move subset of files externally

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

move subset of files externally

Postby NNN636749878567953047 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:56 am

I haven't been using CO too long, and I came from LR.

Somehow, I've managed to build a catalog that has files spread across two drives (call them A and B). My main storage directory is on drive B, but I have metadata (ratings,etc) associated with photos on drive A in the catalog.

I want to move the photos from drive A to B while maintaining metadata within the CO catalog, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it (without having to do a per-photo "relocate" command after copying all the files from A --> B).

I feel like I must be missing something fundamental about how CO is supposed to work...
NNN636749878567953047

Re: move subset of files externally

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:51 am

The key to this is not to move the files using Windows Explorer. Instead, do it within Capture One, using the Library tools. Find the files on Drive A that you want to move then drag and drop them to the desired location on Drive B (within the Library tool Folders section. That way, Capture One keeps track of where the image files are.

Alternatively, if you have moved a whole folder of images from Drive A to Drive B, you can use the Locate function to tell Capture One where the whole folder is - you don't have to do it image-by-image. Right click the folder in the Folders section and choose Locate...

Ian

Edited to add: you may well want to keep everything together on one drive, but a Capture One catalog can work OK with images on more than one drive.
Ian3

Re: move subset of files externally

Postby NNN636749878567953047 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ian, and the general info.

The trouble is that the files are spread out across multiple folders, and I don't see an obvious way within CO to filter files by path—are you aware of any such function? What it seems like I'd want is to do a search for all files containing "A:" and move them, but it doesn't seem straightforward to do so.
NNN636749878567953047

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows