Evaluating Lightroom Replacements

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Evaluating Lightroom Replacements

Postby NNN637063795392589704 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 am

Hello everyone,,
I won't do SaaS and Lightroom 6 Perpetual does not support my new camera, I am evaluating replacements. Looking at 6 programs and you'll likely not be surprised ีีีีufabet that Capture One comes closest. However, with that being said, even after reading and watching quite a bit (not all), there are 9 things I cannot find that I use in Lightroom. In no particluar order, though I could order in level of importance, they are:

1. HDR
2. Panorama Stitching
3. Simple Client Web Galleries
4. History to revert to specific steps
5. Book or print layouts
6. Change perspective (key-stoning, etc)
7. Annotate (typography)
8. Canon Camera Picture Styles
9. Collections

Whew. To your credit, it does support the other 13 requirements I have. And my even support these yet I could not find them.

Would someone be kind enough to help me understand what of the above is or is not or even is planned to be supported?

Thanks.
Last edited by NNN637063795392589704 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NNN637063795392589704

Re: Evaluating Lightroom Replacements

Postby Ian3 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 am

I can answer some of those.

1. HDR - there is an HDR tool in Capture One. But it only works on a single image, recovering highlights and shadows. It can't merge separate image with different exposures. If you wanted to do that you would have to go to Photoshop or Affinity Photo or something like that.

2. Panorama stitching - no. Again PS or Affinity.

3. Web galleries - there is an Export Web Contact Sheet feature found on the File menu, but I have never used it or the LR Client Web Galleries, so I don't know if it is the equivalent thing.

4. History steps - no. (A lot of people ask for it, but there is a division of opinion about its usefulness. It mostly doesn't mater what order you do things in. So to take a trivial example, it doesn't matter whether you adjust white balance before exposure, or the other way round. If you stepped back to where you adjusted whichever of them you had done first, would you want to lose the other one too?)

5. Book layouts, I don't think so. Print layouts - the dialog box on Print... offers a number of built in templates and you can create and save your own too. But not a feature I have used so I can't comment further.

6. Perspective (keystoning etc). Yes. There is a tool for that and you can either line up guides on verticals or horizontals (or both) or use sliders, and I find that it works well and is easy to use. But it won't do it automatically, except for Phase One cameras.

7. Annotate - you can't add text to a photo. But you can add watermarks, and add annotations as a layer for example to give instructions to a retoucher "lighten the forehead here" and the like.

8. Canon camera picture styles - no.

9. Collections. I think that this is a matter of different nomenclature. Capture One has albums, smart albums (equivalent to collections and smart collections, perhaps?) plus projects and groups. There's a good explanation in the webinar here. https://youtu.be/nDJR4Zcd1Lw Watch the whole thing or start with the link (in the description below) at 22:30.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Irvin.Gomez » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:27 pm

It seems you do need Lightroom, after all. There’s no free lunch anywhere. And you’ll find out that if you want the latest and greatest of anything, you are in a de-facto subscription.

Rejecting the Adobe subscription and looking for cheaper or better alternatives is often a fool’s errand. Use Capture One because it’s great, not because of price.

NNN637063795392589704 wrote:Hello everyone,,
I won't do SaaS and Lightroom 6 Perpetual does not support my new camera, I am evaluating replacements. Looking at 6 programs and you'll likely not be surprised ีีีีufabet that Capture One comes closest. However, with that being said, even after reading and watching quite a bit (not all), there are 9 things I cannot find that I use in Lightroom. In no particluar order, though I could order in level of importance, they are:

1. HDR
2. Panorama Stitching
3. Simple Client Web Galleries
4. History to revert to specific steps
5. Book or print layouts
6. Change perspective (key-stoning, etc)
7. Annotate (typography)
8. Canon Camera Picture Styles
9. Collections

Whew. To your credit, it does support the other 13 requirements I have. And my even support these yet I could not find them.

Would someone be kind enough to help me understand what of the above is or is not or even is planned to be supported?

Thanks.
Irvin.Gomez

Postby Ian3 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Why have you edited your original post to add in a spurious link?

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows