Curves Tool - win8.1

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Curves Tool - win8.1

Postby michael.l » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:30 am

Hello,

I've submitted a case ticket for this, but am hoping that someone here has a suggestion as it's the weekend and I doubt that the ticket will be reviewed in the next few days...

The RGB tab of the Curve tool displays 4 curves (average + one for each of RGB). V11 only displayed a single curve in this tab and the CO video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWcUyTjbjs (~1:58 as an example) displays the expected single curve. I am currently on v12.0.1, but reverted to v12.0.x and the behavior exists there, too.

Is there an option that I can toggle or something to get the single curve behavior? Having all four in this tab is a visual hot mess.

Thanks!

-michael
michael.l

Re: Curves Tool - win8.1

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 am

Not normal behaviour, I think. I am on Mac not Windows, but I only see the one curve, as shown in the video. I know of no toggle to change the behaviour. Some kind of bug probably, for which you may need Support's help.

Ian
Ian3

Postby David532 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:14 pm

If you want the single curve select Luma rather than RGB.

Dave
David532

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Well, I see just the one (grey) curve on both Luma and RGB! And that is how it is shown in the screenshot in the Help system. https://help.phaseone.com/en/CO12/Editing-photos/Exposure-and-Contrast/Curves.aspx

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:42 pm

michael.l wrote: V11 only displayed a single curve in this tab ...

My V11 running on Windows 7 shows 4 curves when RGB is selected.

Grant
SFA

Postby michael.l » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks a bunch for the feedback! I was hoping this wasn't a bug and will post back after this is resolved by the support folks.

-michael
michael.l

Postby David532 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 pm

Ian3 wrote:Well, I see just the one (grey) curve on both Luma and RGB! And that is how it is shown in the screenshot in the Help system. https://help.phaseone.com/en/CO12/Editing-photos/Exposure-and-Contrast/Curves.aspx

Ian

Looks like a difference between Windows and Mac. Definitely on Window RGB shows all 4 curves rather than an average of R,G and B. Is the average shown in Mac implimentation same as Luma? As I remember it Luma is part of Lab description of colour while RGB goes with Brightness or is it the other way round?
However having all the curves displayed on the RGB tab is consistent with the Levels tool.
We definitely need an input from an expert from Phase here.

Dave

Futher to the above I have investigated more and realise that everything behaves as described in the help, you can adjust either combined RGB curve or Luma curve but not both, the only difference to previous implimentation is you see Red, Green, Blue and a brightness histogram in the RGB tab window.
David532

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm

I can adjust both the RGB and the Luma curve on the same image (if I choose to - I haven't worked out when I might want to though).

And the screenshot of the RGB curve in the help screen I linked to only shows the one grey curve, doesn't it?

Ian
Ian3

Postby David532 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Ian3 wrote:I can adjust both the RGB and the Luma curve on the same image (if I choose to - I haven't worked out when I might want to though).

And the screenshot of the RGB curve in the help screen I linked to only shows the one grey curve, doesn't it?

Ian

Agreed on both counts (I was wrong about not been able to adjust both RGB and Luma though its an either or in the preset curve selection drop down). However that does not change the fact that the Windows version shows four histograms under the RGB tab while the Mac version shows only a single brightness histogram. This is another of the variations between the two versions of Capture One.

Dave
David532

Postby Ian3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm

It's a curious thing to be different between the versions!

Ian
Ian3

Postby David532 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Ian3 wrote:It's a curious thing to be different between the versions!

Ian

Agreed!!

Dave
David532

Postby michael.l » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:32 pm

I'd like to again thank everyone for their feedback - I greatly appreciate it!

Below is the response I received from Phase One (italics mine):

I cannot explain why these are not aligned between Windows and Mac, but for now, thats the way it is. However, I am going to file a request on your behalf for this tools to be aligned properly between Windows and Mac. This will be sent to our developers for further review.

You could always use the Luma Curve, which reflects the way you want. However it works slightly different in that you are changing contrast and brightness without affecting the overall saturation.

Being a new poster to these forums, I'm only going to say that this was disheartening.

-michael
michael.l

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 pm

michael.l wrote:I'd like to again thank everyone for their feedback - I greatly appreciate it!

Being a new poster to these forums, I'm only going to say that this was disheartening.

-michael

Can I ask in what way you found it disheartening?

Do you see the current Windows presentation as a problem?

Grant
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 pm

As a Mac user, I don't see the 4 curves that Windows users apparently see. But it seems to me that if they are a problem, and you want to use the RGB curve, then until they fix this you can work by reference to the grey curve and disregard the colour ones. It may be as the OP says a visual mess, but it is not unworkable.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 am

I may be missing something here but the Curve tool offer Red, Green, Blue and Luma specific tabs with the RGB tab being a composite of those 4. The RGB without the Red, Green and Blue is the Luma curve is it not?

Puzzled.
SFA

Next

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows