Previews of all photos take too long

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Re: Previews of all photos take too long

Postby SFA » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:25 am

DBVirago2 wrote:Dell

I have a 6 year old Precision M4700.

At this level Dell seem to make a very capable product that is also extremely strong.

The only thing I have had to replace so far is the charger and that was because I allowed it to slip off my lap for the umpteenth time and it caught the charger connector plug in such a way that it broke the plug. Unlikely to be very reliable if repaired so I changed the charger as the cable is integral.

I have 24Gb RAM, an extra 1Tb SSD as the data drive running in a Sata 2 speed comms card slot (it still seems fast enough). The disk are quite full and I am usually running several other applications. The ancient Nvidia Quadro GPU does not have a significant effect but is used for some things.

I'm guessing if they are delivering with Win 10 Home it's not a Precision although the screen may well be the same as offered on the Precision. Mine is the smaller 1920x1080 Ultrasharp screen of those times.It's fine. It would be interesting to see what the 100% colour gamut of the 4k screen offers but apart from that the 4 k screen seems a little pointless (to me) at 15" size.

Chosen carefully the latest models of Precision at the equivalent level seem to offer the option to install multiple SSDs but the battery size can make a difference in the amount of internal space available and the types of drives that can be installed. Also 4 memory slots, user upgradable.

As you have probably worked out by now I have been extremely impressed by mine other than the 2 keys on the keyboard where the key top identifying decals have rubbed through. But I guess that's the way I rest my left hand rather than anything else!

If it's within reach of your budget I would check out the Business section. Or maybe the business section of the Outlet operation?

There is, of course, no certainty that my experience is typical not that, 6 years on and in different times, the products are on a par. But I think in general they are a fairly safe bet once you feel comfortable with any web forum comments and reviews you might feel a need to read.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Tom-D » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:51 am

Well sure - to a point. If the software is querying or managing memory poorly you can throw new faster hardware at the problem and it will help but in the end the software is still not living up to its potential. I think we should be helping C1 find the kinks and work them out.

That way future versions will just scream on your super fast rig. :)

I work on that all the time. 12.0.2 is such a performance version.
12.0.1 needed 400 GB Ram to copy styles to 700 pictures.
At 12.0.2 there were only 50% of it left.

You can speed up HDDs with SSDs with an Auto Tier software.
The software takes over the management and moves the files to the SSDs that are often used or are up to date.
I've got a software like this in testing in our photo studio right now.

Most HDDs in labtops are 5400 rpm hard drives, these are very slow.

If HDD then I only use Enterprise stuff.

*I think we should be helping C1 find the kinks and work them out. * <--- yea, seems like we have a Multicore Overhead, a 32 Core CPU is slower than a 5 ghz 8 Core Cpu. But that was 12.0.1, i don't know how i looks like now i don't have that 32 Core.
Tom-D

Postby NNN636892422939686172 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:13 pm

How do 6 core chips stack up against 8 core chips? Just curious as I'm building a new PC soon.
NNN636892422939686172

Postby Robby-D » Thu May 02, 2019 6:21 pm

Might be a duplicate suggestion because some of the posts above were too long for me to read completely. I have an SSD for primary use but archive to regular HDD and performance is reasonable - slower yes, 40 minutes slow no. I never use Catalogues, only Sessions, so this may or may not be helpful to you (apologies if the latter)

Try:
- making your preview image smaller (Edit - Preferences - Image)
- delete the preview images from the folder structure (Sessions only?), OR, right-click "regenerate previews"
(In Sessions, previews are in /CaptureOne/Cache/Proxies/*.cop. I think that Catalogues store previews in the database, which might need repairing - see your File menu for that command)

Your performance sounds abnormal and as others have suggested you could also create a support ticket.

best of luck!
Robby-D

Postby DBVirago2 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks. Your reply reminds me of this post. Since posting, I have bought a new laptop with i8 6 core processor and a 1Tb SSD along with 32Gb RAM. Since then, no software, including Capture One or Lightroom has been slow doing anything. I'm sure as I get used to it, that waiting 7 seconds will seem long, but right now, I'm loving it.
DBVirago2

Postby SJPRG » Fri May 24, 2019 9:08 pm

For those with slow computers try "PrimoCache". The more memory you have the better it works. I have 32Gb but 64 or 128 works better. I'm getting 10,000+ read/write from my NVMe's YMMV. Computer is an Asus Z170-WS@4.0Ghz. system is on C drive Samsung 970Pro NVMe, Images are on 2 each two TB NVMe's mounted in a Startec NVMe to plugin card.
SJPRG

Postby SFA » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 pm

NN637018153505220776UL wrote:It's not slow because I don't have an SSD. It's slow because it is doing a ridiculous amount of unnecessary work every time I click on the folder. The SSD just allows the ridiculous amount of work to be done faster. I waited 20 hours for previews to be built that aren't being used. I'm through waiting on Capture One so I can do my work.

Do you have any evidence you can share - especially about your configuration and what you are expecting to happen.

Without any background to what you are working with in hardware terms or even what you have done so far with C1 all you offer is a rant of some kind.

Glad you got that off your chest but it doesn't move things on offer no useful information to anyone, least of all you since no one could begin to offer any specific guidance.

I would guess that your apparent experience is untypical but that is only a guess due to lack of useful information.
SFA

Postby JuanS » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:43 am

We all know his experience isn't untypical. Try not to get on him because he's expressing his frustration. I'm a long time user and I have the same frustrations. These performance issues have been happening for a long time now. If you look at the longest threads in this forum, they are all performance related. The mac version doesn't suffer these problems. And contacting support doesn't really help the issue. My machine has higher specs than most and I still have to sit and wait 30 min for my catalog to load. It's something i try and do in the mornings so that I can work through the day. Yes I have a lot of images in my catalog. I have multiple catalogs and it still takes forever. Bottom line is we are professionals. We have a lot of images. No other software has these issues. Phase one should fix it. They don't even have these issues with their other platform. And I know others(devs) try to blame it on the PC version being written on .net. Don't even get me started with that. When I start Capture one, it accesses the directories with my RAW images. If the previews are already generated, why does it have to check every RAW image?
JuanS

Postby SFA » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:59 am

NNN636568338569090854 wrote: Try not to get on him because he's expressing his frustration.

Possibly so but it seems odd that the original post of Aug 19th at 11:44am seems to have been edited on 20th August and a link added in the middle of the text.

People may need to stop and think before ranting (for whatever ultimate purpose) and consider that whilst they may feel they have a big problem and may well be right to feel frustration, most people do not. That suggests the problem is not all pervasive and so pointing an accusing finger in one direction is probably not appropriate. Or was not really the purpose of the post in the first place.
SFA

Postby Wesley » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:55 am

SFA wrote:
NNN636568338569090854 wrote: Try not to get on him because he's expressing his frustration.

Possibly so but it seems odd that the original post of Aug 19th at 11:44am seems to have been edited on 20th August and a link added in the middle of the text.

People may need to stop and think before ranting (for whatever ultimate purpose) and consider that whilst they may feel they have a big problem and may well be right to feel frustration, most people do not. That suggests the problem is not all pervasive and so pointing an accusing finger in one direction is probably not appropriate. Or was not really the purpose of the post in the first place.

It's just some bot that copy and pasted a portion of an earlier post: viewtopic.php?p=153776#p153776

:lol:
Wesley

Postby JuanS » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:07 pm

SFA wrote:

He's expressing a frustration that quite a few posters in this forum have shared including myself. What is the purpose for getting on him for expressing that frustration. Maybe him and others feel that the only way for these issues to be worked on is for phase one to see these frustrations. If others don't have these issue and frustrations then great for them. Then they're happy and can continue. But I don't see how someone who doesn't have these frustrations should get on someone who does. Many of the people who have these frustrations love the product but have pain points. It seems correcting these pain points would create a better product even for those who don't share the same creative workflow as yourself.
JuanS

Postby C-M-B » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:47 pm

NN637018153505220776UL wrote:It's not slow because I don't have an SSD. It's slow because it is doing a ridiculous amount of unnecessary work every time I click on the folder. The SSD just allows the ridiculous amount of work to be done faster tellsubway. I waited 20 hours for previews to be built that aren't being used. I'm through waiting on Capture One so I can do my work.

Absolutely correct.

Capture One takes an obscene amount of read activity to load a regular session or catalog and even on a fast drive it takes way longer than similar programs.

Using stuff like "PrimoCache" is just a way to work around bad programming and does not mean the computer is slow by any means.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:11 pm

C-M-B wrote:
NN637018153505220776UL wrote:It's not slow because I don't have an SSD. It's slow because it is doing a ridiculous amount of unnecessary work every time I click on the folder. The SSD just allows the ridiculous amount of work to be done faster tellsubway. I waited 20 hours for previews to be built that aren't being used. I'm through waiting on Capture One so I can do my work.

Absolutely correct.

Capture One takes an obscene amount of read activity to load a regular session or catalog and even on a fast drive it takes way longer than similar programs.

Using stuff like "PrimoCache" is just a way to work around bad programming and does not mean the computer is slow by any means.

Or maybe something from the strange link that was added the day after the post was made?
SFA

Postby C-M-B » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 pm

The strange link does not matter (not sure what you're talking about).

What matters is that the people at Capture One get their act together and fix this. This has been going on forever and it's quite embarassing when you compare the performance on a Mac and the performance on a Windows computer.
I'm not sure whether this is because the programmers are inept or whether PhaseOne has a special contract with Apple, preventing them from developing the Capture Pilot App for Android and preventing them from improving the load performance on a NAS on a Windows computer...but either way, it sucks.
C-M-B

Postby SFA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:33 pm

C-M-B wrote:The strange link does not matter (not sure what you're talking about).

Probably not now the original posts have been removed.
SFA

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows