Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby thomaskyhn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:18 pm

SFA wrote:Hi Thomas and everyone,

FWIW my experience in setting up and running support systems or helping others do so is that one has to deal with a range of 'client' types and no matter what one does some will wish to see a different approach. "Some" can appear to be a significantly large minority when it may not be in reality.

As you say, many users have the same issues and to my eyes it looks like the Capture One crew are heading along the "Look in our Support/FAQ pages" route to try to address this. Basically it looks like the plan is to set up a comprehensive and easily searchable set of detailed replies (enhanced over time as needs change and possible misunderstandings are identified) and make them available, without delays, 24/7/365.

One additional benefit of such an approach is that interaction with customers using different languages can be achieved by translating the pages if there is enough demand or at least allowing one of the on-line translation tools to make an attempt to do so, supported by readily available images, if no translation has been made.

Now, as an objective that is great and if wisely maintained and developed should prove extremely useful to the majority of users with those commonly discovered issues. It has two clear benefits over a forum.

The benefit of making Support pages and FAQ available are twofold.

Firstly it is managed and can be enhanced an structured for better searching and information standards in a way a public forum cannot. Indeed it also has the benefit of being managed much more easily and efficiently to eliminate any false or incorrect information that may creep in or where advise changes over time.

Secondly it can be (not to say it currently is) monitored for usage and comments about usefulness in a way that should be much more concisely and accurately representative than would be likely on an open forum.

(Plus the translation options mentioned above)



Of course not everyone is inclined to go looking for solutions to their problems. Some people having a preference to simply drop a request in a forum and expect a response from someone prepared to do the search work and thinking for them. Not finding available information can happen to anyone, but it seems that some people, no matter what a support system is intended to offer nor to which industry it relates, are just not strong on the concept of self help.** (See note)

For those in a forum who are happy to help out, the option to refer to a comprehensive and accurate document (or documents) that address the question would be a bonus in such situations.

The benefit of a managed support system over a forum is that it filters out some of the less than useful posts in a forum, saving a searcher from wasting their time reading irrelevant posts or, worse, following false or obsolete guidance.

Firstly the effort required to raise the request, however slight, will often discourage people who have no real commitment to seeking the answer but, in a forum, will simply pile in anyway, often because others are doing the work and they just want to be heard.

Secondly it gives a controlled communication path where, if necessary, further questions can be discussed and specific information requested in order to provide personal service for non-generic questions.

Thirdly it provides a facility to measure the level of occurrence of a problem or the level of interest in a particular change to the way the software works. (Or interest in a particular camera body or a specific lens profile, etc.)

It should also make it possible to assess which subjects would be most appropriate to address next for FAQ entries, Tutorials, Webinars, etc., and in the longer term help to define where further software development would offer the (apparent) greatest benefit for users, adding to commercial attractiveness.

I can't imagine a truly effective and efficient way to attempt that via an open forum. There may, however, be inefficient and less effective approaches possible.

I freely admit that such a Utopia is not necessarily easy to develop nor guaranteed to be successful.

However, despite the clearly problematic times over the past few weeks, if my impression of what is being attempted is accurate there does seem to be some positive progress on the FAQ/Documentation front. That, one would hope, should result in benefits for the operation of the direct email support process allowing it to get to where it was intended to be doing what it was intended to do.

After that we can properly assess its fitness for "our" purposes!

Grant

NOTE: ** This also relates to the well known management concept of giving responsibility for developing a process, usually one which is currently complex, to a lazy person since they will usually find a way to make it easier and more simple!

Open forums with participation from support personnel work for other software makers, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work here.

Only bothering to participate when it comes to ensuring premium users that they – unlike regular users – will get proper support maybe isn't the right way to engage with your customers.
thomaskyhn
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: CPH, DK

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:07 pm

thomaskyhn wrote:Open forums with participation from support personnel work for other software makers, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work here.

Only bothering to participate when it comes to ensuring premium users that they – unlike regular users – will get proper support maybe isn't the right way to engage with your customers.

Maybe so, but the most important thing is that the system is clearly understood. Many users come to this forum and try to use it as a channel of communication to a Capture One help desk for technical assistance, which it isn't.

Ian
Ian3
 
Posts: 3514
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby thomaskyhn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 pm

Ian3 wrote:
thomaskyhn wrote:Open forums with participation from support personnel work for other software makers, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work here.

Only bothering to participate when it comes to ensuring premium users that they – unlike regular users – will get proper support maybe isn't the right way to engage with your customers.

Maybe so, but the most important thing is that the system is clearly understood. Many users come to this forum and try to use it as a channel of communication to a Capture One help desk for technical assistance, which it isn't.

Ian

Whether or not the system is understood by users is a different issue.
thomaskyhn
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: CPH, DK

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 pm

thomaskyhn wrote:
Ian3 wrote:
thomaskyhn wrote:Open forums with participation from support personnel work for other software makers, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work here.

Only bothering to participate when it comes to ensuring premium users that they – unlike regular users – will get proper support maybe isn't the right way to engage with your customers.

Maybe so, but the most important thing is that the system is clearly understood. Many users come to this forum and try to use it as a channel of communication to a Capture One help desk for technical assistance, which it isn't.

Ian

Whether or not the system is understood by users is a different issue.

Indeed. I have often thought that some explanations in the Announcements and FAQs board would help, but nothing new has appeared there since 2016.

Ian
Ian3
 
Posts: 3514
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby IanL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:57 pm

SFA wrote:However, despite the clearly problematic times over the past few weeks, if my impression of what is being attempted is accurate there does seem to be some positive progress on the FAQ/Documentation front. That, one would hope, should result in benefits for the operation of the direct email support process allowing it to get to where it was intended to be doing what it was intended to do.


I think you are right. Sadly that doesn't help the people that are stuck on issues and not getting them resolved quickly - at least not right now.

My own issue has progressed to the point where support have identified part is a known issue and part is another problem for their IT. I'm not blocked at all from using the product so I am happy to wait.

SFA wrote:NOTE: ** This also relates to the well known management concept of giving responsibility for developing a process, usually one which is currently complex, to a lazy person since they will usually find a way to make it easier and more simple!


LOL. Can you imagine in a management meeting the boss saying "who here is lazy raise your hand" :D
User avatar
IanL
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:24 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:11 pm

IanL wrote:
SFA wrote:NOTE: ** This also relates to the well known management concept of giving responsibility for developing a process, usually one which is currently complex, to a lazy person since they will usually find a way to make it easier and more simple!


LOL. Can you imagine in a management meeting the boss saying "who here is lazy raise your hand" :D


I think the management principles referred to probably predate the concept of asking for volunteers.

There was a time when management teams were 'balanced' in such a way that there would always be someone suitable available for any type of task.

Also no one too smart to put the next person up the chain of command into a position of looking incompetent.

However this conflicted with the idea of promoting incompetent people to higher level jobs that were non-critical to the success of the business and keeping them quiet until they retired. Sometimes, after a reorganisation for example, they suddenly reappeared in an even more exposed role.

I'm sure that can never, ever happen these days. Or can it?
SFA
 
Posts: 7725
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby photoGrant » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:46 pm

Phase One camera owners use Capture One so it is very relevant.
It is important that Phase One camera owners know that they get the premium support which is promised them, hence why I felt it was important to let people know this if they come across this thread.


Yes, to you it may be. In fact, it might be blazingly obvious to you that Capture One support doesn't exist on a Phase One forum.

Except, there's Capture One categories, and there's been over a decade of them coming from the same domain. And to use Phase One hardware successfully, Capture One is required.

So I say again -- no one cares. They want help. You manufacture the car and the ECU software doesn't send the correct throttle response. The customer doesn't care whether it's a software or a hardware issue -- it's a manufacture defect on their VW car and they go to the VW dealership to get it fixed.

You're telling the customer as VW that in fact the developers of the ECU are subcontractors, or a separate company -- and you'll have to speak to them for help. Enjoy your VW!

Worse yet, you say you have not jurisdiction in helping Capture One related issues, but you're more than willing to jump into Capture One threads for the sakes of defence but little else. What kind of optics does that show?

If Phase wants little to do with an unofficial Capture One support forum, I will gladly host this separately and limit this kind of nascent behaviour. Make it a redirect able link at the bottom of your Phase One forum and leave us to help one another without the vague pretence there are any positives to Phase holding the keys and chiming in when convenient.
photoGrant
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: Midbest

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby thomaskyhn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 pm

photoGrant wrote:Worse yet, you say you have not jurisdiction in helping Capture One related issues, but you're more than willing to jump into Capture One threads for the sakes of defence but little else. What kind of optics does that show?

I was pretty surprised by the brazenness of that gesture and the complete lack of concern for software users that it displayed.

photoGrant wrote:If Phase wants little to do with an unofficial Capture One support forum, I will gladly host this separately and limit this kind of nascent behaviour. Make it a redirect able link at the bottom of your Phase One forum and leave us to help one another without the vague pretence there are any positives to Phase holding the keys and chiming in when convenient.

Good idea. That way no one will be under the false impression that the company will offer any support here.
thomaskyhn
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: CPH, DK

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby thomaskyhn » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:22 pm

Is anyone else waiting for response from support? Are they still as backlogged as in the beginning of January?
thomaskyhn
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: CPH, DK

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby Jason 2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:43 pm

thomaskyhn wrote:Is anyone else waiting for response from support? Are they still as backlogged as in the beginning of January?


Yes.

I can't use C1 20, because of a copy and apply adjustments problem. I have sent emails and also screen captures detailing the problem, but only received the automated standard response others seem to be getting also:

Thank you for reaching out to us.

In order to better understand what it is you would like to achieve, or what it is you are having difficulty achieving in Capture One, please provide us with a little more information about your workflow and general setup.

It's important for us to know the following:

- Which version of Capture One are you running? You can download the latest version here.
- Are you using Mac OS or Windows?
- Which camera manufacturer and model are you using?
- Do you primarily work in catalogs or sessions?
- Are your images placed on an internal or an external drive?

Before checking these things out, it's important to ensure that your system meets the requirements needed in order to run Capture One. You can find these here.

Once we have a better understanding of your workflow and what it is you wish to achieve in Capture One, we will do our best to assist further in order for you to have a smooth experience.


It's about as frustrating as it gets, especially when the support used to be so good.
Still no reply, and my problem means that C1 20 is unusable to me, which looks more and more unlikely to be resolved.
I hate Lightroom, and it's clearly awful at rendering Fuji RAF files, but I'm suffering with a dead-end paralysis with Capture One now. I might not have a choice any more.
Jason 2
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby thomaskyhn » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Jason 2 wrote:
thomaskyhn wrote:Is anyone else waiting for response from support? Are they still as backlogged as in the beginning of January?


Yes.

I can't use C1 20, because of a copy and apply adjustments problem. I have sent emails and also screen captures detailing the problem, but only received the automated standard response others seem to be getting also:

Thank you for reaching out to us.

In order to better understand what it is you would like to achieve, or what it is you are having difficulty achieving in Capture One, please provide us with a little more information about your workflow and general setup.

It's important for us to know the following:

- Which version of Capture One are you running? You can download the latest version here.
- Are you using Mac OS or Windows?
- Which camera manufacturer and model are you using?
- Do you primarily work in catalogs or sessions?
- Are your images placed on an internal or an external drive?

Before checking these things out, it's important to ensure that your system meets the requirements needed in order to run Capture One. You can find these here.

Once we have a better understanding of your workflow and what it is you wish to achieve in Capture One, we will do our best to assist further in order for you to have a smooth experience.


It's about as frustrating as it gets, especially when the support used to be so good.
Still no reply, and my problem means that C1 20 is unusable to me, which looks more and more unlikely to be resolved.
I hate Lightroom, and it's clearly awful at rendering Fuji RAF files, but I'm suffering with a dead-end paralysis with Capture One now. I might not have a choice any more.

How long is it since you submitted this request?
thomaskyhn
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: CPH, DK

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby Jason 2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 pm

thomaskyhn wrote:
Jason 2 wrote:
thomaskyhn wrote:Is anyone else waiting for response from support? Are they still as backlogged as in the beginning of January?



How long is it since you submitted this request?


Originally before xmas, but I've had to continually chase it down with my desperate "Is anyone even there?" emails.
My last response was the mentioned email on the 23rd Jan. I sent back to details as requested, and that was it.

I've had to email again today BEGGING for a response.
Jason 2
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby thomaskyhn » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Jason 2 wrote:
thomaskyhn wrote:
Jason 2 wrote:How long is it since you submitted this request?


Originally before xmas, but I've had to continually chase it down with my desperate "Is anyone even there?" emails.
My last response was the mentioned email on the 23rd Jan. I sent back to details as requested, and that was it.

I've had to email again today BEGGING for a response.

I didn't realize that they were that far behind.
thomaskyhn
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: CPH, DK

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby Triumph Steve » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:00 am

Wow, lot's of international forum drama as a result of me posting an observation that I had 3 or more support cases seem to not receive an answer. And they didn't receive an actual answer - just a follow-up e-mail asking me to rate their follow-up. To bring anyone (who cares) up to date, my computer did not have Capture One tech support's e-mails going to junk files, as some here theorized. I finally did receive a personal e-mail from Capture One that said something to the effect that as I had checked the list of "helpful hints", it caused Capture One to immediately cancel my tech support case due to the wrong assumption by Capture One that I had found an answer and solved the issue myself. (I wish I had saved it so I could have posted the full text here.) No, I didn't solve anything myself, as I was merely looking around on the web site to see how to use it. I do prefer the old style method of seeing a running dialog of my question(s) and Capture One's replies in one single "Support Case" with its own unique case #. That method seems to have gone away, and therefore has given me some confusion about how to use their new method. By the way, today's new Capture One update makes my 3 recent unanswered inquiries tech support a mute point. I had been asking if the new Leica SL2's "DNG" RAW files could be managed like the first version SL's DNG RAW files. I was only asking if I could open and manage SL2 "DNG" RAW files by using a generic DNG color profile. I was not even asking for Capture One to put the SL2 on their future support request list. Today's update, however, adds the SL2 - so thank you, Capture One tech support.




Ulf wrote:Hi Steve

I am responding to this since you wrote

There is/was the phaseone.com "Support Cases" method to ask for help, and then there is this new Capture One web site and its' somewhat different method to submit a tech support question. However, I have tied both ways, and neither one results in a company reply.


Last time you where in contact with Phase One support (phaseone.com) was in November and you had a response from Phase One support 3h later.
All your cases you have had with us, seem to have been responded to quite quickly.

As you might have noticed, the software only support is separate now and exist on captureone.com
I cannot comment on response times from this team as I am not involved with this team.

On phaseone.com however, we have exclusive premium support for owners of Phase One camera equipment. Here we provide assistance for both Phase One hardware and Capture One.
We answer within minutes during business hours and offer also phone support if needed.
Triumph Steve
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Re: Why does Capture One ignore all of my tech support cases

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:05 am

I submitted a request for help because I had never received my upgrade voucher, I had entered my email incorrectly.
I got response the following morning that they had located the problem and fixed it for me, here's your voucher.

Mind you this is sales support and not technical support, so this may be a different support group.
Eric Nepean
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 am
Location: Ottawa

Previous

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests