Catalog folders are not synchronizing

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Catalog folders are not synchronizing

Postby NNN636833513082104178 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:25 am

I'm brand new to Capture One. I've imported my pictures into a catalog and am browsing those pictures using the folder hierarchy view of "In Catalog".

As an experiment, I deleted a picture subfolder in Windows Explorer to see what would happen in Capture One. The catalog view of that folder immediately spawned a "!" icon with an "offline" label shown when viewing thumbnails of the previously deleted photos.

At this point, Capture One Help tells me to do the following:

When changes have been made to a referenced folder outside of the Catalog, for example, when adding images using another application, the Catalog can be updated using the Synchronize Folder option. As the Import dialog is used in-part, new images can be renamed, backed up and adjustments applied automatically. Deleted or missing images may also be removed from the Catalog during this process.

From the Library Tool Tab, select the Folder that requires updating.
Go to the main menu and select Synchronize Folder…
Check mark the relevant boxes in the Synchronize prompt and press the Sync button. A new Import window opens.
Select the images as required to add to the Folder, and check-mark the options for renaming, backing up and adding styles, as appropriate.

Whenever I attempt this, the synchronize menu for any of the "!" deleted folders in catalog always says the following:

Synchronize "deleted folder" with changes made on disk.
Include known subfolders (checked)
Import 0 new images (checked)
Remove 0 missing images from catalog (checked)

The last line always reports ZERO missing images, and thus, makes no changes. Remember, this is attempting to synchronize a folder that has been deleted!

Trying the same steps above for parent folders above the deleted folder yields the same results. This includes attempting to synchronize my entire Picture folder.

From what I can see, the synchronize folder function doesn't seem to pick up any changes I make on the disk.

What am I missing?
NNN636833513082104178

Re: Catalog folders are not synchronizing

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:26 am

From your story, I derive that you have imported the images into the Catalog folder. As a result, you find your images in the "In Catalog" item in the Folders section of the Library.
This way of managing images is also referred to as Full Managed (by Capture One). If you move your catalog, your images move along.

The Sync procedure is not for fully managed images but for referenced images, that is images that are located outside the Catalog folder. You can import images as referenced by selecting Current Location in the Import To section in the Import Images dialog, assuming the images are already on your disk (external or internal).
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ian3 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 am

Capture One can't really synchronise a folder that isn't there! If you have in fact deleted the folder on disk, and want it removed from the catalog too, you can just select it in the Folders section of the Library tool and then hit the minus button in that section to remove it from the catalog.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636833513082104178 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. To answer the first question, this is actually a referenced catalog only. I made sure that was the case when creating a catalog for the first time, as I wanted to emulate how things worked in Lightroom previously. I can confirm this by checking the file location for any referenced image in the library and see that it points to a file in my Pictures folder, where they've always been located.

If Capture One really only syncs folder contents, but not folder structural changes (deletes, moves, adds), that would be a HUGE issue! That would mean I would have to make changes twice every time (once in Windows, once in Capture One). There's no way that can be the case!
NNN636833513082104178

Postby IanS » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:30 pm

NNN636833513082104178 wrote:Thanks for the responses so far. To answer the first question, this is actually a referenced catalog only. I made sure that was the case when creating a catalog for the first time, as I wanted to emulate how things worked in Lightroom previously. I can confirm this by checking the file location for any referenced image in the library and see that it points to a file in my Pictures folder, where they've always been located.

If Capture One really only syncs folder contents, but not folder structural changes (deletes, moves, adds), that would be a HUGE issue! That would mean I would have to make changes twice every time (once in Windows, once in Capture One). There's no way that can be the case!

I used LR from V1 but stopped when CC came out. As far as I remember changes outside of LR were not reflected within LR either.

This short video will explain how to make file changes within C1Pro as well as other info you might find helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJR4Zcd1Lw

Also with C1Pro you have the option to work on files directly without importing into a catalogue by using Sessions. You just create a session, dump the files you want to work on from your memory card into the session and off you go. After you have finished with the session processing it is then possible to import the session into an archive catalogue which imports all of your adjustments, key words etc. I mention this as this way of working is simply not possible in LR and new users to C1Pro are often unaware of the possibilities C1Pro offers.

Ian
IanS

Postby Ian3 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:41 pm

NNN636833513082104178 wrote:Thanks for the responses so far. To answer the first question, this is actually a referenced catalog only. I made sure that was the case when creating a catalog for the first time, as I wanted to emulate how things worked in Lightroom previously. I can confirm this by checking the file location for any referenced image in the library and see that it points to a file in my Pictures folder, where they've always been located.

You don’t need to do it twice! Do it in Capture One and it will happen in Windows. But not necessarily vice versa.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NNN636833513082104178 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Ian, if I attempt to perform operations like delete folder just from within Capture One on my referenced catalog, the software tells me I am only making changes to my catalog, NOT the directory structure. It gives no options for also making those changes to the directory itself. This is opposite of Lightroom; controlling from within the software would also have an option for making those changes to the directory itself.
NNN636833513082104178

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows