Cannot add keywords.

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Cannot add keywords.

Postby NNN636358350627737267 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 am

After importing an LR catalog into C1, some images have lost their keywords, what's worse is that they won't accept new ones. The error message is: ”The action can not be applied to any of the selected items.”

There are a few things these images have in common:

They are 35mm film scanns, scanned through SilverFast (with a Reflecta RPS 10M), they are monochrome and the dimensions are ~ 3400 x 2300px. (It seems like color images aren't affected.)

Any ideas on how this could be resolved?

I'm running a 30 day download so I assume I have no access to support, but this has to be fixed before I fork out the money.

All ideas are appreciated!

Sorry for the broken English, I'm Swedish. :-)
NNN636358350627737267

Re: Cannot add keywords.

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:30 pm

It doesn't matter that you are running a trial - you can still contact support via a Support Case.

There is a Link in the Help Menu - probably the easiest way to remember how to contact them since it is likely available to you without having to remember where it is!

If you scans are identified as Monochrome rather than colour C1 will not work with them. It expects to be working with something that identifies as a colour image type.

If that is the case, try converting one to "colour" file type and then, based on the size you mention, all should be well.

I am assuming that these are jpg or tiff files and that they are flagged in the preferences as allowable file types for editing. (Based on the comment that colour versions of the scanned files work.)

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636358350627737267 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Great, thanks for your help!

When I change the mode to RGB it works, but not straight away (I have to save as a new image and import it).

C1 doesn't seem to get that the color mode has changed, any ideas how that can be done for larger number of images?

Thanks again!
NNN636358350627737267

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 pm

It's not something I have ever done but there may be others who can provide suggestion based on their experiences.

From C1 perspective and using a catalogue approach, I think the import process is the only option although you would not have to re-import your existing LR catalogues one assumes - just the new versions of the images (as C1 would see them).

As for changing a mass of files to RGB - I don't know. Certainly not a Capture One thing. Is there an LR or Windows utility that could batch that process?

There is likely a thread somewhere in the forum that discusses such a need. Finding it may require some experimentation with search words in the forum search facility. But hopefully someone with relevant experience will be along soon and save that effort.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636358350627737267 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:25 pm

I can fix some kind automated process in PS, but I cant find a way to update C1 with the RGB mode setting. Thought there would a "button" somewhere for this, but I agree, it looks like a new import of the affected images is the way to go.

Thanks for spending time on my problem!
NNN636358350627737267

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:36 pm

NNN636358350627737267 wrote:I can fix some kind automated process in PS, but I cant find a way to update C1 with the RGB mode setting. Thought there would a "button" somewhere for this, but I agree, it looks like a new import of the affected images is the way to go.

Thanks for spending time on my problem!

If it was a sidecar file value it could be updated but in principle C1 does not allow alterations of source files (Originals whatever they may be) and in that respect probably does not expect them to be altered and considered to be the same file - if you see what I mean. Hence it may not expect there to be a need for an update since the file would be "new" to the catalogue.

Eliminate the old version reference and import afresh is likely the most reliable thing to do, avoiding confusion and suffixed file naming.

I may be wrong about the update but finding out if there is another way may take more time than re-importing.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:59 pm

I am mostly on what Grant says. To summarise, I suggest.
1. look for an automated batch process to convert the monochrome images to RGB mode; give them an -RGB suffix is possible and give them a unique keyword to retrieve them in CO later
2. import the new images; if their file location regarding their monochrome non-RGB files is important, put the new files in their respective folders and synchronise these folders in CO.
3. in CO, delete the monochrome images; selecting or filtering them could be done with the keywords filter
4. after these are removed, search for all images with the -RGB extension or the keyword you added in 1.
5. batch rename the images, removing the -RGB extension
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636358350627737267 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:34 am

Thank you all for your help, I've now added all the keywords I could add.

My question now is...Why am I not allowed to add keywords to small images or greyscale ditto? (There might be other restrictions that I don't know of yet.)

I can grasp why C1 has some restrictions on what type/size of images it can process, but I still want to be able to find all my images.

This is obviously not technically impossible, LR can pull it off, so why?

Is the only solution to keep LR if I want to be able to easily find all my images?
NNN636358350627737267

Postby syncrasy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:05 pm

NNN636358350627737267 wrote:Thank you all for your help, I've now added all the keywords I could add.

My question now is...Why am I not allowed to add keywords to small images or greyscale ditto? (There might be other restrictions that I don't know of yet.)

I can grasp why C1 has some restrictions on what type/size of images it can process, but I still want to be able to find all my images.

This is obviously not technically impossible, LR can pull it off, so why?

Speaking as a Media Pro user, I presume the answer is because C1's catalog is not a proper DAM in the literal sense of the term ("Digital Asset Manager"). It was added as an afterthought, and then only to work with images the raw editor could recognize. C1 is a raw editor first, catalog second (or last). The intended audience is commercial digital photographers, not b&w film photographers or archivists.

NNN636358350627737267 wrote:Is the only solution to keep LR if I want to be able to easily find all my images?

Quite possibly. The lack of support for small files and grayscale images is one reason why I can't migrate from Media Pro to C1.
syncrasy

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:09 pm

See the release notes regarding limitations in image size:

File size limitations:
• Smallest supported file for viewing: minimum side of 16px
• Smallest supported file for editing: minimum side of 512px.
• Largest supported file: Width x Height must be smaller than 40000 x 20000 pixels
or sum thereof.

About the why, I do not have an answer.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636358350627737267 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 pm

I don't see the connection, that's what puzzles me, unless this limitation is built in to stop images that C1 can't work with, but then you shouldn't be able to add them to the database in the first place.

There is no connection between greyscale or small images and a database's ability to add keywords, that's a design decision.

This is probably a deal breaker for me, I have no problem with C1 not being able to edit all file types, but I need a tool to find my files, and running LR just for this job seems like overkill.
NNN636358350627737267

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 pm

NNN636358350627737267 wrote:I don't see the connection, that's what puzzles me, unless this limitation is built in to stop images that C1 can't work with, but then you shouldn't be able to add them to the database in the first place.

There is no connection between greyscale or small images and a database's ability to add keywords, that's a design decision.

This is probably a deal breaker for me, I have no problem with C1 not being able to edit all file types, but I need a tool to find my files, and running LR just for this job seems like overkill.

I understand you point, which makes sense to me, and suggest you forward this to support. Either they have a solution or log this as a request.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows