Pale preview or reddish saturated jpg output issue

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Pale preview or reddish saturated jpg output issue

Postby Grok » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Hello PhaseOne Team!

Right now I`m evaluating CaptureOne latest available build and it seems that I have some issues with it. I`m using Canon RAW shooting, so all my files in CR2. I use folder structure, so no any catalogs. I set some defaults values for my Canon files, like sharpening. So my usual flow looks like:
- Make a photo with sRGB color space;
- Transfer is to SSD and starts the batch file with exiftools.exe against it, so file(-s) is moved into some folder structure and been renamed;
- Open C1 and browse this path;
- I may see preview and thumbnail for this file;
- I have one receipt with sRGB;
- I press Process;
...and I got oversaturated reddish output jpg file. Maybe output file is correctly generated, but in this case, I have the pale preview. So they just mismatch and there is no difference in viewer application (FastStone, Firefox, Windows Viewer)

May someone helps me with this issue? I have no idea what is the reason of such application behavior. Maybe setting are wrong - no idea.
Alex
Grok

Re: Pale preview or reddish saturated jpg output issue

Postby SFA » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Grok wrote:Hello PhaseOne Team!

Right now I`m evaluating CaptureOne latest available build and it seems that I have some issues with it. I`m using Canon RAW shooting, so all my files in CR2. I use folder structure, so no any catalogs. I set some defaults values for my Canon files, like sharpening. So my usual flow looks like:
- Transfer is to SSD and starts the batch file with exiftools.exe against it, so file(-s) is moved into some folder structure and been renamed;
- I press Process;
...and I got oversaturated reddish output jpg file. Maybe output file is correctly generated, but in this case, I have the pale preview. So they just mismatch and there is no difference in viewer application (FastStone, Firefox, Windows Viewer)

May someone helps me with this issue? I have no idea what is the reason of such application behavior. Maybe setting are wrong - no idea.

Firstly this is a User to User forum so if you want an official Technical Support help session from the Capture One Support Team you need to create a Support Case (see the Help menu the "Capture One Support" option).

Secondly - are you opening the CR2 RAW file or something else?

Grant
SFA

Postby Grok » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I`m seeking for user`s help in this forum and I`m not looking for official help yet.

I open CR2 file for processing it and get output JPG file. So I compare CR2 preview in C1 and output JPG view in some other software as I mentioned earlier.
Alex
Grok

Postby SFA » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Grok wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I`m seeking for user`s help in this forum and I`m not looking for official help yet.

I open CR2 file for processing it and get output JPG file. So I compare CR2 preview in C1 and output JPG view in some other software as I mentioned earlier.

Are you using the Proofing facility?
SFA

Postby Grok » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:44 pm

SFA wrote:Are you using the Proofing facility?

Yes, I did it, but the only change on preview is sharpening, not colors
Alex
Grok

Postby IanS » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Grok wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I`m seeking for user`s help in this forum and I`m not looking for official help yet.

This is typically due to the viewing app not being colour managed.

Download XnviewMP (free) and turn on colour management in the app. See what your files look like.

What monitor are you using and is it wide gamut?

Ian
IanS

Postby Grok » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:58 pm

IanS wrote:Download XnviewMP (free) and turn on colour management in the app. See what your files look like.

So what I did: I turned JPG support in C1, so output file became visible and open it with C1, FastStone(with checked CMS) and XNViewMP also with CMS been turned on. I took a screenshot https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qTKRsAu1gzo-dpoGbZCiOuY8XkMZpEl_ and crop it, so from left to right jpg output file in C1, FastStone and XNView

IanS wrote:What monitor are you using and is it wide gamut?

DELL UP2515D-14 Factory calibrated. But in any case all these images displayed on one monitor, calibrated or not its not the root cause of such difference.
Alex
Grok

Postby NN383 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:40 am

Don’t use colormanagement in both viewers. It leads to terrible colors is my expierence. I have also a problem with too red and blue colors in Co 11.3.
Camera Canon 5DS, Eizo CG monitor RGB.
While the colors in DxO Photolab 2 are correct.

Willy
NN383

Postby Grok » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:03 pm

NN383 wrote:Don’t use colormanagement in both viewers. It leads to terrible colors is my expierence.

How setting to manage colors in separate viewers may lead to such color issue? I can't see the link between this. May You clarify for me this statement? Thanks!

If You run also into this color issue did You try to fix it?
Alex
Grok

Postby NN383 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Hello Alex,

Canon Zoom BrowserEX (32bit) did’n function well in Windows 10 so I sought some alternatives: FastStone Image Viewer and XnViewMP. Without the colormanagement they worked fine.

After some time I tried to use colormanagement but with result strong oversaturated colors in XnViewMP. How this came, I don’t know, but since I don’t use the colormanagement of these viewers any more.

Colormanagement is for me no solution of the problem of too much red and blue.

I have Canon 5D, 5D III they all have correct colors in CO 11.3, only 5DS has wrong colors, but not in DxO PhotoLab 2 or in Canon DPP 4.3.

I use DxO or DPP in converting RAW’s of 5DS. Sometimes I correct the colors in CO with the color editor.

Regards, Willy
NN383

Postby Grok » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Willy, thanks for explaining your way to handle this - using just another application :) But I`d like to get the root cause of such colors in CaptureOne.
Alex
Grok

Postby IanS » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Grok wrote:Hello PhaseOne Team!

- I press Process;

OK so to try and help can we clarify a few things :-)

What does "make a photo with sRGB colour space mean? You are processing raw files? A raw file does not have a colour space.

In C1 make sure that the process recipe that you are using incorporates the sRGB output profile - see example in dropbox link. Make sure only one recipe is highlighted AND ticked.

What is the ICC profile that is listed in Windows - see my example in dropbox link. I am using the profile generated by my calibrator. Presumably you will have the profile that came with the monitor installed?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8mpkulubtgmm ... X6Zja?dl=0

Seeing incorrect colours between C1 and output is a colour management issue of some kind. It is complicated and for instance even though you enable colour management in Faststone it does not actually use the monitor profile so it is not actually colour managing the photo. If you have the wrong monitor profile installed that will effect colour managed applications.

Ian
IanS

Postby Grok » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:51 pm

So I spent a lot of time to fix this issue and it was fixed. The root cause was setting in my monitor menu AdobeRGB color space and after switching it to sRGB everything become fine. In this case, only CaptureOne works fine with monitor profile, but not others viewers.
Yan, thanks for your comment it points me the right direction!
Alex
Grok

Return to Capture One 11.x Software