Select background Layer in multiple images

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Select background Layer in multiple images

Postby NNN636189841505834171 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Hey Guys, I can't find a solution in the whole internet.

I wonder if its possible to switch the layer to background in multiple images. For example I created a layer for a few pictures in a series. Now I want to make global adjustments to all images on the background layer. Now I have to select the background layer before in every image I created a layer before.

Maybe there is something I missing. Thanks for your help.

Greeting
NNN636189841505834171

Re: Select background Layer in multiple images

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 am

This feature does not exist and would be a great time saver. Agree with you.

You can do a feature request by opening a support case.

Additional note:

Workaround: you could apply your adjustment to the background layer of the Primary Variant and copy/apply that to the other images. It will automatically apply that to the background layer of the other selected variants as well.

However, if you use the keyboard for adjusting or use presets/styles, then being able to select the background layer of all selected images upfront would be a huge time saver.
Last edited by Paul_Steunebrink on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby tenmangu81 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:57 am

Hi,

I am not sure what you are talking about, but one way to make adjustments is to create a full layer, and to make all the adjustments needed on this layer. It is almost the same as making adjustments on the background.
Or you can, if you like, create several full layers, each of them containing a bundle of adjustments or only one adjustment (looks very much like layers in Photoshop or similar softwares).
And then, copy your layer(s) to all the pictures you would like to have these adjustments.
tenmangu81

Postby NNN636189841505834171 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:This feature does not exist and would be a great time saver. Agree with you.

Additional note:

Workaround: you could apply your adjustment to the background layer of the Primary Variant and copy/apply that to the other images. It will automatically apply that to the background layer of the other selected variants as well.

However, if you use the keyboard for adjusting or use presets/styles, then being able to select the background layer of all selected images upfront would be a huge time saver.

Thank you for your answer Paul. Okay: So I will try your your workaround. If this works, it would be okay for me. When I adjust the Exposure for example on the Primary Variant on the Background and use the doublewide arrow icon to copy this it will be applied to the marked layer and not the bg layer on the other selected images I guess. Maybe I should try the copy and apply feature like you said.
NNN636189841505834171

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:33 pm

NNN636189841505834171 wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:This feature does not exist and would be a great time saver. Agree with you.

Additional note:

Thank you for your answer Paul. Okay: So I will try your your workaround. If this works, it would be okay for me. When I adjust the Exposure for example on the Primary Variant on the Background and use the doublewide arrow icon to copy this it will be applied to the marked layer and not the bg layer on the other selected images I guess. Maybe I should try the copy and apply feature like you said.

As I said in my workaround, a Background layer adjustment is applied to the Background layer of the target image, independent from which layer is selected in the target image. That is by design and mitigates your issue.

I found that there is also a command Select Background Layer you can assign a shortcut key to. However, it works for the Primary Variant only, not for other selected images.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 12.x Software