Crashes freezes and memory leaks

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Crashes freezes and memory leaks

Postby Skids » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:15 am

It is fair to say that I am having a bad time with the Capture One database/catalog. I imported a LR catalog of 80,000 images into Capture One. The catalog is stored on an internal SSD with the images being stored on a removable USB 3 drive.

The system has worked o.k. for a couple of months but a few days ago the main catalog became corrupted. The corruption occurred just after I tried to have Capture One create a sub folder under the designated destination folder in the image import dialog.

I restored the catalog from time machine as well as asking support for help. Their only suggestion was a complete uninstall and a clean install which I have now completed - twice.

I have also verified the catalog, backed it up and then restored from backup but now Capture One is extremely unstable frequently displaying a spinning beach ball and requiring a Force Quit and a reload. The one time I waited the whole computer froze with an out of memory error. So an unhappy system and user.

While I was planning to export my images into a new catalog I discovered that one of the disk permissions, "everyone" on the drive that holds the images was set to read only. This came to light when I noticed that the option to create a new folder was greyed out in the save to catalog dialog. Changing this permission to read/write has enabled this button. Do you think that this read only setting could be the root cause of the problems I have been experiencing ? I have asked in a support request but the answers to my many previous questions have not been very technical or helpful.

I really like the image editing aspects of the application but the database is rather poor. Strange when iMediaPro was so useful eighteen years or so ago.

best wishes

Simon
Skids

Re: Crashes freezes and memory leaks

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am

First elinate the disks and the HW. Check that both SSds have at leaest 15% empty space, and check that they don't have any storage errors (using disk util)

Now check for catalog problems. Check inside the Catalog (using Finder) - if there is more than one CatalogName.cocatalogdb file, delete the older ones.
There is probably a CatalogName.cocatalogdb.backup file; make a new folder hidden inside that catalog and move the cocatalogdb.backup file there.
Then delete the Cache folder inside the catalog.

It will take a while for Capture One to regenerate all the previews.

If you still have trouble after preview generation is completed, then check for Capture One preferences and confiuration issues.
Delete (by renaming) the Capture One plist file and delete the Capture One Cache folder:
  • Plist file--> /users/youruserid/Library/Preferences/com.phaseone.captureone12.plist
  • Cache Folder--> /users/youruserid/Library/Caches/com.phaseone.captureone12
(Rather than deleting the Plist file entirely, rename it - that way if there unexpected problems the change is reversible.)

If these actions don't provide relief (they have for me in the past) then again delete the Plist file and rename Capture One's Application Support folder-->
  • /users/youruserid/Library/Application Support/Capture One
This will disable your recipes, keyboard short cuts, keyword list and recipes (but I think you can get them back)

If that fixes the problem, then there are folders in the renamed Capture One Application Support folder for each of these categories of settings. To retreive the settings, copy these folders back one by one, and check after each one to see if it causes a slowdown.

If all of that doesn't fix the problem I think your only option is a complete reinstall of Capture One.

Finally move your CatalogName.cocatalogdb.backup file back to where it was.
Last edited by Eric Nepean on Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Nepean

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 am

Skids wrote:It is fair to say that I am having a bad time with the Capture One database/catalog. I imported a LR catalog of 80,000 images into Capture One. The catalog is stored on an internal SSD with the images being stored on a removable USB 3 drive.

The system has worked o.k. for a couple of months but a few days ago the main catalog became corrupted. The corruption occurred just after I tried to have Capture One create a sub folder under the designated destination folder in the image import dialog.

I restored the catalog from time machine as well as asking support for help. Their only suggestion was a complete uninstall and a clean install which I have now completed - twice.

I have also verified the catalog, backed it up and then restored from backup but now Capture One is extremely unstable frequently displaying a spinning beach ball and requiring a Force Quit and a reload. The one time I waited the whole computer froze with an out of memory error. So an unhappy system and user.

While I was planning to export my images into a new catalog I discovered that one of the disk permissions, "everyone" on the drive that holds the images was set to read only. This came to light when I noticed that the option to create a new folder was greyed out in the save to catalog dialog. Changing this permission to read/write has enabled this button. Do you think that this read only setting could be the root cause of the problems I have been experiencing ? I have asked in a support request but the answers to my many previous questions have not been very technical or helpful.

I really like the image editing aspects of the application but the database is rather poor. Strange when iMediaPro was so useful eighteen years or so ago.

best wishes

Simon

Did you sanitise the LR catalog before importing to C1?

Did you import leaving the LR catalog as it was as a "referenced" location for the original files?

If so, are the Referenced folders still active with other file activity sources? (Other application, Synchronisation activity, etc.)
SFA

Postby Skids » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:33 am

Thanks for your helpful replies. I thought that I has replied earlier but it looks like my message did not arrive.

Did you sanitise the LR catalog before importing to C1? - Yes

Did you import leaving the LR catalog as it was as a "referenced" location for the original files? - Yes

If so, are the Referenced folders still active with other file activity sources? (Other application, Synchronisation activity, etc.)
Yes they get backed up and LR still has access.

I think that I have traced the catalog corruption to a problem with disk permissions: it seems that when I set C1 to add a sub folder as part as the image import process that it did not have the correct permissions to create the folder. Unfortunately this error did not throw a hard error but caused C1 to enter an infinite loop with each pass using more computer memory. This loop was either terminated with a Force Quit or by the computer when it ran out of memory. Either termination left the catalog in a corrupt state.

Simon
Skids

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:32 pm

It's good of you to report back. Many do not, and you are left wondering what was the problem and how was it fixed.
Eric Nepean

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 am

I'll echo Eric's thanks.

As a Windows rather than Mac user but someone who likes to at least follow both parts of the forum one thing that always strikes me is how often Permissions troubles come up with Macs and yet rarely do so with Windows.

I assume that the theory is that Macs offer better secure control over access to data, programs or whatever but in some cases the opposite seems true is so far as system management is concerned. It seems like a strange outcome so I must be missing something.

It's almost tempting to always suggest checking permissions for almost any Mac trouble report as a precaution and possible time saver. But then to do so will likely be wrong often enough that the constant suggestion would simply be an annoyance and people's idea receptors would just turn it off.

As a matter of interest did you look at the log files and did they offer any clues about the nature of the problem? Repeated time out messages for example?

I know that things can get ridiculous if one tries to catch every possible application activity in a log file but there may be some situations that arise over time due to new code somewhere, not necessarily the application in use, that could become a trigger for additional log file reporting to be included. So perhaps worth sharing you finding with Phase if you have not already done so.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac