Capture One Camera Support > new Canon EOS R > from when?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Windows

Re: Capture One Camera Support > new Canon EOS R > from when

Postby IanL » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Bose wrote:Respect for the rules! so sorry for my contribution to this post…

But…

I think that is quite anti-marketing... I worked with C1(Sony) --> I bought a new camera --> camera is not supported yet --> I wait to spend my money in the PRO version --> I have to process my files! --> I switch to Ligtroom(that support the new camera) --> I learn a new workflow --> maybe I'll never spend my money in C1 again???

Maybe an official response with some (non precise) indications it's the best way... :wink:

LOL fair. An excellent scenario.
IanL

Postby ChristianVolk » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:23 pm

The release of the EOS R was on 9th of october - today we have 26th of november - a lot of your customers are waiting for an update, so that they can use this fantastic camera in their productive environment.
PhaseOne should take an example of Adobe who supports the EOS R since 15th of october.
For me C1 is the best raw-converter on the market but this lazy update philosphy sucks!
ChristianVolk

Postby MikeSp » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:11 am

It is painful...
MikeSp

Postby Franz1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:06 am

the same is true for the Nikon Z7 which I own since September!
Greetings
Frank

Shooting with Nikon Z7 with some Irix, Tamron and Nikon glass
Franz1

Postby deejjjaaaa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:14 am

ChristianVolk wrote:The release of the EOS R was on 9th of october - today we have 26th of november - a lot of your customers are waiting for an update, so that they can use this fantastic camera in their productive environment.
PhaseOne should take an example of Adobe who supports the EOS R since 15th of october.
For me C1 is the best raw-converter on the market but this lazy update philosphy sucks!

possible that Adobe has reached a deal with Canon / Nikon and get early access to raw files which helps with their fast releases (DPReview for a long while is reviewing cameras using non public ACR beta versions even before cameras hit the shelves) and P1 does not (whether because it is a smaller game or because C / N consider P1 a fellow competitor, at least theoretically or C / N wants some specific terms to sign that P1 can't, whatever) ... or you can try to sign with a C1 Beta program and use v12 Beta, may be this will address your issues.
deejjjaaaa

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:21 pm

ChristianVolk wrote:The release of the EOS R was on 9th of october - today we have 26th of november - a lot of your customers are waiting for an update, so that they can use this fantastic camera in their productive environment.

If you wish to vent you opinions directly to the Capture One team you really should create a Support Case and have your say.

As this is intended, mainly, to be a User to User forum making your opinions known may provide an outlet for you but a direct communication with the people who have to balance the work load of whatever Apple, Microsoft, their partner camera manufacturers, the lens makers, their in-house requirements and then the other camera manufacturers decide to release whenever they decide to release it, all alongside users with their own wishes. Plus they will be expected to get everything absolutely 'right' first time, whether that be colour rendition, working with new file specifications, dealing with new manufacturer specific technical features or making tethering work no matter what the manufacturers have offered as potential connectivity.

I'm not an early adopter of new hardware but if I was I might be communicating with the manufacturers and asking why their own software was so little used and was, apparently, unacceptable for even short term use after the camera is released. And since that is the case do they actively try to build effective relationships with companies who can provide better solutions to make sure that their early adopter clients have the widest possible choice available at the earliest possible time?

I don't think one should ignore the operational and commercial challenges that companies face in trying to match their resources to their client expectations in a market that sees constant change where vendors, in particular the large software developers at the hardware and OS level, are constantly changing their offerings and expecting their users to deal with the problems such a strategy presents. If you are Apple or Microsoft or Adobe you can simply throw money and headcount resources at the challenge - although why they would not make better use of money and headcount earlier in the development cycle to reduce the downstream challenge is a question that seems to be left unasked and unanswered.

It would be interesting to know how Canon (and Nikon) see this situation and the way it affects the satisfaction of their earlier adopter customers.

Just my opinion of course.

Grant
SFA

Postby Keith Reeder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 pm

SFA wrote:It would be interesting to know how Canon (and Nikon) see this situation and the way it affects the satisfaction of their earlier adopter customers.

They don't care, and why would they? They've sold the camera anyway, and they're not forcing the early adopters to buy-in before everyone else or to use software that takes longer to provide support than some early adopters consider acceptable.

Hell, Canon even gives us a free Raw converter that will work with our brand new cameras.

And of course, nothing about this is new: I remember people whingeing about slow support for the Canon 30D in RawShooter Essentials...
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Keith Reeder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:52 pm

ChristianVolk wrote:For me C1 is the best raw-converter on the market but this lazy update philosphy sucks!

Phase One has never been anything other than utterly honest about Raw support - it takes as long as it takes (the more popular and less "niche" a camera is, the quicker support will come) - and it's impossible to ignore the elephant in the room: you chose to buy an unsupported camera...

Phase One's developers aren't sitting twiddling their thumbs for the want of anything else to do, while they're waiting for one of the new cameras to come into their possession.

As deejjjaaaa suggests, Adobe's clout allows it to get access to pre-production camera bodies (not just Raw files), so they can be well on the way with support by the time a body is released to the public - which is, as he says, why DPR gets to use pre-release versions of ACR that support pro-release cameras.

But none of this changes the underlying point: if you don't want to wait for support, don't be an early adopter. Take responsibility for your decisions.

I've just bought a "new" (to me) 1Dx, and - guess what? - no support problems whatsoever...
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Franz1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:50 am

I do own different RAW converters and there are two categories:
1) you can read the file but not identify lens or camera: You still process data but without camera/lens correction
2) you can read only files where you know the camera: Still you may not know the lens

LR/PS, DXO and C1 are part of the second group, others like On1, RAW therapy, Luminar, ... are part of the first group.

I can open Z7 files on C1 by renaming the camera model to D850, the reason is that it uses same NEF format but adds only one important information which is lens correction!
Of course, I could not usu automatic lens correction for Z7 like I can in LR/PS if I 'tweak the picture to be from D850' but I can use it.

If C1 would deceide to allow any camera where they can read the RAW file it would help already a lot. Of course, camera settings like Color rendition cannot be processed, but at least files could be processed manually.

I am not a Canon user and don'Ät know about the difference between CRx to CR3 files, but with Nikon it's NEF and there are differences for different cameras (like for Z7 the lens adjustments and autofocus) but each NEF file can be read with the same procedure, regardless if from my oldest D80 to Z7, some RAW converters just never needed an update to read any of the files!
My request is therefore not to link compatibility to the camera model but just to the native file format. If that changes so dramatically then it's clear for me that a new code need to be written to display the file!
Greetings
Frank

Shooting with Nikon Z7 with some Irix, Tamron and Nikon glass
Franz1

Postby David532 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Well V12 is now available though the upgrade price has gone up considerably since V10 to V11 (its now £150 including VAT). You could download a trial to check camera coverage.
David532

Postby RedRobin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:55 pm

David532 wrote:Well V12 is now available though the upgrade price has gone up considerably since V10 to V11 (its now £150 including VAT). You could download a trial to check camera coverage.

.... No need to download a trial, CR3 RAW files are now supported. See the list :

https://www.phaseone.com/Capture-One/Su ... px?c=canon

Thank you Capture One team!

:)
Robin Procter - Amateur Wildlife Photographer - https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/
CaptureOne 12 on Mac OS 10.13.6
RedRobin

Postby ChristianVolk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Great news!
ChristianVolk

Postby GenertL » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:53 pm

ChristianVolk wrote:Great news!

Not really! :?
I think the support for the EOS R should definitely be patched in v11.
Because the camera has been available for almost 2 months.
Please PhaseOne dont force Costumer to Upgrade to V12 for
EOS R Support! :cry:
GenertL

Postby ChristianVolk » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 pm

GenertL wrote:
ChristianVolk wrote:Great news!

Not really! :?
I think the support for the EOS R should definitely be patched in v11.
Because the camera has been available for almost 2 months.
Please PhaseOne dont force Costumer to Upgrade to V12 for
EOS R Support! :cry:

I totaly agree - as a beta tester, I still waited for v12 being released!
I hope they will update v11 with the new camera models for those customers that dont't need the v12 great features.
ChristianVolk

Postby IanL » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:40 pm

What did support say when you asked? Seems like a reasonable request to me.
IanL

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Windows