Disappointed in Tech Support

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Disappointed in Tech Support

Postby NNN636442823308421079 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:13 pm

I often see threads in this forum where people are told to create a case with PhaseOne Tech Support.

In December 2017 (shortly after C1 v11 was released) - and based on a suggestion from this forum - I created a case as follows:

Posting on Phase One Forum by Christian Gruner stated

"You are welcome to send us an image (a rawfile) through Support, if you have supported lenses, that are different mounts. Then we can add the detection (with some exceptions)."

I have attached RAW (NEF) files for 2 Sigma lenses which C1 has autodetect for Canon mounts but not Nikon F mount.

Sigma 24-105 F4 DG OS HSM Art
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro

Hopefully these will allow the autodetect function to be added for the above lenses.

UNQUOTE

I received the following response (and the case was closed)

Hello Brian, Thank you. We will add the request to R&D's list along with the raw files.

Best Regards,

Phase One Support

UNQUOTE

Nothing was ever done in C1 v11 - which I could understand - but I hoped these changes would have been incorporated in v12. They weren't. This was a pretty simple request and would have made a lot of difference to my workflow. The lenses I provided info for are fairly common lenses and I'm sure other users would have benefitted. If this is how tech support treats their cases then I am reluctant to waste my time submitting anything else in an attempt to help improve the product.
NNN636442823308421079

Re: Disappointed in Tech Support

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 am

This has nothing to do with how tech support work. They log your request.

It is up to other departments that based on other request decided to fulfill your request.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby mli20 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 am

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:This has nothing to do with how tech support work. They log your request.

It is up to other departments that based on other request decided to fulfill your request.

To me it is obvious that there are two different ways of thinking about tech support:

1. The user's view: "Tech Support" is a black box. A user provides input, expects a certain output. The inner workings of the black box is of no import to him, hence the term "black box".

2. The organisational view: This is all about the inner workings of what to the user is a black box. It is relevant to the organisation, but not to the user.

Very often the response users seeking tech support receive is "case closed". Unfortunately the message takes on very disparate meanings whether you adopt the user's view or the organisational view:

1. User's view: No further action on our (Phase One's) part.

2. Org. view: No further action from our tech support department. The case may have been handed over to another department (R&D).

I think it is unreasonable to expect the user to adopt the org. view. Knowing nothing about the organisational structure of Phase he has a legitimate right to adopt the user's view.

Unfortunately it is apparent that Phase One is only thinking in terms of the org. view, even when indicating that the user's view is adopted, speaking as they are about "our technical support team" without further details.

MLI
mli20

Postby Christian Gruner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:27 am

The requests are filed as Feature Requests, and will be dealt with accordingly. As per company policy, we cannot provide you with an eta.

The “Case closed” statement is seen from a Support Team angle. When filed as a feature request, they can’t do anymore for the user.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Tom-D » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm disappointed too, I know that better from Phase One.

My case was last edited from Supporter on 09-01-2019,

Since then I didn't get any feedback. I updated 5 times and started a new one to make it easier.

Case: 314318 & 316616
Win 10 x64, Intel 7820X, 64 GB Ram 2666mhz, Quadro RTX 5000, 512 GB nvme Samsung, 1000GB Nvme Images, 4x HDDs.
Tom-D

Postby Keith Reeder » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:54 am

Christian Gruner wrote:The requests are filed as Feature Requests

Exactly - this is clearly a feature request, not a bug-fix, so it goes in the pot with all the other feature requests, to be prioritised and dealt with accordingly.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows