PhaseOne - please update Capture One 12 for Catalina

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Re: PhaseOne - please update Capture One 12 for Catalina

Postby PSS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:14 pm

SFA wrote:
PSS wrote:it really isn’t that hard to make a carbon system copy on an external drive, update that to a new os, see if or what works, what does not work and make a decision based on that....
I have personally run Catalina for over a month, absolutely zero issues with C1 or adobe or anything else....
If anything , everything seems a little zippier.....
Apple updated fcpx and it seems considerably faster now....
I don’t see why C1 is always so late to upgrade/update, I am hoping they will make serious changes under the hood and come up with a iPadOS solution and integration....
complaining here on this forum make no sense and can be frustrating because some users seem to see it as their duty to defend phase no matter what....

Not everyone is as Tech Savvy as you seem to be and most probably do not wish to have to become that knowledgeable. Probably why they bought into the Apple world in the first place.

As ever we seem to be seeing reports that some things work for some people and some things don't work for others.

If a developer is cautious enough to suggest that their users would do well to wait a while before upgrading it would suggest they are not entirely confident that all would be well and are not very keen to take on a potentially enormous support work load from complaining users while they try to make sure, in so far as they can, that all will be well as soon as possible.

As a PR exercise that seems a wise approach.

You are lucky enough to have found no problems so far. Good for you. Can you be sure that it will be the same for everyone else?

Would you be willing to provide immediate technical support to resolve any problems that anyone who read of your experience and decided to upgrade might discover?

To do so would seem to be a reasonable way to show people that you are prepared to stand by your observations and so convince them that they can make the upgrade now without fear of problems rather than waiting a short while.

I am in no way recommending anyone to update anything
I understand that phase (and adobe,...) have to come out with an official warning
you dont have to be tech savvy to do what i mentioned above and not having to be tech savvy is one of my main reasons to be a mac user
I honestly dont see a reason for a mad rush to upgrade to catalina, sidecar is great but requires latest iPads and i had to ditch one app myself in order to make the jump....
I honestly dont understand how every small (and some very big) developers can be on board on the first day but phase is always months behind when it comes to official support, in this case we are probably looking at v13 anyway, which will be a paid upgrade.....
which is why i am saying, for me, running on a 3 year old mbp, just like all other software, using sony cameras, zero issues....
to anyone who wants to safely test catalina: CCC (carbon copy cloner) which is great to have anyway, makes a copy of the existing system on an external drive, once done, restart from that external drive, update to catalina (the original /internal drive is still untouched), see if everything works, run all apps, try tethering,....
if everything works fine: restart using system on internal drive and update to Catalina there
if not: restart using internal drive and dont update to catalina....in this case maybe keep the external system and check in from time to time updating apps and system until everything works fine....
PSS

Postby Nature Isme » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 pm

It's nice to see Carbon Copy Cloner backups mentioned in a couple of replies on this thread.

Caveat: If you have a T2 Mac, in order to boot from a CCC clone you'll first need to boot into Recovery Mode, enter the Security Utility, and enable booting from USB devices. Otherwise afaik, your CCC clone won't be usable on that machine.

Note that disabling USB boot is a security feature, so you'll be reducing that aspect of security to what it was in pre-T2 Macs.

Assuming your computer is working under Catalina, you could boot into Recovery at any time. However, it might be wise to attend to this before you're in a pinch (and the panic that might result).
Nature Isme

Postby Jack-WestBend » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Please update Capture One 12 for Catalina OS!!!! Do you think I will upgrade to the NEW Version Capture One 20 when PhaseOne can't come up with an update for their current version at a reasonable time frame! FIX the compatability issues of version 12 to run with Catalina before sending out notices to purchase the new upcoming release!
Jack-WestBend

Postby JNA » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Jack-WestBend wrote:Please update Capture One 12 for Catalina OS!!!! Do you think I will upgrade to the NEW Version Capture One 20 when PhaseOne can't come up with an update for their current version at a reasonable time frame! FIX the compatability issues of version 12 to run with Catalina before sending out notices to purchase the new upcoming release!

No idea if C1 12 will be upgraded for Catalina, but if you check the release notes you will find that on December 10, 2018, C1 11.3.2 was released. It provided "Support for MacOS Mojave." Yes, this was 10 days or so after the release of C1 12 but support was provided for the prior OS. Maybe this will occur again and a 12.1.4 will arrive in December with Catalina support. I know it doesn't help users that want support for Catalina now but it doesn't mean v12 will not get supported at some point.
JNA

Postby DAndison » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Not too worried when C1 12 is updated as it's working well on Catalina for me. I don't make use of the extensions/plugins and so far is been behaving itself... both C1 and Catalina.

Actually, the one issue with Catalina I've notice so far on the laptop I'm using (2018 MacBook Pro), iso the True Tone is behaving a little odd at times... I tend to turn this off when I'm processing files anyway. Other than than, PS, C1, FCP X and Motion 5 all seem to be ok.

Edit...

Since the release of 10.15.1 True Tone is fixed in Catalina...
DAndison

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac