Testing out C1, problems with smart albums.

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Re: Testing out C1, problems with smart albums.

Postby mli20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:55 pm

You are not addressing the missing "All" option. I was very specific that I consider that to be the core problem...?

However, I notice that the OP has not been around since last wednesday. Thus I feel my interest in the subject rapidly waning, and continuing our discussion might not really be worth our while. :|

MLI
mli20

Postby SFA » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 am

I don't perceive a missing "All" problem. At least not in the drop down box listing available fields.

"All" fields are empty would be the only possibility I can think of as a possible search and given that empty EXIF data in a digital file from a camera would be a rare occurrence I can't see how it would be useful in the context of C1.

It might, however, be confusing.

Grant
SFA

Postby mli20 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:27 am

NNN636770703923053790 wrote:...It was easy in Lightroom.   For example, I could have a smart collection with the names of my three kids and only include 4 star and above ratings. ...

Expressed in Boolean Algebra (example with 2 children):

[ Name equals "Bert" OR Name equals "Susie" ] AND Rating is greater than or equal to "Four stars"

In C1 smart album defs. there is no concept of neither the Boolean operators (AND, OR) nor brackets, both essential to expressing your criterion. Looks like it can't be done in Capture One.

"Easy in Lightroom" ? I'd love to see how you would go about it.

MLI
mli20

Postby NNN636770703923053790 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 pm

mli20 wrote:
NNN636770703923053790 wrote:...It was easy in Lightroom.   For example, I could have a smart collection with the names of my three kids and only include 4 star and above ratings. ...

[ Name equals "Bert" OR Name equals "Susie" ] AND Rating is greater than or equal to "Four stars"

In C1 smart album defs. there is no concept of neither the Boolean operators (AND, OR) nor brackets, both essential to expressing your criterion. Looks like it can't be done in Capture One.

MLI

Thanks for putting it into a logical Boolean example. I am not able to figure out how to do this. A work around is to do a smart album for each name that has a rating of 4+ and then no need for an and and an all. Very easy in lightroom would like to see this in C1. I am getting the feeling that it is a trade off, the DAM part of Lightroom is better but the image quality is better in C1. Wish this was like burger king and we could get it our way and have both in C1.
NNN636770703923053790

Postby NNN636770703923053790 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:10 pm

mli20 wrote:

MLI

You can use commas between names on the search criteria in light room when you create the rule. This makes it include everything that is in the field. You then add your all line for 4+ star rating and you get all the 4+ star rated photos that have the keywords listed in the any. In C1 you end up with these plus every 4+ star rated photo in your collection.
NNN636770703923053790

Postby mli20 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:33 pm

NNN636770703923053790 wrote:...
You can use commas between names on the search criteria in light room when you create the rule. This makes it include everything that is in the field. You then add your all line for 4+ star rating and you get all the 4+ star rated photos that have the keywords listed in the any. In C1 you end up with these plus every 4+ star rated photo in your collection.

Sure enough, works a treat, thank you :D . Can you point me to some documentation on this subject?

MLI
mli20

Postby NNN636770703923053790 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm

mli20 wrote:
NNN636770703923053790 wrote:...

Sure enough, works a treat, thank you :D . Can you point me to some documentation on this subject?

MLI

Not sure of any documentation. What are you referring to? i had trouble finding anything out there on creating more complex queries for smart albums.
NNN636770703923053790

Postby mli20 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 pm

NNN636770703923053790 wrote:
Not sure of any documentation. What are you referring to? i had trouble finding anything out there on creating more complex queries for smart albums.

I realize I have said more than enough on the subject of LR, observing forum rule #8, and this being a Capture One forum. Thanks again.

MLI
mli20

Postby Eric Nepean » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 am

I think you all have missed a very useful feature of Capture One 12, which enables the Boolean operators (AND, OR) and brackets

In the advanced search window, entering the first query line doesn't provide much flexibility. After the first query line has been created, there are two "plus" buttons that allow you to add more lines .

The "plus" button on the left just below the first query lines, just adds another query line, which has an AND or OR function, depending on the setting of All or Any at the top. Standard stuff.

However the "plus" button to the right of a query line creates a new line, and this line and the new line become part of a new subgroup with its own All or Any setting. Effectively a bracketed group of queries has been created by this operation.

The interface is a little tricky to understand. Here's a proceedure that demonstrates some of thee behaviours.
    1) Using the left hand plus button, create three query lines.
    2) Click the plus button to the right of the middle line, three times.
    3) Click the plus button to the right of the bottom line.
    4) Click the left hand plus button
    5) Click the plus button to the right of the bottom line.

Note that clicking a right hand "plus" button generates a line which does NOT have a plus button to the right. The new line cannot become part of a different subgroup (bracketed set)
Clicking the left hand "plus" button generates a line has does have a plus button to the right. It can be beome part of a new subgroup.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby mli20 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:39 am

Eric Nepean wrote:...

That's sweet, for sure. Any documentation on this? :?:

The remaining problem for the OP now is, that C1 does not comprise a searchable field suitable for his childrens' names.

In the IPTC Extension he would have "Description/Person Shown" and "Models/Additional Info" fields available, smooth sailing. However, I'm not aware that the IPTC Extension is catered for in the Professionals Choice in imaging editing software. Does anyone know? :?:

MLI
mli20

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:40 am

Eric Nepean wrote:I think you all have missed a very useful feature of Capture One 12, which enables the Boolean operators (AND, OR) and brackets.

Excellent post, Eric! Something to write a blog post about, I said to myself ;-)
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am

mli20 wrote:(...)
However, I'm not aware that the IPTC Extension is catered for in the Professionals Choice in imaging editing software. Does anyone know?

As far as I know, the IPTC Extension is (still) not supported in Capture One Pro 12.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby mli20 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 am

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:As far as I know, the IPTC Extension is (still) not supported in Capture One Pro 12.

Thanks Paul, I take "still" to indicate that this has been discussed before.

MLI
mli20

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:09 pm

mli20 wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:As far as I know, the IPTC Extension is (still) not supported in Capture One Pro 12.

Thanks Paul, I take "still" to indicate that this has been discussed before.

Yes indeed.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
Eric Nepean wrote:I think you all have missed a very useful feature of Capture One 12, which enables the Boolean operators (AND, OR) and brackets.

Excellent post, Eric! Something to write a blog post about, I said to myself ;-)

See also my posts on the evening of 11th December ....

:wink:
SFA

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac