Tether must also save to card for me to consider Capture One

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Tether must also save to card for me to consider Capture One

Postby NNN636668758366523861 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:46 am

Hi, all...

Went to a pre-sales seminar today on Capture One v12. Found out that when tethering with a Canon body, the software will not save to the card and the computer simultaneously, only to the computer. This is a deal-killer for me. What if the hard disk dies? There's no backup until I can get the computer back on my network and back up to another drive.

Saving to the card as well as the computer provides protection against failures. Lightroom lets you do this for Canon cameras. Capture One should too. PhaseOne, will you please add this capability? Thx
NNN636668758366523861

Re: Tether must also save to card for me to consider Capture

Postby cdc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 am

Capture One does not offer that function. It's not uncommon to make a back up to an external hard drive during the shoot. Alternatively you could use Canon EOS Utility which I believe does allow capture to both card & hard drive, then enable hot folders in Capture One.
cdc

Postby DIMICOLOGY » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:17 am

Seems like it is a Canon issue then because I can do this when using my Fuji X-T3. I save to SDCard and at the same time the pictures goes into my Laptop hardrive.
DIMICOLOGY

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 pm

NNN636668758366523861 wrote:Hi, all...

Went to a pre-sales seminar today on Capture One v12. Found out that when tethering with a Canon body, the software will not save to the card and the computer simultaneously, only to the computer. This is a deal-killer for me. What if the hard disk dies? There's no backup until I can get the computer back on my network and back up to another drive.

Saving to the card as well as the computer provides protection against failures. Lightroom lets you do this for Canon cameras. Capture One should too. PhaseOne, will you please add this capability? Thx

Firstly this is a User to User forum so if you want to make the feedback directly to Phase you're best option is to create a Support case and let them know.

Secondly there are two ways of "tethering".

The "Hot Folder" method where the camera talks to the computer and dumps files on a disk (or disks) into a specified folder. Capture One monitors that folder and allows the files to be worked on from there. This uses the camera's internal processing for issuing File Names, etc.

Then there is full control from the application where the camera file handling is bypassed to allow faster operation and direct control from the computer. Naming for files is handled in Capture One and incoming files can be placed in a file structure within the computer that, if used 'smartly', can save time later as well as being very useful during the shoot - especially things like fashion shoots in a studio, product shoots, etc.

You probably know all of this but the point of mentioning it is that if working in full tethered mode there is no facility in the camera to act as a backup device (or at least that it the historic situation for most cameras.) I doubt it would be beneficial to speed of operation either.

However on the computer I think it is fair to say that most users using full tethering will also deploy a perpetual backup tool to ensure that any images delivered to the computer's storage is also backed up to a separate local drive and possibly even a networked or web based drive as further security. This will, typically, be a much faster solution than using a camera's internal file management speed, limited by the memory card for example, and also ensures that any rating and editing activity can also be saved securely.

Recent Phase One digital backs do allow saving to memory in the back when tethered, iirc, but then they also have Capture One installed so I suppose that means it is entirely logical to be able to save the files as well ... there may be some limitation s that I am not familiar with.

So really it's a question of which method of tethering offers you the most comfortable feeling as you are working. Or perhaps which is the most efficient and effective?

Grant
SFA

Postby DIMICOLOGY » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 pm

I just checked with CO 12.0.2 and my Fuji X-T3 (latest firmware) and with the following settings I can have a copy of the tethered image in the SDCard at the same time as in the computer. This offer some kind of Backup during the shoot.

Under Camera / Settings / Connection Settings / PC Connection mode >>> Choose USB Tether Shooting Auto.
DIMICOLOGY

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac