Smart Album - now unreliable

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Smart Album - now unreliable

Postby petharnz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am

Hello

Until recently my Smart Album filter sourcing colour tagged RAW (raf) and TIFF files in a number of Favorites folders has worked well.

However now the Smart Album operation is erratic. Some files with appropriate colour tags are added, while others not. Sometimes .tif files made from .raf are added, sometimes not.

The problem also appears to happen with rating tags.

I have checked file permissions and also created a new session with a new Smart Album filter.

Am using COP 12.0.4 on OS X 10.13.6. The issue also occurs on COP 12.0.3

Before I file a support request, I'm curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this problems.

Regards

Peter
petharnz

Re: Smart Album - now unreliable

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:52 pm

I've not experienced this.

The behaviour sounds much like you've "ORed" the the rules instead of "ANDed" them.

Check at the top of the rules menu that you have set "Match All Rules" and not "Match Any Rule"
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby petharnz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Thanks for your comment Eric.

The logic of the Smart Album is as it should be and always was. I re-confirmed this upon your suggestion.

The only changes I can currently identify as may be leading to the unreliability of the Smart Album are the recent releases of COP.

Regards

Eric Nepean wrote:I've not experienced this.

The behaviour sounds much like you've "ORed" the the rules instead of "ANDed" them.

Check at the top of the rules menu that you have set "Match All Rules" and not "Match Any Rule"
petharnz

Postby petharnz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 am

Hello

I finally found that a Smart Album search criteria match for Format equals "RAW" for Fuji X100s .raf files does not work consistently.

This is happening on two Macbook Pros running COP 12.1 and different versions (10.14 and 10.13) of Mac OS .

Haven't figured out why.

Regards

Peter
petharnz

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:46 am

Are you using sessions? If so, make sure that the folders that you want to be searchable by the Smart Album filter are made a Session Favorite.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Smart Album - now unreliable - Solved

Postby petharnz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 am

Thanks for your response Paul.

Yes, using Sessions and have the folders added to Session Favorites.

Have, a few minutes ago, discovered the reason for the problem. Earlier versions of COP listed the .raf format as "RAW" while recent versions list the format as "RAW (DR200)" or "RAW (DR400)" etc.

Have adjusted the criteria accordingly and the Smart Album now works.

Whether the extra text in the format tag is intentional or not, I have no idea.

It seems that the content of the format tag depends on which version of COP read the RAF file first. In other words a RAF file first read by an earlier version of COP set the format tag to "RAW" and this is what will be read by recent versions. Hence the inconsistency of the problem.

Regards

Peter

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Are you using sessions? If so, make sure that the folders that you want to be searchable by the Smart Album filter are made a Session Favorite.
Last edited by petharnz on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
petharnz

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:18 am

Great it now works. Have you any idea where this DR200 and DR400 tags in the raw file format are coming from? Can you link them to a camera setting? DR is probably Dynamic Range?

It could be something new in 12.1 as the Fujifilm processing pipeline was enhanced.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby petharnz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:46 am

Yes, it does stand for Dynamic Range setting. I couldn't find it in the ExifTool listing for a RAF image.

Did you see the added (last) sentence in my last post?

Regards

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Great it now works. Have you any idea where this DR200 and DR400 tags in the raw file format are coming from? Can you link them to a camera setting? DR is probably Dynamic Range?

It could be something new in 12.1 as the Fujifilm processing pipeline was enhanced.
petharnz

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:59 am

I now read the addition in your previous post:
It seems that the content of the format tag depends on which version of COP read the RAF file first. In other words a RAF file first read by an earlier version of COP set the format tag to "RAW" and this is what will be read by recent versions. Hence the inconsistency of the problem.

Most probably. But not sure what will create a DR200 as opposed to the DR400 tag, or it must be a dynamic range setting in the camera in relation to ISO. Wild speculation from my side. I do not have Fuji files to test.

Which camera model did you use for these images?
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby petharnz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:23 am

The camera I used on this occasion was a Fuji x100s (preferred a compact camera for NYC).

The DR setting is separate to the ISO setting but related. If ISO is adjusted then DR may change.

I'm now thinking that my "It seems that ...." sentence may not be the full explanation!

Regards

Peter

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:I now read the addition in your previous post:

Most probably. But not sure what will create a DR200 as opposed to the DR400 tag, or it must be a dynamic range setting in the camera in relation to ISO. Wild speculation from my side. I do not have Fuji files to test.

Which camera model did you use for these images?
petharnz

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac