Unable to process images

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Mac

Unable to process images

Postby NNN636812931733651849 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Hello,

I'm having issues processing images in C1 20 after my recent upgrade. I got one of two messages "unable to process file" or "unable to preload file". All images I attempt to process end up in the process history, despite never being processed. I have tried restarting my computer, restarting C1, deleting and rebuilding the process recipe, clearing the process queue and history, and nothing is working. Has anyone experienced this and/or found a solution? It's incredibly frustrating not to be able to process my own work for use. Thanks in advance!
NNN636812931733651849

Re: Unable to process images

Postby Ian3 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:20 pm

I don't know the answer, but I do remember that other users have mentioned the "unable to preload file" message before. Worth searching the forum to see if you can find out how they solved it?

Ian
Ian3

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Can you export, that is File > Export Images > Variants?

Have you set hardware acceleration to Never for processing?
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636812931733651849 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Can you export, that is File > Export Images > Variants?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. I cannot export- trying this actually causes the program to crash. However, I tried turning acceleration to "never" and it solved the issue. Can I ask why this is necessary/fixes the problem? I never had to do this in the past prior to upgrading to CO20. Thanks!
NNN636812931733651849

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:48 pm

NNN636812931733651849 wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Can you export, that is File > Export Images > Variants?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. I cannot export- trying this actually causes the program to crash. However, I tried turning acceleration to "never" and it solved the issue. Can I ask why this is necessary/fixes the problem? I never had to do this in the past prior to upgrading to CO20. Thanks!

From other posts here I noticed that more users have issues with processing or exporting with CO20. Several of them solved the issue by disabling hardware acceleration for processing.

Harware acceleration apparently works differently in CO20 compared to earlier versions. I think and expect that in upcoming maintenance updates this will be fixed and that you again can use this feature and enjoy its benefits.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Vaclav1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:18 pm

I had the same problem after upgrading to v20 – in midst of processing of ~300 files Capture One just wrote the remaining off with "Unable to preload file". While trying to work around the issue I sometimes got "Unable to process file".

Setting Open CL acceleration to Never for Processing did help (it's just awfully slow now).
Vaclav1

Postby meliaphoto » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:51 am

All of a sudden, despite previously having no issues, C1 20 stopped processing any files from any of my recipes whilst using a MacBook Air on Mojave. I've spent over four hours trying to solve the problem and made numerous attempts to fix the problem from deleting the old recipes, creating new ones, using different Raw files, new sessions, but not nothing worked until I've seen this thread, I switched off the Hardware Acceleration for processing and it suddenly worked, many thanks for the solution guys. The frustrating thing is that I have a 2012 MacBook Pro using the same OS, the same C1, with the same settings and it works fine, hence my frustration and annoyance. Obviously the hardware is different and therefore seems to be the problem.....with the newer machine!
meliaphoto

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:13 pm

meliaphoto wrote:All of a sudden, despite previously having no issues, C1 20 stopped processing any files from any of my recipes whilst using a MacBook Air on Mojave. I've spent over four hours trying to solve the problem and made numerous attempts to fix the problem from deleting the old recipes, creating new ones, using different Raw files, new sessions, but not nothing worked until I've seen this thread, I switched off the Hardware Acceleration for processing and it suddenly worked, many thanks for the solution guys. The frustrating thing is that I have a 2012 MacBook Pro using the same OS, the same C1, with the same settings and it works fine, hence my frustration and annoyance. Obviously the hardware is different and therefore seems to be the problem.....with the newer machine!

You should find some log files that report the start up process activities and for this problem, specifically the one that assesses what GPUs units are found in the system.

This may give a clue about what has happened and may therefore offer some guidance about what to try to get Hardware Acceleration active again without error.

Is there any chance that the discrete GPU (assuming you have one) driver has recently been updated?

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Mac