COP12 PM6 XMP

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

COP12 PM6 XMP

Postby tuxster » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 pm

I have been trying to get COP12 and PM6 to show color class and ratings. So far I have been able to make label changes and rating in PM6 show up in COP12 but if I make a change in COP12 it does not get seen in PM6. It appears to be a one way communication.

I have changed labels in PM6 to reflect same in COP12 that's not it. Something to do with writing the XMP files.

As it stands I make a change in PM6 to either a DNG or a jpg its instantly shown in COP12. But when I make a change in COP12 it never shows in PM6.

Anyone get these two working properly ?

MJ
tuxster

Re: COP12 PM6 XMP

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:48 am

It may be helpful for those who also use this synchronisation and and may ba able to assist you if you could indicate have you have things set in the Preferences for the Image settings - specifically the Metadata settings.

Grant
SFA

Re: COP12 PM6 XMP

Postby OddS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:09 pm

tuxster wrote:...As it stands I make a change in PM6 to either a DNG or a jpg its instantly shown in COP12. But when I make a change in COP12 it never shows in PM6.

Anyone get these two working properly ?

The explanation is that PM does not consider sidecar XMP files a metadata carrier for some types of image files. PM expects DNGs and JPGs to have their metadata embedded. PM embeds metadata, C1 reads them. C1 writes metadata to sidecar XMP, PM doesn't read.

C1 never overwrites an existing image, thus you can not make C1 write metadata in the image file where PM will look for them.

For certain image file types you are stuck with a one way transfer of metadata, from PM to C1. I noticed the issue a few years ago when I got a camera with DNG as the raw file format. I only had to adjust my workflow a little to make sure I followed my own advice: do all metadata work in PM. That is not a loss for me, PM is (by far) the better metadata tool.

I have posted about this in the PM support forum, but I think the current behavior is here to stay. Feel free to post a request for change over at PM.
OddS

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac