Location of User Presets for Backup

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Location of User Presets for Backup

Postby prh » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:37 pm

Where are user presets stored on a Mac so I can ensure they are backed-up and ready to move to a new machine?

PRH
prh

Re: Location of User Presets for Backup

Postby Ian3 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:26 pm

Mine seem to be at Users⁩ ▸ [user name]⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Capture One⁩ ▸ ⁨Presets60⁩. I don't know why it's Presets60, but I tried adding one just now and it appeared in the appropriate subfolder there.

Ian
Ian3

Postby prh » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks Ian, I am new to Capture One and initially setup a preset for file naming and tried to find it!! It's not in Preset60?

Peter
prh

Postby Ian3 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:18 pm

I don't know. But all I did to find where mine were was to go to the Library (it must be in there somewhere!) and search for the word Preset. I got presets of other kinds as well, of course, but I suppose you could narrow it down by starting your search in Library>Application support>Capture One. Good luck!

However, I see no file naming presets in that folder on my computer. You could try an experiment, for instance creating a preset for a vignette of -1.5 stops (just as an experiment). I find that it appears in Users⁩ ▸ ⁨[user name] ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Capture One⁩ ▸ ⁨Presets60⁩ ▸ ⁨Vignetting⁩. Does that work? Looking at the long list of things that it saves presets of, naming doesn't seem to be one of them. Does that actually work as a "preset" or as something else?

Ian
Ian3

Postby Nature Isme » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:29 pm

Mine are also in my user Library/Application Support/Capture One/Presets60 folder. Are you sure you're in the [normally invisible] Library folder?
Nature Isme

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:12 pm

Using Windows the only place I have found them so far is in the User.config file.

The equivalent for Mac is what?
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Perhaps naming on import is not stored in the same way. I have just created an input name preset as a test. It doesn't appear that I can see in the Preset60 folder, and a search in the Library folder for files created or modified today shows up nothing that could be that preset. On the other hand an adjustment preset clearly shows up. It must keep track of things like my currently selected naming template, my preset that I have just created, my currently selected process recipe, and so on, but I can't work out where.

How crucial is it to back that up and copy it? Is it not fairly easy to create or re-create a naming preset? All the other presets, as discussed, seem to be in that Preset60 folder, and that could be copied to another machine if you wanted.

Ian
Ian3

Postby prh » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:07 pm

Ian

I agree that not a particularly important 'preset' but was just wondering where they are stored!!

Thank you all for your input and I do now know that Preset60 is a place to backup.

Peter
prh

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:21 pm

File naming presets are the exception on presets with regard to the storage location. These presets are stored inside the preference file (.plist file). This applies to Windows as well.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby prh » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Thank you Paul, mystery solved!

Peter
prh

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am

Ian3 wrote:(...)
I don't know why it's Presets60, but I tried adding one just now and it appeared in the appropriate subfolder there.

Ian, special for you: before Capture One 6 is was the Presets folder. Since CO6 the presets were overhauled and made cross-platform compatible. To distinguish between the two generations of presets, a new folder was made: Presets60. We use them ever since.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:27 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
Ian3 wrote:(...)
I don't know why it's Presets60, but I tried adding one just now and it appeared in the appropriate subfolder there.

Ian, special for you: before Capture One 6 is was the Presets folder. Since CO6 the presets were overhauled and made cross-platform compatible. To distinguish between the two generations of presets, a new folder was made: Presets60. We use them ever since.

Mystery solved!

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac