Wishlist for next version...maybe.

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Wishlist for next version...maybe.

Postby M_conn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 pm

I have to reiterate what others have expressed and admit that I’m not all that blown away by V12. I’ve noticed an increase in library loading speed in V12, especially in “All Images” folder. The new gradient tools are nice if not possibly overdue - the radial will find it’s way into my workflow for certain images, but I still am not sure how much I’ll use the luminance mask feature. Overall, I’m still happy with C1 as a program and have no plans to jump ship, but I can’t help but feel that Phaseone has continually overlooked simple features that should have been added, and some that have even been requested for several versions. It has the feel of disregarding their customers’ input.

Feature wishlists are frequently based on personal workflows and individual preferences formed from a photographer’s skill, genre focus, etc, and I don’t claim my list to be any different. Still, my wishlist for the next version:

- There is no longer a keyboard shortcut for "Edit With". The longer I use V12 the more glaring after becoming part of my workflow in V11. Give it back.
- enhanced/improved clone and heal brushes. For instance, multiple healing spots on a single layer. I don’t think that basic healing should require a round trip to an outside editor.
- Subfolder viewing in the Viewer while library navigation is on a parent folder. Or the option for this.
- Histogram tool no longer shows cursor position with a vertical yellow line in the image histogram in V12. Nice for a quick, loose check of values at specific locations in an image. I’d like it back.
- Keyboard navigation of browser with arrow keys without having to recheck on an image. So often I automatically try to navigate the browser only to hear that "clunk" alert that the navigation focus is not on the browser. This lack of feature is more annoying when using the Compare mode. If the browser is hidden to maximize screen space, the arrow keys are useless to navigate through images. Yes, you can hold down ⌘-with an arrow key to navigate (on Mac's) at any time, but holding down 2 keys for basic browser navigations is cumbersome.

Those are my major annoyances with day-to-day use of C1. The things that break my workflow or continue to vex it. I plan to send the list as a support ticket and hope for the best.

Any of my wants overlap yours?
M_conn

Re: Wishlist for next version...maybe.

Postby OddS » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:08 am

M_conn wrote:...- Histogram tool no longer shows cursor position with a vertical yellow line in the image histogram in V12.

Perhaps a bug in the Mac version and worth reporting to support? The vertical yellow/orange line appears in Histogram, Levels and Curve in my windows 10.
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby Ian3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:58 am

OddS wrote:
M_conn wrote:...- Histogram tool no longer shows cursor position with a vertical yellow line in the image histogram in V12.

Perhaps a bug in the Mac version and worth reporting to support? The vertical yellow/orange line appears in Histogram, Levels and Curve in my windows 10.

It appears (most of the time) in my Mac version, too. It was a bit intermittent in previous versions too.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 am

OddS wrote:

And all places I would expect to see it in Windows 7 in my case.

So it does sound rather like a Mac thing. A strange one though.

Grant
SFA

Postby cdc » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:07 pm

The yellow line is present on my mac. Perhaps just an issue with your install/machine?
Maybe try clearing out your preferences/cache?
cdc

Postby M_conn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Interesting. I assumed they had removed the yellow line.

cdc wrote:The yellow line is present on my mac. Perhaps just an issue with your install/machine?
Maybe try clearing out your preferences/cache?

Anyone guide me to where the preferences/cache is stored? Not seeing it in user/library/application support/capture one
M_conn

Postby cdc » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:46 pm

They're in User/Library/Caches & User/Library/Preferences
cdc

Postby M_conn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:17 pm

cdc wrote:They're in User/Library/Caches & User/Library/Preferences

Thanks. I didn't seem to solve my problem, but I did learn something new while I tested various images to see if the yellow line was back.

When viewing jpg, tiff, psd the line is there. The only time it isn't there is when viewing raw files from my XT-3. The line is there for raw files from my XT-1.

Any thoughts? Something to do with the XT-3 file processing?
M_conn

Postby Emile » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 pm

M_conn wrote:
cdc wrote:They're in User/Library/Caches & User/Library/Preferences

Thanks. I didn't seem to solve my problem, but I did learn something new while I tested various images to see if the yellow line was back.

When viewing jpg, tiff, psd the line is there. The only time it isn't there is when viewing raw files from my XT-3. The line is there for raw files from my XT-1.

Any thoughts? Something to do with the XT-3 file processing?

I can see the line in the levels and curves tool for all my Fuji cams (X100F, X-T2, X-T3) but not in the histogram nor do I see color values displayed above the image. With my Canon images of yonder days when I had a pair of 5D3's, I see the line in all mentioned places plus the color values.

I'll make a support case out of it. I suspect it's got something to do with the new processing pipeline for Fujifilm cameras (except the first generation, which would explain your X-T1 behaving as expected).
Fujifilm, Mac, Capture One user since v3.0
Emile

Postby M_conn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Emile wrote:I'll make a support case out of it.

I'll do the same. Glad to have figured out what was going on. Thanks for the talk through everyone.
M_conn

Postby OddS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:09 am

SFA wrote:
OddS wrote:

And all places I would expect to see it in Windows 7 in my case.

So it does sound rather like a Mac thing. A strange one though.

Hmm, I now think there must be more to this. The vertical yellow line does not appear for all images (Win 10, C1 v12, I use session mode). I am not yet able to isolate factors that make the line disappear (from histogram, levels and curve). At first I thought the Loupe tool was involved, but no solid proof. Next up was the act of creating variants, but the line is absent also from images that have not been edited nor cloned. Restarting C1 does not help. I think I will report this to support.
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby Class A » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:10 pm

M_conn wrote:...
- enhanced/improved clone and heal brushes. For instance, multiple healing spots on a single layer. I don’t think that basic healing should require a round trip to an outside editor.

- Subfolder viewing in the Viewer while library navigation is on a parent folder. Or the option for this.

- Keyboard navigation of browser with arrow keys without having to recheck on an image.

Any of my wants overlap yours?

I wholeheartedly agree with the subset of the points you made that I selected above.

One can see why Adobe doesn't want to compete with themselves -- why improve Lightroom's retouching features if users have to use/own Photoshop otherwise? -- but Phase One has no such deterrent. Although round tripping works quite well in C1 -- I like that one can apply final touches in C1 after having edited an image with PS and that those final touches survive edits to the PS file -- it should be less necessary than it currently is to leave C1.

I don't get why subfolder viewing cannot be enabled as an option. Trivial to implement, very useful to some, and completely harmless to those who don't want it.
Likewise, I'd like to see an "Include new subfolders" option in the "Synchronize" dialogue. An "Include existing subfolders" option exists, but for me it would be very valuable to have C1 add new subfolders automatically, rather than me having them to add to C1's catalogue manually and then synchronise.

Another small feature request that would save me a ton of time: An option to overwrite exported files. C1 always creates new file names in order to avoid overwriting already existing output files. This means I have to manually navigate to the correct location and -- each time I need to regenerate -- delete the existing files manually. What a pain. Anyone having the same issue?

And yes, the lack of a consistent way to navigate between images via the keyboard is a big productivity thief. Even Ctrl/Cmd-<arrow keys> don't always work, if the browser doesn't have the focus. Sometimes tools steal the focus with their input fields and then even standard shortcuts -- like "B" for brushing -- don't work anymore but instead fill the input field. Most of the time, I don't have the browser visible. When navigating between images with the cursor keys doesn't work anymore, I always have to open the browser, select an image, and then close the browser again. Big waste of time and a source of frustration.
Class A

Postby M_conn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Update on the Fuji file problems with the yellow line and color readout. They are working on a fix to be released with the next interim update.

There’s a workaround in this video if you want your color readouts back. Minute 23:30. https://youtu.be/WGWbnYVo__g
M_conn

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac