The Openwith plugin is affecting the C1 startup duration

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

The Openwith plugin is affecting the C1 startup duration

Postby Samoreen » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi,

Even if you are not interested in using external editors, you should have a look at this discussion :

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=37338

It shows how the very bad implementation of this feature/plugin is affecting the time needed to launch C1.
Samoreen

Re: The Openwith plugin is affecting the C1 startup duration

Postby ClauS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Probably you had better copy your post here if you wanted to start a new thread than opening it just to cross reference another one in the same section. Why should people go there to read and get back to reply here? Otherwise what's the point of telling people to go and read something they already see? :?
ClauS

Postby Samoreen » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:10 pm

ClauS wrote:Why should people go there to read and get back to reply here?

I didn't ask them to reply here. I use to not duplicate information in different threads. Since people not interested by the Edit with... feature wouldn't read the initial thread and because they could be affected anyway, this post is just serving as a link to a thread that could potentially interest them. Since you are already posting to the thread referred to, you didn't need to answer here, by the way :D .

MfG
Samoreen

Postby IanL » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:32 pm

And if you are wondering why everyone might be interested here is the tldr:
Of a 15s startup time 10s are spent futzing around the windows registry trying to build the list of candidate apps for the Edit with menu. This happens every time C1 starts. Every time.

So, not only are people who use the Edit with feature finding it less than stellar the rest of us are paying a fairly steep price for the way it is implemented.
IanL

Postby SFA » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:19 pm

IanL wrote:And if you are wondering why everyone might be interested here is the tldr:
Of a 15s startup time 10s are spent futzing around the windows registry trying to build the list of candidate apps for the Edit with menu. This happens every time C1 starts. Every time.

So, not only are people who use the Edit with feature finding it less than stellar the rest of us are paying a fairly steep price for the way it is implemented.

10s?

Steep?

Then shut down less often and use hibernate?
SFA

Postby ClauS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Samoreen wrote:
ClauS wrote:Why should people go there to read and get back to reply here?

I didn't ask them to reply here. I use to not duplicate information in different threads. Since people not interested by the Edit with... feature wouldn't read the initial thread and because they could be affected anyway, this post is just serving as a link to a thread that could potentially interest them. Since you are already posting to the thread referred to, you didn't need to answer here, by the way :D .

MfG

You must have me confused with another user since actually I haven't posted there. I get your point but mine was not a criticism. What I meant is that this is another specific topic so maybe it would deserve a very own thread instead of being an off topic of the other one. Other than the fact that links does not work here anymore, your link does not redirect to a specific post of yours so an interested user has to read (or at least scroll) the thread to find the information you're referring about. And if people are not expected to reply here, this topic is going to be submerged by new threads very soon (ironically this reply is keeping it alive for a little longer) while the original may survive in first page being ignored by unaware people. So this argument, even though relevant to many, could be overlooked and this thread will serve no more.

Imagine a future user looking for this topic. He will find this thread to see a link that he has to manually copy and paste to land in another thread where he has to search again for what he was looking for. That's annoying as much as this post of mine! :lol:

I still think you'd better copy your good analysis here.
ClauS

Postby IanL » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:24 pm

SFA wrote:10s?

Steep?

Then shut down less often and use hibernate?

10s out of 15s is 66% of the start up time. Yes, steep.

Does it matter when we are talking about 15s - probably not.
IanL

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows