Samyang/Rokinon lens profiles

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Samyang/Rokinon lens profiles

Postby NN635790973675498599UL » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:20 pm

I'm using a Rokinon (Samyang) 14mm 2.8 - a popular lens, but not supported in C1, so no automatic corrections are applied.

A quick forum search has me concluding that although people have asked for Samyang support for years, it's never happened and it doesn't seem likely it ever will. Is that the consensus?
NN635790973675498599UL

Re: Samyang/Rokinon lens profiles

Postby SFA » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:43 am

The fully manual version or the later model?

Are you using it on full frame or a crop factor body?

The original lens (which i own) has some quite noticeable "moustache" distortion in certain situations. However that is in the nature of the lens and I suspect, especially in the early production runs (from what I recall of the various reviews I read at the time), that the individual units were not exactly showing the sort of consistency required for precision correction optically although that did not necessarily detract from the results that can be achieved with the lens so long as one accepts it for what it is.

On full frame the effects would be more apparent than on a crop body where only the centree area of the lens is in play and, of course, it's not delivering a 14mm perspective.

The big challenge with the original manual units was a complete lack of any information coming from the lens about the settings in use. Absent that sort of information its rather difficult to offfer any precision adjustments.

The AF version introduced more recently does seem to have some improved optics in terms of the distortion and other than some edge and corner issues which are probably not within the scope of precision fixing consistently, seems t have few aspects that would benefit from correction.

On the short review video I have watched there seems to be some evidence that there are contacts from lens to body that may offer settings data so there may indeed be some potential that you see (if you have this latest version) for obtaining settings data from the lens.

Whether enough people using C1 would also be using this lens and thus justify prioritising it for profiling in the Phase labs ahead of lenses from other manufacturers or other more commonly used lens sizes from the Samyang family of branded lenses is difficult to guess.

The more people who identify themselves to Phase though the Support Case system as users of the lens the better the possibility that they would consider it.

When I say that I am assuming that typical examples of the lens perform consistently in laboratory test conditions. And that our expectations as users of such a lens are tempered with at least some realism about what the expected benefits might be.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635790973675498599UL » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 pm

Manual, FF. I agree that the value of corrections is unknown. But I'd like to see Samyang supported in general.
NN635790973675498599UL

Postby SFA » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:33 am

NN635790973675498599UL wrote:Manual, FF. I agree that the value of corrections is unknown. But I'd like to see Samyang supported in general.

I suspect that the big problem with the manual version is that there is no way to know the aperture setting (or any other settings but the aperture may be the most significant) unless one makes a note of them and them and C1 would then introduce a mechanism for providing the information to a look of table of lab derived adjustments.

For the more recent electronically equipped versions there may be some potential and that means that the testing team oould probably consider it if enough people asked and the real number of users could be assessed.

The challenge appears to be that the manual versions offer an acceptably low cost entry point and some interesting photographic experiences whereas the electronic equipped versions have, necessarily, crept up the price chart and may not represent such an easy to make investment decision.

There would be no harm in making the request for the newer versions but I could imagine seeing anything happening for the manual versions. (No matter what brand name they displayed!)

Grant
SFA

Postby thedovis » Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 pm

I use Autofocus lens and profile is still not correct (latest capture one version)
lens is "Samyang 35mm F1.4 AF FE"
And capture one in filters recognizes it as:
"Voiglander 35mm F/1.4 Nokton Classis (Sony E)" and it does not fix distortion.
I had to create my own profile to make corrections and every time I have to apply it to images.

Its possible to auto-apply when importing images, but sadly there is no "binding to specific lens" option, so when I use more than one lens, I can not auto apply it on import and have to manually filter this lens and apply my own profile. Quite time consuming.

Looking forward to new announced AF lenses for sony from samyang, sadly capture one does not follow those, they are very good quality lenses for half the price of original ones.
thedovis

Postby SFA » Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 pm

thedovis wrote:I use Autofocus lens and profile is still not correct (latest capture one version)
lens is "Samyang 35mm F1.4 AF FE"
And capture one in filters recognizes it as:
"Voiglander 35mm F/1.4 Nokton Classis (Sony E)" and it does not fix distortion.
I had to create my own profile to make corrections and every time I have to apply it to images.

Its possible to auto-apply when importing images, but sadly there is no "binding to specific lens" option, so when I use more than one lens, I can not auto apply it on import and have to manually filter this lens and apply my own profile. Quite time consuming.

Looking forward to new announced AF lenses for sony from samyang, sadly capture one does not follow those, they are very good quality lenses for half the price of original ones.

You should raise these points with the Capture One team using a Support Case.

This is intended to be a User to User forum provided by Phase but without official support.

All support and enhancement requests, for software and hardware, are best directed to the Phase CRM system which uses the Support Case option as the request portal.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows