Testing out C1, problems with smart albums.

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Re: Testing out C1, problems with smart albums.

Postby Eric Nepean » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Regarding the IPTC extension, there are quite many IPTC fields, and many people use only a few of these.

I use some of these for my own unrelated purposes, I start the hijacked field with a tag like this [ADJ] to indicate what information has been placed into the field.

(e.g. I’m now working on an AppleScript that lists all the adjustments in the Getty Personalities field, to enable searching on type of adjustment. The first 5 characters are [ADJ], so this can included as part of the search query)
Eric Nepean

Postby mli20 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:02 pm

NNN636770703923053790 wrote:...

I believe I have a workaround for you to consider. It involves using Adobe Bridge as a front-end for Capture One, as it, contrary to C1, allows use of the IPTC Extension, thus also the aforementioned fields for names.

1) Assign names in Bridge; previously I suggested either of the "Description/Person Shown" and "Models/Additional Info" fields, but take a look for yourself.

2) Make sure you have the ratings sorted. Conceiviably you can sync them from C1 to Bridge by way of XMP. The necessary data should now be available in Bridge.

3) Search "All metadata" for "Bert" and for "Susie" (example), entered on 2 lines. Set "Match" to "Any". Filter the result to show only "Four or more stars".

4) Drag and drop images from the results onto the Viewer in Capture One.

MLI
mli20

Postby mli20 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:00 am

Eric Nepean wrote:Regarding the IPTC extension, there are quite many IPTC fields, and many people use only a few of these.

I use some of these for my own unrelated purposes, I start the hijacked field with a tag like this [ADJ] to indicate what information has been placed into the field.

(e.g. I’m now working on an AppleScript that lists all the adjustments in the Getty Personalities field, to enable searching on type of adjustment. The first 5 characters are [ADJ], so this can included as part of the search query)

My friend, I think you are on the road to metadata anarchy. Using fields with a original strict definition/meaning for random purposes is just so ill-advised. How do you think your hijacking of IPTC fields (if indeed "Getty Personality" is an IPTC field) will be received by the likes of Getty Images?

Re. your Applescript project: All the adjustments data might be found either in the C1 SQLite database, or written to XMP. If so, data can easily be queried, but maybe that's exactly what you intend your script to do?

But, how do you intend to maintain the field contents once you start to alter the adjustments? The perils of data redundancy...you must be an adventurous kind of person. :wink:

MLI
mli20

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:34 pm

mli20 wrote:
Eric Nepean wrote:Regarding the IPTC extension, there are quite many IPTC fields, and many people use only a few of these.

My friend, I think you are on the road to metadata anarchy. Using fields with a original strict definition/meaning for random purposes is just so ill-advised.

I suppose that I must be an anarchist. Yesterday I even discovered that my socks were mismatched and didn't rectify the problem all day. :D
How do you think your hijacking of IPTC fields (if indeed "Getty Personality" is an IPTC field) will be received by the likes of Getty Images?

"Getty personalities" is a property of the Capture one "Variant " class. The actual IPTC field is called "Personality", it is in the "Getty Images" section.

In the 40+ years that I have been engaging in photography Getty Images and I have never crossed paths. I see it as rather unlikely in the future.

Those who do interact with Getty Images might choose not to use my script.
Re. your Applescript project: All the adjustments data might be found either in the C1 SQLite database, or written to XMP. If so, data can easily be queried, but maybe that's exactly what you intend your script to do?

The live data for adjustments is of course in the C1 SQLite database, but it would be inconvenient and onerous to stop C1, open some sqlite tool, run a query of which images have a certain adjustment type, save the informattion somewhere, start C1, and then use the saved information to select variants.

The intent of the script is too save the list of which adjustments have been activated in some metadata field, so that C1 can be used directly to search and find variants with certain types of adjustments applied.
But, how do you intend to maintain the field contents once you start to alter the adjustments?
Run the script again?
The perils of data redundancy...you must be an adventurous kind of person. :wink:

My hobbies are whitewater canoeing and wilderness tripping. :D
MLI
Eric Nepean

Postby mli20 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:...

Good discussion, Eric, much appreciated.

MLI
mli20

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:11 pm

SFA wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
Eric Nepean wrote:I think you all have missed a very useful feature of Capture One 12, which enables the Boolean operators (AND, OR) and brackets.

Excellent post, Eric! Something to write a blog post about, I said to myself ;-)

See also my posts on the evening of 11th December ....

:wink:

Thank you for reminding me, Grant, took note about it.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software