Image > Edit with (Photoshop) not working

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Image > Edit with (Photoshop) not working

Postby contactzero » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:58 pm

I've just upgraded mt version of C1 Pro and cannot edit in Photoshop.

Image > Edit with (Photoshop); Photoshop does not launch

Image > Open with (Photoshop); Photoshop launches but a message is displayed;
"This file contains file info data which cannot be read and has been ignored".

If you ignore and edit anyway in Photoshop, upon trying to save your work you get the message;
"Could not save "_filename" because the file is locked, you do not have access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the 'Get info' command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder."

I then looked at the About Capture One dialog box and got a sick feeling...
it says;
Capture One 20 Pro
Build 13.0.1.19 (5f83bad)

bad? ok., "b-a-d" are all valid hex letters or, is this build just bad?!

can anybody else confirm they are getting these messages?

Capture One is unusable in this state with not being able to edit variants in PS or NiK etc.

-Geoff
contactzero

Re: Image > Edit with (Photoshop) not working

Postby contactzero » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Solved.

I've tested and it actually seems to be only a few corrupted files I've been working on recently. Older files are all ok. Newer imported files ok too.
I've only started using keywords recently and I hope that it is not related.

Anyway, Back ups work!

Lucky I back up often; Local, Raid, Time Machine and cloud service.

-Geoff
contactzero

Re: Image > Edit with (Photoshop) not working

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:07 pm

Geoff, is it safe to assume you are on a MAC?

I also could not work out whether you are using Catalogue or Sessions.

In terms of corrupt files I experienced something related to that sort of problem once back in V6 or V7 days using a session.

Working through a shoot of about 2500 images C1 started to crash about every 10 or so images. No obvious reason and somewhat random at first sight. Everything normal other than the crashes.

After a few days I happened to spot a "Badly rendered" thumbnail for one image towards the end of the set. Regenerating the thumbnail gave the same result arousing my suspicions about a possible source for my problems. After a bit more digging I decided to try deleting the .cos edit file for that image.

C1 saw the file with no .cos, created a new one (with no edits of course - the original has had some changes applied as part of a first pass random selection assessment) and all was well, The crashing stopped.

I think what had happened, for reasons I don't know, is that the internal index referencing for the file fragments (as stored on disk in blocks of data and rebuilt into a "single" file when required) related to either the .cos file or the original image or the thumbnail or the preview, had a bad and non-unique index reference that just happened to coincide with another fragment that was used regularly as a common component of something when processing. Thus the process was either finding 2 identical index references and not knowing what to do or a single but wrong reference that introduce data that was not expected by the process at that point. If you see what I mean. Basically an untrappable error.

It seemed to be a system level (i.e. Windows) problem. Once the edit file was regenerated all was well. I have never seen a repeat of the problem.

I hope this tale offers some confidence replacing your seemingly corrupt file(s) will deliver the same successful ending.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac