Tooltip pop-ups

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Tooltip pop-ups

Postby NNN636764913215942061 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:01 am

Hi, I am new to C1... just migrated from LR.
Still struggling a bit with UI and would need your advice how to disable "Tooltip-pop ups"
eg. a text which pop-ups when one hovers mouse over "A" Auto adjust or any other "icon" within C1 UI.

Thank you, Marko
NNN636764913215942061

Re: Tooltip pop-ups

Postby SFA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am

My advice would be that quite soon you will not notice them.

There is a slight delay until they appear so with familiarity and speed of application for the most commonly used tools you will not see them often.

On the other hand when using a tool you do NOT use frequently the information can be a good and timely reminder of the possibilities available. Or if you use something like a preset or a style the information advises which tools have been used to create the effect. That can be useful.

Alternatively you may be one of those people who finds they love to work almost exclusively with keyboard short cuts - there are many who do but I am not one of them - in which case the information boxes will not trouble you.

So turning them off completely sounds attractive but potentially loses too much assistance. Being able to select which advisories appear by information type category might be useful but it's just more UI admin that probably is not really necessary and more code to maintain.

One could make them option with a two key option to display ... but a chorus of users would then complain about the need for 2 keys and why is there no short cut ...

Just my opinion of course.
SFA

Postby Maurice01 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:40 pm

NNN636764913215942061 wrote:Hi, I am new to C1... just migrated from LR.
Still struggling a bit with UI and would need your advice how to disable "Tooltip-pop ups"
eg. a text which pop-ups when one hovers mouse over "A" Auto adjust or any other "icon" within C1 UI.

Thank you, Marko

I couldn't agree more. They get in the way constantly, especially being as long as they are in Capture One.

As i'm always eager to learn every available option as soon as possible, the tooltips quickly lose their usefulness. By then i'm ready for additional information that one would search for in the manual. There's a nice little question mark right next to it for that.

A tooltip just needs to give a name for the tool, making it easy to look up information, and always know what it is. But Capture One's tooltips include instructions, which may be the real issue here.

Especially for the small reset button that's above every tool it bothers me. I often use that to examine the effect of a tool, by using alt-click. But then the tooltip actually covers up the values of the sliders below it, so you see the slider move, but not the numerical change in for example white balance. Not to mention that quite a large portion of the image is covered as well, by a tooltip!
Maurice01

Postby SFA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Maurice01 wrote:
NNN636764913215942061 wrote:Hi, I am new to C1... just migrated from LR.

Thank you, Marko

Especially for the small reset button that's above every tool it bothers me. I often use that to examine the effect of a tool, by using alt-click. But then the tooltip actually covers up the values of the sliders below it, so you see the slider move, but not the numerical change in for example white balance. Not to mention that quite a large portion of the image is covered as well, by a tooltip!

The Advice box disappears after about 4 seconds on first use. If you click the option on and off a few times it does not appear again in that usage.

What it covers up depends on where you have your tools positioned at the time.

There is always the option to have multiple versions of the same tool visible is you always need to see the sliders.

To do what you want to do comparing before and after I would suggest that, in many situations, there are much better ways available to you if it is something you do regularly when editing an image.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636764913215942061 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:06 am

Huh... to be honest I was not expecting Tooltips are "permanent feature" which can not be disabled?!
Very strange... This really slows down my workflow because I am often not able to immediately see slider values. Imagine processing hundreds of photos and you get 2,3,4 secs delay on each of these...

Phase One please get this fixed in the upcoming releases!!

In addition it would be very useful if you could allow exporting settings for: Keyboard shortcuts, Colour Profiles and Workspace layout so one could easily import this settings onto another computer. Copying and pasting folders is not the best solution.
NNN636764913215942061

Postby SFA » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:56 am

NNN636764913215942061 wrote:Huh... to be honest I was not expecting Tooltips are "permanent feature" which can not be disabled?!
Very strange... This really slows down my workflow because I am often not able to immediately see slider values. Imagine processing hundreds of photos and you get 2,3,4 secs delay on each of these...

In addition it would be very useful if you could allow exporting settings for: Keyboard shortcuts, Colour Profiles and Workspace layout so one could easily import this settings onto another computer. Copying and pasting folders is not the best solution.

This being a user to user forum your best option for these suggestions is to make them in a official Support Case. This will ensure they are considered for future development by the management team at Phase.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636764913215942061 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 am

" This being a user to user forum your best option for these suggestions is to make them in a official Support Case. This will ensure they are considered for future development by the management team at Phase.

HTH.

Grant "

Hi Grant, thank you for your comment. I am well aware this is a user forum however I am pretty sure Phase is "snicking around" as well so I thought it wont hurt if I post it here in addition.
Best, Marko
NNN636764913215942061

Postby SFA » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:18 am

NNN636764913215942061 wrote:" This being a user to user forum your best option for these suggestions is to make them in a official Support Case. This will ensure they are considered for future development by the management team at Phase.

HTH.

Grant "

Hi Grant, thank you for your comment. I am well aware this is a user forum however I am pretty sure Phase is "snicking around" as well so I thought it wont hurt if I post it here in addition.
Best, Marko

Well in that case it would be helpful to mention that in your post.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636764913215942061 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:35 pm

SFA wrote:
NNN636764913215942061 wrote:" This being a user to user forum your best option for these suggestions is to make them in a official Support Case. This will ensure they are considered for future development by the management team at Phase.

HTH.

Grant "

Best, Marko

Well in that case it would be helpful to mention that in your post.

Grant

Yes Sir! :)
NNN636764913215942061

Postby cdc » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:17 am

NNN636764913215942061 wrote:Huh... to be honest I was not expecting Tooltips are "permanent feature" which can not be disabled?!

The tooltips popups are super annoying. If memory serves in my search to disabling them some time ago I learned they are not just a Capture One creation but an operating system function. Have you looked into disabling tool tips within the Windows control panels?
cdc

Postby NNN636764913215942061 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:12 am

Agree!

BTW Just got a reply from Phase One support Team:
"There isn't currently a way within Capture One to disable the tool tips. I will add your case to the feature request for this option."

Let's hope for the best :)
NNN636764913215942061

Postby Maurice01 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:32 pm

SFA wrote:The Advice box disappears after about 4 seconds on first use. If you click the option on and off a few times it does not appear again in that usage.

What it covers up depends on where you have your tools positioned at the time.

There is always the option to have multiple versions of the same tool visible is you always need to see the sliders.

To do what you want to do comparing before and after I would suggest that, in many situations, there are much better ways available to you if it is something you do regularly when editing an image.

The 4 seconds is all one needs to do the comparison, so 4 seconds here is a lifetime. There is no turning it off, it appears every time the tools are used.

What 'better ways' are there to toggle the before and after effect of specific tools in 2 seconds?

In any case, it shouldn't be necessary to find workarounds for such an oversight. For something so mundane.

Multiple versions of the same tool, are you kidding? Waste even more valuable screen space to counter wasted screen space.. that makes sense! :roll:

It would probably take less time for the programming department to allow disabling tooltips than making coffee.
Maurice01

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Maurice01 wrote:
It would probably take less time for the programming department to allow disabling tooltips than making coffee.

Maybe. But perhaps far more time in subsequent technical support when people forget that the tips exist and keep asking how to do things.

In several years of using the forum I don't recall the tool tips cropping up often (perhaps never) as a problem causing unusability.

Of course there is nothing to stop you creating a Support case to request enhancement and running a forum campaign to get others to do the same with a view to it becoming a major user need for the future of the product due to its apparent popularity.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software