Transitioning From Catalog to Session

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Transitioning From Catalog to Session

Postby MSK » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Most of my problem is my own fault because I hadn't really established my workflow before I started editing images, and I didn't realize that sessions didn't require an actual import/copy.

Here's how I do things now ... I do all my file management and folder structuring outside of C1. Then, using C1, I create a new session for the folder I want to work on and use the "set as capture folder" option to link the session to the images. This approach fits my needs perfectly.

The problem ... Before I realized that this was the way I wanted to work, I created several catalogs (with referenced image files) and did a good bit of editing on many of the images. Now I would like to get those images (along with their adjustments) into sessions as well. When I try to do that, I can link the new sessions to the original images as well as any that I created (by round trips to external applications, for example), but I don't know how to carry over my adjustments from the catalog to the session. I know there is an "include adjustments" option on export, but I'm not really exporting since I'm going from a referenced catalog to a session that does not require file movement.

Does anyone know how to do this?
MSK

Re: Transitioning From Catalog to Session

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:55 pm

One way would be File>Export Images>Originals... In the export dialog box, choose to include adjustments, and select the folder of your choice.

Ian
Ian3

Postby MSK » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks, Ian. But I'm sure how that would work, since the session capture folder already contains all the images (just not the adjustments). I don't really want to move/copy/export any image files (since I already have them where they need to be), I just want to establish some type of relationship between those files (which are referenced by the catalog and exist in the session capture folder) and the adjustments that were made while in the original catalog.
MSK

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:24 pm

You could temporarily move them. So set up a transitional folder (Folder X) and using the Capture One library tool move the the images to there from their original location (Folder Y). Capture One will physically move them. Then from the new location (Folder Y) do what I suggested and Export them (with adjustments) setting Folder Y as the destination. YOu'd end up with two copies of the image files, but once you are satisfied that you have them all as required, you could delete the ones that have ended up in Folder X. (This probably takes longer to describe than to do.)

If in doubt, try it with one image first to check how the process works.

Ian
Ian3

Postby MSK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks, that worked well.
MSK

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows