Lens Distortion

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Lens Distortion

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:03 pm

I am trialing version 12 and noticed something I had not noticed before.

I normally process raw (Olympus E-M1.2) so this never came up with version 11, but I recently bought an 8mm fisheye lens to use as a UWA lens. Olympus has in-camera firmware that automatically de-fishes the jpgs so you can choose between normal rectilinear 10.5mm, 8mm or 6.5mm (approximately) images, but only the jpgs. Given this, I was processing some jpgs and noticed that I can not apply any distortion correction adjustments to them. I can to the raws, but not the jpgs, and I was wondering if there is some setting that would allow me to make some minor distortion adjustments to the jpgs.

This functionality is the same in version 11 (I checked) but given that I don't normally work in jpgs I had not seen it until now.
MikeFromMesa

Re: Lens Distortion

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi Mike,

The lens data that C1 would require is, afaik, burned in to a jpg and deemed to be applied as processed.

You have the Keystone tool but not much else.

With a jpg you are looking at pixel pushing to make any extra adjustments - so Affinity, or some sort of Photoshop feature set is likely necessary.

Coincidentally I too was reminded of this just 2 or 3 weeks ago when I was editing an image for which I only have a jpg.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Re: Lens Distortion

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:17 pm

SFA wrote:Hi Mike,

The lens data that C1 would require is, afaik, burned in to a jpg and deemed to be applied as processed.

You have the Keystone tool but not much else.

With a jpg you are looking at pixel pushing to make any extra adjustments - so Affinity, or some sort of Photoshop feature set is likely necessary.

Coincidentally I too was reminded of this just 2 or 3 weeks ago when I was editing an image for which I only have a jpg.

Thanks for the information. That seems unfortunate, but it is what I have been doing so it will not add any more complexity to my workflow.
MikeFromMesa

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac