like the trial) for a key without expiration date?

There's nothing on your page indicating that getting a DB key from support for a not registered product would be a possibility - and people who are not informed (which is everyone except the lucky few who read it here) will feel forced to buy it. I would go so far as to call that at best very misleading and at worst deceitful.

The same goes for the update notifications that pop up with CaptureOne v12 DB telling you there's an update for a registered product - and then it turns out to be CaptureOne 20. You might click on that and download/install the new version and then you need a key.
Nobody tells you that you can get one from support for free, there's no indication for that anywhere and all you think you're left with is buying a license.

The DB version isn't even listed on the Capture One homepage. I can't find it under products or pricing or trial. Nowhere.

Basically you're now charging for the DB version by making it so nontransparent and pretty much impossible for people to even know about its existence. If someone gets a 2nd hand PhaseOne back they wouldn't even know about the DB version, same goes for someone who rents it for a job (being told by the rental company that they can edit the images afterwards in Capture One for free).

If another company in another field would behave this way they would quickly get in trouble with consumer protection agencies.

(I'm talking about captureone.com because the phaseone.com page does not even show CaptureOne as a product any more)
C-M-B

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Oh, come on, C-M-B! It's not that hard to have to get a key. And it's of no use to anyone except those with Phase One cameras (or at least Phase One files to edit). It's the same now, for better or for worse, with the 30-day trial: you need a trail key for that too. I don't know why it was changed, but I can't get very worked up about something that seems to be no big deal.

And someone who wasn't sure asked this morning how to switch to DB, and very soon someone from the company provided the answer.

Not really worth a rant, I'd say.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:41 pm

"How to activate Capture One 20 for Phase One (Phase One/Mamiya Leaf Digital Back support only)? "

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004126017

And for wider interest re activation keys.

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002465337-Capture-One-product-variants

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:41 pm

Ian3 wrote:Oh, come on, C-M-B! It's not that hard to have to get a key. And it's of no use to anyone except those with Phase One cameras (or at least Phase One files to edit). It's the same now, for better or for worse, with the 30-day trial: you need a trail key for that too. I don't know why it was changed, but I can't get very worked up about something that seems to be no big deal.

And someone who wasn't sure asked this morning how to switch to DB, and very soon someone from the company provided the answer.

Not really worth a rant, I'd say.

Ian

Could you show me where on captureone.com it says "CaptureOne DB"? And where it says "to get a key without a registered product simply contact support"?

I can tell you where: nowhere.

It's not a big deal for you or me but it's a big deal for new phaseone photographers, especially those who buy on the 2nd hand market. How are they supposed to know about it?

I can tell you how: not at all.

"NOTE: Only digital back serial number will generate a license key. You can register camera bodies and lenses as well which will show you the warranty status."

That's what it says on the page linked to by Grant and Ulf.

Now if I were a photographer who wants to work in CaptureOne using a rented digital back - that would suggest to me that I can't get a license key without registering a valid serial number. So I'd have to buy a license. How would or should he/she know that it's free if you just ask for it?

That just sounds like they're making the process intentionally cumbersome, inconvenient and difficult in order to get as many people to buy a license as possible (even if they don't need to). That's some shady business practice.

Also: if you look closely you'll see some interesting detail right below the linked article:

Was this article helpful?
10 out of 76 found this helpful

I think that pretty much proves my point.
C-M-B

Postby Keith Reeder » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 pm

C-M-B wrote:Also: if you look closely you'll see some interesting detail right below the linked article:
Was this article helpful?
10 out of 76 found this helpful

I think that pretty much proves my point.

It proves absolutely nothing. Many of the Help items in the User Guide are in negative "Useful" figures, because some people just can't help themselves.

Ian's right - it's not a big deal by any stretch of the imagination. It's really not difficult simply to accept that something is now being done slightly differently than before.
Keith Reeder

Postby Keith Reeder » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:46 pm

C-M-B wrote:If another company in another field would behave this way they would quickly get in trouble with consumer protection agencies.

And why would that be, then?
Keith Reeder

Postby C-M-B » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:32 am

Keith Reeder wrote:
C-M-B wrote:If another company in another field would behave this way they would quickly get in trouble with consumer protection agencies.

And why would that be, then?

Because in the EU consumer rights is taken quite seriously and intentionally misleading business practices can result in quite severe penalties.

PhaseOne should probably take a look at the "Directive 2005/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 May 2005 concerning unfair business-to-consumer commercial practices". :idea:

for example: If a customer is eligible to receive a certain product for free (and the company has advertised this for years and profited from providing and spreading this product it to this customers for free) it is certainly not fair or transparent to suddenly put obstacles in the way of the customer and keep vital information from them in order to make it harder for him/her to get access to that product so that he/she might feel forced to purchase this product.

PhaseOne always made a big deal out of CaptureOne and how the DB version is free for people who shoot with their backs and/or simply have to work with their file format. Now suddenly it's all very hush hush and even though it's still free (according to their own staff) it's not even listed on their product page and the process of obtaining a key without a serial number is not publicly available.
And they have not come up with a good reason for doing so. What's the advantage for them, if not to force users to buy a license for a product that is (according to them) free.
C-M-B

Postby Ulf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:19 am

HI
This thread as come to an end and I will close it down since it not constructive in terms of purpose of this forum.

I just want to address one thing:
Now if I were a photographer who wants to work in CaptureOne using a rented digital back - that would suggest to me that I can't get a license key without registering a valid serial number. So I'd have to buy a license. How would or should he/she know that it's free if you just ask for it?

Of course a company that rents Phase One camera equipment would supply relevant software for the camera so it can operate. So this should not be an issue.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows