Moved Session to new location, previews render again?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Moved Session to new location, previews render again?

Postby Yankov » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:31 am

I have a technical question that I am trying to see if anyone here got an answer.

So I have a session, finished shooting, and of course, the photo will be "rendered" during the shoot so that I have previews of them. At the end of the shoot, I always upload the whole session to the "mother ship" hard drive of my studio. Then we will open that session on this mother ship hard drive and start working on it as needed. I think, the computer will have to refer all the previews again in this situation. This is slowing the whole working process down for quite a bit. For example, I did a photo shoot yesterday with around 50G files from IQ4 150MP, and I just open the session now, I straightly go into the culling process on the mother ship harddisk but I will have to wait for the photo to render as if the photo were just imported in to this session. Meaning that I will have to wait for probably a few minutes, before I can start working.

So, is this normal? Isn't it not the case that the revered preview actually goes with the session folder? Why do we need to render the previews again in a situation like this? Or, did I do anything wrong.

Anyone getting a similar problem? I think it has been the same case for me, like forever. I never really look into it, but I don't think that is reasonable. Any thoughts?
Yankov
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Moved Session to new location, previews render again?

Postby Ian3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 am

I don't have an answer, but I do have a thought. Are the preview sizes the same on the two systems? (Preferences>Image>Preview size.

Ian
Ian3

Re: Moved Session to new location, previews render again?

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 am

Look at the dates of the preview files.

Have they changed between the first session and the copied session?

Are your viewing screen sizes (native size) the same on both machines?

Do you have an Output Profile set for the display of images? Is it the same on both machines? ( I don't think this would change the preview but significant differences might alter one's perception about how long loads take when a large number of images are to be loaded into memory and pre-prepared at the start of an editing session.)
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac