PhaseOne - please update Capture One 12 for Catalina

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

PhaseOne - please update Capture One 12 for Catalina

Postby NNN636924820630274590 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi PhaseOne,

all Capture One 12 macOS Catalina users need an update for the new operating system as soon as possible. Why take so much time? Why don't you let us know when we can expect an update?

Regards
Burkhard
NNN636924820630274590

Re: PhaseOne - please update Capture One 12 for Catalina

Postby tenmangu81 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi Burkhard,

Answers to your request have been given in other threads of this forum. The problem is that, very often, the last beta version and the final release version of the OS are not quite the same, and an anticipated (based on last beta version) release of C1 could be a source of uncontroled bugs.
So, be patient, the next version (13) of Capture One, compliant with Catalina, will be released soon.
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:24 am

I appears Catalina is itself is not quite stable yet

See some of the discussion here:
https://www.macintouch.com/community/index.php?threads/macos-10-15-catalina.2054/page-10#post-22301
Eric Nepean

Postby NNN636579228497173990 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:30 am

same here: c1 on catalina fails, e.g. the import process (which is, who would know, sort of essential) crashes c1 constantly.

it could be funny, but it isnt, since it stops me from my regular processes, which will pile up eventually.

best thing is: no announcement, no answer to the question "when will it work".

imho, this is very serious BS, especially coming from a pro software vendor.

i have complained many times, in the forum and with tech support; at least, this might be a warning for potential customers.
NNN636579228497173990

Postby Ian3 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 am

NNN636579228497173990 wrote:same here: c1 on catalina fails, e.g. the import process (which is, who would know, sort of essential) crashes c1 constantly.

it could be funny, but it isnt, since it stops me from my regular processes, which will pile up eventually.

best thing is: no announcement, no answer to the question "when will it work".

imho, this is very serious BS, especially coming from a pro software vendor.

i have complained many times, in the forum and with tech support; at least, this might be a warning for potential customers.

Well, they have warned us often enough not to upgrade our OS before they announce that C1 supports it.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:28 am

The Adobe community take on the challenge, including the death of the perpetual CC licence.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photosho ... 64#M270876

The comments (that I have read) are interesting.

They more or less mirror what we see here.

There are a couple of especially pertinent comments from yesterday (18th October 2019).

Whilst Apple seems to be a high repeat challenge - every 6 months and then a major event every year or so? - Microsoft are no less culpable though in many ways seemingly more random.

The only benefit of Windows is that it seems to be easier to keep old version relevant for longer and so offer greater protection to "perpetual" licenses.

I would guess that the C1 user base, by numbers of licensed devices, is quite heavily biased towards Apple users which must cause additional headaches and pressures - especially at this time of year. It may be the same for Adobe, based on the comments in the link above.
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:49 am

4. Wait until your major software apps have been upgraded after the OS's upgrade. That's usually 1-4 months later (they have to work out their bugs, too). No software manufacturer can program in advance all the things needed for a new release in the operating system. They do not have crystal balls about future operating systems or magic wands that fix things instantly.
5. Check the websites of your major software apps. Look for wording that specifically says your version is compatible with Apple Catalina OS 10.15. If they don't say anything about Catalina, then they haven't finished retooling their software to work with Catalina.

Seemed like wise advice to me! And, as you say, very similar to what people have been saying here. It certainly disproves the claim some angry users seem to make that every other software manufacturer can do it so why can't Phase One.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Nature Isme » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm not at all upset with P1 for waiting. I've received communications from several software vendors whose products I use, advising users NOT to upgrade to Catalina yet as their software hasn't been fully tested under Catalina. Indeed, as others pointed out, there are some really troubling problem reports about Catalina and other reports suggesting that Apple's working hard to fix things.

While it's nice to have the latest greatest OS, a lot of experienced Mac users hold off on major OS updates until at least the .1 release (I wait until at least .4 lately).

The unfortunate thing, though, is it sounds like C1 12.x doesn't work under Catalina and if history is a guide, C1 will wait until v13 to support Catalina. It would be nice, though, considering that the basic Import function seems hosed, if P1 at least patched v12 for that.
Nature Isme

Postby PSS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:54 pm

it really isn’t that hard to make a carbon system copy on an external drive, update that to a new os, see if or what works, what does not work and make a decision based on that....
I have personally run Catalina for over a month, absolutely zero issues with C1 or adobe or anything else....
If anything , everything seems a little zippier.....
Apple updated fcpx and it seems considerably faster now....
I don’t see why C1 is always so late to upgrade/update, I am hoping they will make serious changes under the hood and come up with a iPadOS solution and integration....
complaining here on this forum make no sense and can be frustrating because some users seem to see it as their duty to defend phase no matter what....
PSS

Postby SFA » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:54 pm

PSS wrote:it really isn’t that hard to make a carbon system copy on an external drive, update that to a new os, see if or what works, what does not work and make a decision based on that....
I have personally run Catalina for over a month, absolutely zero issues with C1 or adobe or anything else....
If anything , everything seems a little zippier.....
Apple updated fcpx and it seems considerably faster now....
I don’t see why C1 is always so late to upgrade/update, I am hoping they will make serious changes under the hood and come up with a iPadOS solution and integration....
complaining here on this forum make no sense and can be frustrating because some users seem to see it as their duty to defend phase no matter what....

Not everyone is as Tech Savvy as you seem to be and most probably do not wish to have to become that knowledgeable. Probably why they bought into the Apple world in the first place.

As ever we seem to be seeing reports that some things work for some people and some things don't work for others.

If a developer is cautious enough to suggest that their users would do well to wait a while before upgrading it would suggest they are not entirely confident that all would be well and are not very keen to take on a potentially enormous support work load from complaining users while they try to make sure, in so far as they can, that all will be well as soon as possible.

As a PR exercise that seems a wise approach.

You are lucky enough to have found no problems so far. Good for you. Can you be sure that it will be the same for everyone else?

Would you be willing to provide immediate technical support to resolve any problems that anyone who read of your experience and decided to upgrade might discover?

To do so would seem to be a reasonable way to show people that you are prepared to stand by your observations and so convince them that they can make the upgrade now without fear of problems rather than waiting a short while.
SFA

Postby NN886482 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:Hi Burkhard,

Answers to your request have been given in other threads of this forum. The problem is that, very often, the last beta version and the final release version of the OS are not quite the same, and an anticipated (based on last beta version) release of C1 could be a source of uncontroled bugs.
So, be patient, the next version (13) of Capture One, compliant with Catalina, will be released soon.
Robert

that is disappointing to hear that we need to pay for another upgrade just to get it to work on a current MacOS
NN886482

Postby SFA » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:10 pm

NN886482 wrote:

Robert

that is disappointing to hear that we need to pay for another upgrade just to get it to work on a current MacOS

You do realise that that is not an official statement don't you?

On the plus side at least, if that situation proves to be an accurate forecast, you have the opportunity to make the upgrade if you choose to do so.

Folks using other products that are not subscription products seem to be lacking that option.

However, I write as a Windows user still using Windows 7 quite happily so I perhaps my observations are not to be trusted ...
SFA

Postby tenmangu81 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 pm

NN886482 wrote:

Robert

Until now, I never upgraded Capture One for MacOS compliance only, but mostly for the improvements Phase One added to it. Upgrading a software or an OS is very often a matter of user's policy. Every user has to judge what would be the consequences of any upgrading. For instance, upgrading to Catalina when you have "perpetual" licences for 32 bits softwares (which is my case) doesn't seem relevant to me. For the time being, I am not sure about the improvements brought with Catalina with respect to Mojave. But I admit some could think differently.
tenmangu81

Postby Ian3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:30 pm

NN886482 wrote:

Robert

As has been pointed out, that is not an announcement from Phase One. We don't yet know whether compatibility with Catalina will come only with version 13 or with a point update to version 12. With past OS updates, it has worked sometimes one way and sometimes the other as far as I can recall.

Ian
Ian3

Postby tenmangu81 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:51 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:So, be patient, the next version (13) of Capture One, compliant with Catalina, will be released soon.
Robert

This is not indeed an official announcement, as coming from a user !! Only a guess....
tenmangu81

Next

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac