Significant Error with Cropped Exports

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Significant Error with Cropped Exports

Postby eartho » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:43 pm

I noticed this some time ago, but forgot to write up a bug report. Now today, i'm dealing with it again and it's a very big issue.
When cropping a 5Ds raw and applying both keystone and aspect correction the crop of my exports does not match what i see in C1. In fact, i'm often losing 5-10% of my vertical pixels!
As far as i'm concerned, this is a critical failure and renders my exports unusable. I'm a retoucher and every single pixel counts.
Here's a sample of what i'm talking about. Note that the distortion has been exaggerated for effect.

https://i.imgur.com/Ep5gT9q.jpg
eartho

Re: Significant Error with Cropped Exports

Postby SFA » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:59 pm

How is your recipe defined and are you using Recipe Proofing?
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:08 am

Does your recipe produce output of a specific size? If you had an image that started out as say 6000x4000 px (so a 3:2 aspect ratio) but an output recipe defined as for a 8 inch x 10 inch print, it would crop off some of the image in creating the output.

Ian
Ian3

Postby eartho » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:18 pm

Thank you for the replies, unfortunately, my only adjustment to the output is scaling to 50%.
As i mentioned above, this issue has been present for years now and is easily reproducible.
Apologies for not flagging it sooner.
eartho

Postby eartho » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:20 pm

And i could be wrong, but i think what's happening is that the crop calculation is being applied pre-aspect ratio.
eartho

Postby SFA » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:10 pm

eartho wrote:Thank you for the replies, unfortunately, my only adjustment to the output is scaling to 50%.
As i mentioned above, this issue has been present for years now and is easily reproducible.
Apologies for not flagging it sooner.

I have always though of scaling as being an upwards adjustment rather than downwards.

If one wants a smaller image at a certain ratio just set the ratio and the length of the sides and and take things from there.

However if the reduction would not result in a match for the size things could look interesting.

For what purpose are you using 50% scaling?

Are you cropping before applying Keystone Adjustments?

If so I would recommend either that you do cropping after KS work OR simply expect a re-adjustment of the crop to be necessary after KS adjustment.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby eartho » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:08 pm

SFA wrote:If one wants a smaller image at a certain ratio just set the ratio and the length of the sides and and take things from there.

However if the reduction would not result in a match for the size things could look interesting.

For what purpose are you using 50% scaling?

Are you cropping before applying Keystone Adjustments?

If so I would recommend either that you do cropping after KS work OR simply expect a re-adjustment of the crop to be necessary after KS adjustment.

Grant

Grant, when i say that C1 is applying the crop pre-ratio, i'm referring to the Aspect adjustment in the Keystone tab, not the scale in the Recipe tab.
If you look at the image link in my original post, you'll see that the cropped image view in C1 is totally different than what was exported. This is a significant error.

As for why i'm scaling to 50%, the images i'm processing were shot with a 50mpx camera, but their destination is the web and i only need the longest edge to be 50% of original. These are all being heavily retouched and the less pixels we have to work on, the faster the job gets done.
eartho

Postby SFA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 am

I picked an entirely random image and experimented since the effects of the controls in the Keystone tool can, by their nature, be tricky to assess as a pure thought process.

I can see how an adjustment applied post crop setting could produce the alternative crop that you show in your jpg comparison image as posted. However so far I always get the output result I see on screen before starting the output process (Unless I set the output recipe to "Ignore Crop" - but that would be expected do the opposite of what your results seem to provide.)

The only way I can see currently to have the exported image expand laterally within the same dimensions (and therefore contract vertically) would be to reduce the Aspect ratio adjustment. So in the examples provided if the Aspect ratio is reduced to 0 before running the output I can see results that reflect the differences you see. Likewise if I set the Aspect ratio adjustment to approximately double your value, define the crop and then reduce it to approximately your value I see the same result. So far it is the only approach I have found that seems to precisely produce the results in you examples but only applies to the on screen view. The output has always matched the on screen view.

If one of the crop edges is up against an image edge that might complicate matters in the way things present but that does not immediately appear to be a factor here.

Are you using variants to create your edited adjustments leaving the opportunity to step back to each previous state of the edit process? It would be interesting to try that step by step process if you are not already using it.

However, as things stand I have not found a way to obtain the same results as you report as part of the output process alone.

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of available data conflict between the 50% scaling on a longest edge and the available data in the shortest edge to provide a full square crop. However I would expect that anomaly to show up during the edit/crop process and it's not something you have mentioned, other than by processing using the "Ignore crop" setting in some circumstances.

I would recommend you follow up on the Support Case route with the Capture One Support Team.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software