C1P not building previews after import

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

C1P not building previews after import

Postby Ivan E.M. » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi,

Since upgrading to 12.0.1 I have a problem on one of my Macs.

When importing images in C1P 12.0.1 on my iMac, the program doesn't build previews automatically anymore. While importing images on C1P 12.0.1 on my MacBook Pro, the program builds previews like it used to in older versions.

I have compared the preferences of C1P on both Macs and I haven't found a difference. It looks like they are set up the same, except for Preview size, since the Retina display of the iMac is much bigger than the display of the MacBook Pro.

On the iMac I either have to manually give the command 'Regenerate Previews' or restart the program to have those preview built.

Any idea's what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Re: C1P not building previews after import

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 pm

I suggest to report this in a support case for further analysis.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ivan E.M. » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm

Thanks for your reply Paul.

I've contacted Phase One Support and did some extra tests. The problem exists in every single catalogue, even in a newly created one. So it's probably not a corrupted database that's causing the problem. I've sent the log-files to Support. Hopefully they'll have a solution.

Best,
Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby Erik23 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:26 am

Hi Ivan
I had a problem I think similar to this. Does it say there are no results for this filter?

Try going to the filters tab/tool under the library tab. The three dots are on the top right hand corner which brings down a drop down menu there is a tab called global filters. For some reason mine had Always hide RAW files selected. I don't know how or why but it was. When I unchecked that they all populated. I hope that helps
Erik23

Postby Ivan E.M. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply. No, filters have nothing to do with it. It's not like the RAW file are missing, no they are there but they are heavy pixelated. Capture One does import and show them, but it doesn't build previews for them. I guess COP shows the embedded jpeg that comes with the RAF.

Cheers,
Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby Ivan E.M. » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi,

The best part of a month has gone by and still no solution to my problem. After creating a support case and - as suggested by the support team - having created new catalogs, uninstalling and reinstalling COP, clearing COP's preferences, setting different sizes for preview, rebuilding the OpenCL cache, changing OpenCL-settings... nothing has changed.

Well, that's not true. Sometimes COP generates preview on import and then again it doesn't, whatever preview size or OpenCL-setting I have dialed in. I've spent hours testing different settings and importing images. Weird thing is, this never happened before upgrading to 12.0.1 and it didn't go away after updating to 12.0.2

Btw, since 12.0.1 the import window is acting strange too. Sometimes there's nothing under the tab Adjustments (I normally select a self made adjustment preset that lives there) and sometimes I can't select which images to import and which not. Opening and closing the import window several times usually solves these problems. Nevertheless very annoying.

Also very annoying is the support offered. In the weeks gone by I repeatedly had to remind the support team of my case. They apologized every single time but offered no solution yet. And finally today, after a full week of silence from the Phase One side I saw the case was 'closed'. So I created a new case, referring to the previous one. I immediately got a reply with apologies once more and the promise they would look into it.

Four weeks in total, several suggested solutions (some of them given twice over time) that didn't work. Several reminders from my side that I was still waiting for a reply and tons of apologies from the support team, but no solution. I'm kind of loosing faith to be frank.

Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby SFA » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:10 pm

Ivan E.M. wrote:Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply. No, filters have nothing to do with it. It's not like the RAW file are missing, no they are there but they are heavy pixelated. Capture One does import and show them, but it doesn't build previews for them. I guess COP shows the embedded jpeg that comes with the RAF.

Cheers,
Ivan

That would not make sense unless there is something very different in the processing of RAF files.

"Heavy Pixellated almost suggests that you are seeing the Thumbnails at maximum size and not the Previews.

Do you use the same Workspace definitions on both machines?

If you still have the situation where everything works on one machine but not on the other (both running the same version of the OS?) then is seems very likely that it is something machine/installation specific that may be obscure enough that it would not be trapped and reported in any log files.

As part of your investigation process did you at some point clear out the memory cache and all of th temporary files?

Do you copy catalogues from one system to another?

When using the import window and NOT seeing the Adjustments tab entries, are you running the window at full screen size for that screen? (The 4k screen or your other screen?)

Are your GUI device drivers up to date? Or, possibly, have you tried backing out the most reason driver updates on the problem system?

Do you use scaling for the display on the 4k screen?

Grant
SFA

Postby Ivan E.M. » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to answer your questions below.

SFA wrote:Do you use the same Workspace definitions on both machines?

Yes I Do.

SFA wrote:As part of your investigation process did you at some point clear out the memory cache and all of th temporary files?

Yes, I did.

SFA wrote:Do you copy catalogues from one system to another?

Yes, I have done so.

SFA wrote:When using the import window and NOT seeing the Adjustments tab entries, are you running the window at full screen size for that screen? (The 4k screen or your other screen?)

No, I'm not.

SFA wrote:Are your GUI device drivers up to date? Or, possibly, have you tried backing out the most reason driver updates on the problem system?

Do you use scaling for the display on the 4k screen?

Sorry, I don't understand the two questions above.

Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby Ivan E.M. » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi,

Earlier this week I had a screenshare session with a friendly member of the Phase One Support Team. He changed a couple of settings on my iMac (eg permissions) and everything seemed to work okay. Great, problem solved. Until today that is.

When I imported a couple of new images about an hour or two ago COP didn't build previews automatically. I had to give the commando to build previews manually. As soon as COP finished building the previews I visited a folder of images I had imported a couple of days ago. At that time COP did build previews during import, but now it starts rebuilding those previews again.

The batch of images I have imported today is rather small, 27 images. Each time I revisit this folder, COP starts building previews again and again and again. Al least 10 times by now. Each time I wait for COP to build all 27 previews before I quit the folder. And eacht time I revisit the folder COP starts building again.

Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby NNN636210201223228964 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 am

Hi,
I had the same issue with you , I thought that how C1 work . But I tried to delete the programe and re-install it . It does fix the issue for me.
I hope it help
Steve
NNN636210201223228964

Postby Ivan E.M. » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply and I'm glad to read that reinstalling Capture One solved your problem. I have tried solving mine by reinstalling C1P about a month ago. With no result. Since then I tried a bunch of things, none worked.

Phase One Support is still looking for a solution. Earlier today they offered me few possible remedies but the last couple of weeks I've been so busy I had very little time to experiment. Hopefully this weekend or next week I'll have more time.

But I have to admit that the problem isn't consistent, sometimes it happens and then again it doesn't. Strange.

Regards,
Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby ShaneB » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 am

Ivan E.M. wrote:But I have to admit that the problem isn't consistent, sometimes it happens and then again it doesn't. Strange.

Same here. I can't see any pattern in this.

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Postby Ivan E.M. » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Hi Shane,

Maybe this is rather hardware related than a software issue. What are the specs of your computer?

Regards,
Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Postby ShaneB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:44 am

Ivan E.M. wrote:Hi Shane,

Maybe this is rather hardware related than a software issue. What are the specs of your computer?

Regards,
Ivan

Gidday Ivan

Late 2014 27" iMac
i7 Processor
24G 1600 DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB
Running Mojave.

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Postby Ivan E.M. » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:42 pm

Gidday to you too Shane :-)

So that's a 5K iMac too. I've been searching the internet quite intensively a few weeks ago and (almost) everyone who had problems of any kind with the C1P previews was working on a 5K Mac.

On DPReview I even found a post of someone who changed the size of the margins and proof margins back to default (in Preferences > Appearance > Margins) and successfully solved his problems that way. If I remember right he also recommended setting the preview size to 3840 for a 5K monitor, and not 5120.

Cheers,
Ivan
Ivan E.M.

Next

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac