lens correction

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Re: lens correction

Postby picman2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 am

SFA wrote:
picman2 wrote:
SFA wrote:
Which engine (C1 version) were the image edits in the old sessions using?

Grant

It were various versions, mostly ranging from v9 to v11, and an odd one v7.

Did you try updating the Engine version for the image?

(If you do you may find that some images looks a bit different. especially from the older engines. You could create a variant first if you wished to compare.)

Well, it makes no difference. Both the picture with the old engine version and the variant with the upgraded engine version: both show generic lens correction. And the strange thing is that C1 knows which lens was used because if you click on the tab, then under recommended lenses it will show the correct lens.
picman2

Postby SFA » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:00 pm

picman2 wrote:
SFA wrote:
picman2 wrote:

It were various versions, mostly ranging from v9 to v11, and an odd one v7.

Did you try updating the Engine version for the image?

(If you do you may find that some images looks a bit different. especially from the older engines. You could create a variant first if you wished to compare.)

Well, it makes no difference. Both the picture with the old engine version and the variant with the upgraded engine version: both show generic lens correction. And the strange thing is that C1 knows which lens was used because if you click on the tab, then under recommended lenses it will show the correct lens.

For the variant did you change the Engine and then force a change for the lens (to something else and then back perhaps?)

You will appreciate I am somewhat in the dark here and I can't think of a similar situation that I might be able to test with my own images.

Grant
SFA

Postby picman2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:02 am

SFA wrote:
picman2 wrote:
SFA wrote:Did you try updating the Engine version for the image?

For the variant did you change the Engine and then force a change for the lens (to something else and then back perhaps?)

You will appreciate I am somewhat in the dark here and I can't think of a similar situation that I might be able to test with my own images.

Grant

Hi Grant,
I just changed the engine, nothing happened. Then I closed C1 and opened it again, still generic lens correction. The only way to get the right lens correction is to choose it manually.
Cheers, Bob.
picman2

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:09 pm

picman2 wrote:I just changed the engine, nothing happened. Then I closed C1 and opened it again, still generic lens correction. The only way to get the right lens correction is to choose it manually.

An alternative route to force Capture One auto lens detection, and the only I know off, with images adjusted in a previous version of Capture One, is to make a new variant.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
picman2 wrote:I just changed the engine, nothing happened. Then I closed C1 and opened it again, still generic lens correction. The only way to get the right lens correction is to choose it manually.

An alternative route to force Capture One auto lens detection, and the only I know off, with images adjusted in a previous version of Capture One, is to make a new variant.

I would think specifically a NEW variant and not a clone variant - right Paul?

In effect that is what importing to a new catalogue is doing.

Grant
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 pm

SFA wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:

Yes, Grant, indeed, a new variant. Importing to a new catalog without importing adjustments creates a totally fresh and new variant too.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby picman2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
SFA wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:An alternative route to force Capture One auto lens detection, and the only I know off, with images adjusted in a previous version of Capture One, is to make a new variant.

Yes, Grant, indeed, a new variant. Importing to a new catalog without importing adjustments creates a totally fresh and new variant too.

Confirmed. When I create a new variant the right lens is chosen. But this of course defeats the whole thing because now you have the right lens but have to do the adjustments all over again. I'll just leave the old pictures as they were, even if their engine is v7.

Cheers, Bob.
picman2

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Bob,

If you change the engine form V7 to V12 it is very likely that you will introduce some part of the process that has been changed quite significantly. As I recall there were at least 2 major alterations to the way the processing functions in intervening releases and a number of smaller changes on a per-tool basis. This is one pof the main reasons that the tools are not automatically updated.

In theory you could, in most cases, still copy the adjustments from the V7 image to the V12 "image" (variant) but of course their effects may still give a different appearance IF the changes involved the more obvious differences induced by tool updates.

Via the Clip Board you could apply the changes one at a time to see the differences (if any) between the old version and the new version and so help you to work out whether simply copying old settings to new variants with an upgraded engine is something that, generally, works for you or not.

FWIW in general I tend to re-edit anyway since what I do with images today is likely to be very different to the way I processed them in earlier versions. But one does have the choice (in theory).

Grant
SFA

Postby picman2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:22 am

Hi Grant, thank for the comprehensive response. I'm just going to leave thing as they are. Pretty happy with the way the v7 pictures were developed and there really is no reason to upgrade the engine. I concur that things can change dramatically, and not always for the better. Some time ago I sent two identical pictures to support, one v7 the other v11. The color cast of v11 was totally off, v7 was much better. It was explained to me that a lot had been changed to the color engine and that that was the reason. Well, in the case of that picture it was not an improvement.

Cheers, Bob.
picman2

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:51 pm

picman2 wrote:Hi Grant, thank for the comprehensive response. I'm just going to leave thing as they are. Pretty happy with the way the v7 pictures were developed and there really is no reason to upgrade the engine. I concur that things can change dramatically, and not always for the better. Some time ago I sent two identical pictures to support, one v7 the other v11. The color cast of v11 was totally off, v7 was much better. It was explained to me that a lot had been changed to the color engine and that that was the reason. Well, in the case of that picture it was not an improvement.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob,

Good example.

Some of the more significant changes, like the one you describe, do mean that to get the best out of the image you need to revisit it and consider the option to start over with the new engine or leave it as it is. If happy, leave it. That said I will usually try a start over to see how I might do things differently with the revised engine. Part of a learning curve as I see things but, obviously, I would not wish to be forced to revise all of the archive.

Phase really only take such decisions quite rarely and when they clearly feel there are no options but to make the change if they are to offer and enhancement that can be built on for the future. The ability to keep the old engines active even within the new version is evidence to that effect.

Grant
SFA

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac