I am a new user and have a couple of questions.

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Windows

I am a new user and have a couple of questions.

Postby NNN636559696362218847 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 am

I am making the switch from LR, as the raw conversion is night and day better than LR for my M43 camera (even after heavy editing in LR).

1) My folder structure lately has been Year->Month->Day. When I select a year it will not display photos from any subfolder. Is there any setting to show all photos in subfolders selected?

2) I shoot raw+jpg because I like having the jpg for an unexplainable reason. In LR it imported these as a sidecar file associated with the raw file, so any tagging/labels/etc and most importantly, deletions during culling, would happen to both the raw and jpg. Is there any way to couple these so I can easily cull my images?

Edit:

3) Is there a maximum recommended number of photos per catalog? I am a hobbyist, and do like all my photos being in one catalog, but wasn’t sure if I was going to run into trouble down the road as my collection grows.
NNN636559696362218847

Re: I am a new user and have a couple of questions.

Postby IanL » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:05 pm

NNN636559696362218847 wrote:I am making the switch from LR, as the raw conversion is night and day better than LR for my M43 camera (even after heavy editing in LR).

I just made the switch too.

NNN636559696362218847 wrote:1) My folder structure lately has been Year->Month->Day. When I select a year it will not display photos from any subfolder. Is there any setting to show all photos in subfolders selected?

I have a similar structure. The quick answer is no that is not possible. I kinda miss it but you can work around it with a smart album and you can also embrace it as a useful feature.

Smart albums:
You can create a smart album to show all the pictures you took from any given year (https://help.phaseone.com/en/co6/organi ... s.aspx?p=1). Then you have a place to to where you can see the same thing that LR would show you if you selected the year folder - everything you took during the year.

Embrace it as a feature:
One thing that in LR I used to do was select a year an then filter it based on ratings to find the best. You can certainly do the same with C1 as above. But you can do one better / different. I have started using sessions for each job created a certain way such that once I import them into my catalogue the selects folder is the job's root folder in C1 and the rest of the shoot (which contains not the best work but not outtakes either) remains in the capture sub folder. That means when you select the folder for the job in C1 it immediately and only shows you the best shots from that shoot. You can of course look at the rest if you like but it makes it really easy to find your best shots.

NNN636559696362218847 wrote:2) I shoot raw+jpg because I like having the jpg for an unexplainable reason. In LR it imported these as a sidecar file associated with the raw file, so any tagging/labels/etc and most importantly, deletions during culling, would happen to both the raw and jpg. Is there any way to couple these so I can easily cull my images?

I very rarely do this so I don't have a lot of experience but when I do I just don't import the .jpg files into the catalogue at all. Since I never look at my photos from outside LR or C1 I just totally ignore them. Works for me. Not sure it that will work for you.

NNN636559696362218847 wrote:3) Is there a maximum recommended number of photos per catalog? I am a hobbyist, and do like all my photos being in one catalog, but wasn’t sure if I was going to run into trouble down the road as my collection grows.

I see people pulling numbers out of thing air. I see the same kind of discussion from the early days of LR: "in LR 2 I made sure I never had a catalogue of more than X images" - clearly old advice that is no relevant for LR 6 etc.

What I know is that my current C1 catalogue of 64 000 images performs just fine. So, my plan is to totally not worry about this and not listen to random numbers people throw around :-)
IanL

Postby Janusz Wronka » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 am

Was bedeutet das: Erfassen Sie ein Glossar im Hilfe von C1 Version 11?
Janusz Wronka

Postby Janusz Wronka » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 am

"Erfassen Sie ein Glossar". Was bedeutet es in der Hilfe C1 Ver.11
Janusz Wronka

Postby Janusz Wronka » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:42 am

Janusz Wronka wrote:Was bedeutet das: Erfassen Sie ein Glossar im Hilfe von C1 Version 11?
Janusz Wronka

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Windows