Keystone / Auto Correction Fails?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Keystone / Auto Correction Fails?

Postby NN116688UL1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:16 pm

I've never been able to auto correct distoortion w/ keystone while using my Fuji GFX 50s files, I get the error. "Some of the selected Variants could not be auto adjusted."
However, I am able to auto correct distortion just fine with Adobe Raw, but then my workflow gets turned upside down since I can't process my RAW files via C1. Suggestions? Am I missing something?
NN116688UL1

Re: Keystone / Auto Correction Fails?

Postby Ian3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:22 pm

The auto function on the keystone tool only works with Phase One cameras. But it isn't too hard to use the tool manually, lining up the guides against known verticals.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Nature Isme » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Ian, you remind me that I need to submit a feature request to P1 because sometimes it's NOT easy to use the manual tool. The problem comes because the tool's target circles have very fine limes that are extremely hard (or impossible) to see in some images. While it's "usually" easy to see them for architectural subjects, some natural images can be quite challenging.

Alternatively, instead of using the circles for precise alignment, try the manual Vertical and Horizontal sliders.
Nature Isme

Postby Ian3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:58 pm

Nature Isme wrote:Ian, you remind me that I need to submit a feature request to P1 because sometimes it's NOT easy to use the manual tool. The problem comes because the tool's target circles have very fine limes that are extremely hard (or impossible) to see in some images. While it's "usually" easy to see them for architectural subjects, some natural images can be quite challenging.

Alternatively, instead of using the circles for precise alignment, try the manual Vertical and Horizontal sliders.

Yes, I agree with you that the circles are not always easy to see.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NN116688UL1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Yea however even in manual mode mode, it doesn't appear to be accurate with certain images and I have to resort to Adobe RAW. So is it safe to say Keystone is really only met for P1 files?
NN116688UL1

Postby Ian3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:33 pm

NN116688UL1 wrote:Yea however even in manual mode mode, it doesn't appear to be accurate with certain images and I have to resort to Adobe RAW. So is it safe to say Keystone is really only met for P1 files?

No, not at all. In what way do you find it not accurate?

Ian
Ian3

Postby Nature Isme » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:35 pm

What do you mean by 'accurate'? P1 tells us that the Auto function only works with P1 cameras. I find that manually adjusting Keystone (vertical, horizontal or both) works pretty well in C1. Sometimes the vertical correction results aren't visually appealing to me, though, because a little vertical keystone is visually preferable.

One thing: are you using 100% or greater magnification when you place the 4 alignment points? That's critical. Also, are your vertical and/or horizontal image features really horizontal and/or vertical?
Nature Isme

Postby Ian3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Also, by design, if you do your correction by lining up the verticals with the guides, Capture One adjusts it by only 80% of the amount (to accommodate what Nature Isme says about a little non-verticality looking a bit more natural.) You can adjust the amount in the tool to 100% if you want it strictly geometrically aligned, but I agree that that may not always look right.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NN116688UL1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Yea, seems to be a struggle with some images, very tough even while lining up the grid. Would be great if they could incorporate something like Adobe Raw in C13. I hit auto and shazam, all lines are right where I need them, but then as I stated I can't go back to C1 for Raw processing, Just for the record I am interior / architectural photog so straight lines are critical.
NN116688UL1

Postby Ian3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:52 pm

NN116688UL1 wrote:Yea, seems to be a struggle with some images, very tough even while lining up the grid. Would be great if they could incorporate something like Adobe Raw in C13. I hit auto and shazam, all lines are right where I need them, but then as I stated I can't go back to C1 for Raw processing, Just for the record I am interior / architectural photog so straight lines are critical.

So for you, 100% is the setting you want.

Ian
Ian3

Postby picman2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:53 am

Ian3 wrote:
Nature Isme wrote:Ian, you remind me that I need to submit a feature request to P1 because sometimes it's NOT easy to use the manual tool. The problem comes because the tool's target circles have very fine limes that are extremely hard (or impossible) to see in some images. While it's "usually" easy to see them for architectural subjects, some natural images can be quite challenging.

Yes, I agree with you that the circles are not always easy to see.

Ian

I'd like to second that.

Cheers, Bob.
picman2

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac