Crop on Exported Photos

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Crop on Exported Photos

Postby Dizzy82 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:10 pm

hello there,

I have a question regarding exported photos - many of exported photos (edited JPEGs), but not all, have some sort of crop applied - is this normal? Any way to remove this in settings? I am attaching a print screen of exported images as they are seen in Photo Mechanic ... you can see that the second photo still has crop which should not be there on exported photos. sometimes all photos has it, sometimes only one ... it is very random.

Last edited by Dizzy82 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dizzy82

Re: Crop on Exported Photos

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi Dizzy,

There is no image attached to your post. Anyway, a crop might be applied by Capture One when a lens distortion correction is needed/requested. Which type of camera/lens do you use ?
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby Dizzy82 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:09 pm

yes, I cannot add any image, have no idea why I cannot add it to the post ... I will try again in a few minutes.

as for your question - tried with different lenses (Tamron 35 1.8, Nikkor 50 1.8, Nikkor 70-200 and when I manage to post printscreen, the Nikkor 200-500) - sometimes this crop is visible sometimes not ... also tried with various Lens Correction settings, it doesn't make a difference ...
Dizzy82

Postby Dizzy82 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:11 pm

finally managed to add printscreen to the opening post.
Dizzy82

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:53 pm

Thanks for the screenshot. As far as I can see, the crop appears in an other application than Capture One. Which export do you use ? The "output" tool tab, or the "export" (originals or variants) command ?
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby Dizzy82 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:12 pm

yes, printscreen is of Photo Mechanic - I use it for culling, editing metadata (captions) and sending to various FTPs.

I used everything - the File > Export Images > Variants; or via Output and Process Recipes, same results ...
Dizzy82

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:34 pm

When I export (whatever the tool is) my cropped images to an other application, such as Photoshop, Affinity Photo, or even Apple's Preview or Photos, they are correctly cropped (as I ask it) and the crop frame doesn't appear in the views. So, maybe this is specific to Photo Mechanic rather than to Capture One. Did you try to export in other apps ?
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby Dizzy82 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:40 am

so, you gave me an idea to bypass the Photo Mechanic, thought that maybe it is the Photo Mechanic, who is causing the problems ... but I just realised, that all the photos contain crops. I guess when I crop the photos in C1, these crops are "carried" through the export process.

I opened images in LR, then did another export, opened photos in Finder, and opened them in Camera RAW - the same - all the photos were cropped (not just one as it is seen in my Photo Mechanic print screen image), further more, some settings were also persistent as they all had some WB, shadows and some other corrections applied ...
Dizzy82

Postby tenmangu81 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi Saeed,

When you use the "Output" tool tab, in the "Process Recipe", you can select (adjustment tab) if you want the output to respect or ignore the crop.
When you export originals (I mean File -> Export Images.... -> originals) you can select if you want to include the adjustments or not.
And when you export variants (File -> Export Images... -> variants), you can choose if you want (Recipe -> adjustment tab) to respect or ignore the crop.
Did you try these options ?
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:29 pm

Dizzy82 wrote:I guess when I crop the photos in C1, these crops are "carried" through the export process.

Yes, that is the whole idea of Capture One... It applies your adjustments.

As mentioned in another post, there is a setting to ignore crop on output.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Dizzy82 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 am

I think we are not on the same page here. Of course the whole idea of Capture One is applying adjustments. But - my problem is that exported photo, no matter how I export it, contains these adjustments. Which is unusual - usually you export jpeg and that's it. But my C1 exported photos contain additional crop settings.

As I stated in my opening post, exported photo contains the "crop" - if I edit photos in every other photo editing software, the exported jpeg image is adjustments free (or, in my case, crop free, it comes out as I cropped it, but does not carry the crop setting through the export). The problem I have with C1 is, that exported jpeg has cropped adjustment ...

I tried everything that was suggested here, but nothing helps. Some images simply still have crops on them. Like it is seen on the printscreen in the opening post.
Dizzy82

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm

So what you are saying is that some (all?) exported photos are not actually cropped but show a crop outline overlaid - like in the pasted illustration top row second image from the left?

If my understanding of the output process (or export?) for a variant is correct that is possible for a PSD file output but not a jpg.

I have never seen anything like that the output will either be the cropped version of the image of, if "Ignore Crop" is set, the full version but without any crop proposed information.

Did you crop that image in the way suggested before exporting?

Is this something you see only using Photo Mechanic on exported/output processed jpg images?

Grant
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 pm

Also there is an option when creating output as a PSD file to "crop to path". In the adjustments tab in the process recipe. Is that perhaps enabled?

Ian
Ian3

Postby Dizzy82 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 pm

SFA wrote:So what you are saying is that some (all?) exported photos are not actually cropped but show a crop outline overlaid - like in the pasted illustration top row second image from the left?

yup, just like that. now, Photo Mechanic is a great software, which shows if crop is applied to photo. but even if I do not "touch" the photo in Photo Mechanic, if I just go to Folder and open the photo in Photoshop or Lightroom, the photo is cropped. Furthermore - in Lightroom even more photos are cropped, even if the crop outline is not visible in Photo Mechanic.

SFA wrote:If my understanding of the output process (or export?) for a variant is correct that is possible for a PSD file output but not a jpg.

yes, I am talking only about jpg photos, I am not using PSD files at all.

SFA wrote:I have never seen anything like that the output will either be the cropped version of the image of, if "Ignore Crop" is set, the full version but without any crop proposed information.

it happens very randomly. sometimes only a few exported photos contain this crop adjustment (which is exactly the same as the crop in C1, if you understand, so if I crop a photo in C1 then the exported jpg has the exact same crop), sometimes none, sometimes the majority. If I choose "Ignore Crop", nothing happens, photo is exported uncropped.

Did you crop that image in the way suggested before exporting?

Is this something you see only using Photo Mechanic on exported/output processed jpg images?

Grant[/quote]
Dizzy82

Postby Dizzy82 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Ian3 wrote:Also there is an option when creating output as a PSD file to "crop to path". In the adjustments tab in the process recipe. Is that perhaps enabled?

Ian

as said - I do not use PSD format. only JPG files on export.
Dizzy82

Next

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac