Capture One crash: no way to set user comment?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Windows

Capture One crash: no way to set user comment?

Postby NN635065702198330154UL » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I use Capture One 11.2.0.121 for Windows 10, and I use sessions with about 100-300 photos per session.
I need assistance to use Capture One to capture metadata without crashing the program.

I want to set a user comment/description/headline that will remain with the raw files as a description of the photo's content, and also appear with jpeg files after export, for example to appear in the Windows Properties of each file as "Title" or "Subject".

I can set the IPTC "Description" during file import, but that is a once-off for all images being imported. I need a way to edit/update the description afterwards individually per photo, but Capture One crashes when I try.

1. Olympus raw files:
In Capture One, I select one or more Olympus PEN-F *.ORF photo files, and then click on the (i) icon to show the metadata tab. It shows annotations, keywords, keyword library and metadata. I expand the IPTC Content and when I click with the mouse the row for "Headline" or "Description", Capture One becomes unresponsive and either shuts down or I eventually have to kill it in the Windows Task Manager.

I also tried to first set the comment using the Olympus Viewer software, and then import the raw files, but I do not see any comments in Capture One using this method.

2. Nikon Raw files:
Same happens: I select a Nikon D800E *.NEF file, move to metadata, open IPTC Content and when I click with the mouse the row for "Headline" or "Description" the program goes unresponsive and shuts down.

Thanks
Willem
NN635065702198330154UL

Re: Capture One crash: no way to set user comment?

Postby NN635065702198330154UL » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 pm

I managed to set a description to a raw file using Phil Harvey's Exiftool, and when I then import the raw file into CaptureOne, it shows in the IPTC description field. However, during the import into the session a duplicate of the raw file is created, so then I have to go and delete each duplicate photo.
Still, when I click on the IPTC description in the C1 user interface, the program shuts down unexpectedly.

* Edit - the issue of the duplicate seemed to disappear. I can now successfully tag and import images, but the issue remains that C1 crashes when I try to modify such descriptions at a later stage.
Last edited by NN635065702198330154UL on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NN635065702198330154UL

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 pm

C1 will never modify a source file of any type.

All additional metadata and edit instructions will be saved in sidecar files.

Out of interest, in the preferences under the Image tab what settings do you have for Metadata handling?

Using WIn V7 I do not see this problem.

To mass edit one of the fields for multiple images you need to add the required value(s) to the fields in one image then select the other images, ensure that the "Edit all selected variants?" toggle is set ON and then use the copy feature in the Metadata tool to copy the values from the already edit image to the others selected.

(You cab select all of the images first but in the case of metadata field edits will usually only apply to one image when entered and the copy feature will still be required.)

My recommendation would be to report this problem to the Capture One support team via a Support Case and provide the Log files as requested so they can take a look and assess where the problem arises in the process instructions.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635065702198330154UL » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks Grant, appreciate your reply.

I do not mind if comments are in the sidecar files. I just need C1 to associate comments with the raw files, and to allow modifying them later again. Whether C1 implements it in the raw or in a sidecar does not matter to me. I applied it directly in the raw with Exiftool only as a work-around.

My settings are:
Auto sync sidecar: None.
Prefer embedded XMP over embedded IPTC (off)
Prefer sidecar XMP over embedded metadata (ON)

I would like to use the mass edit as you suggest. I will remember the procedure you mentioned, thanks. Unfortunately the program already crashes when I enter the comment for the first image.

When Capture One starts after a crash it comes up with a "report this crash" window, and I submitted the issue a couple of times using that means. I will log a call via the website as well.
NN635065702198330154UL

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm

NN635065702198330154UL wrote:Thanks Grant, appreciate your reply.

I do not mind if comments are in the sidecar files. I just need C1 to associate comments with the raw files, and to allow modifying them later again. Whether C1 implements it in the raw or in a sidecar does not matter to me. I applied it directly in the raw with Exiftool only as a work-around.

My settings are:
Auto sync sidecar: None.
Prefer embedded XMP over embedded IPTC (off)
Prefer sidecar XMP over embedded metadata (ON)

I would like to use the mass edit as you suggest. I will remember the procedure you mentioned, thanks. Unfortunately the program already crashes when I enter the comment for the first image.

When Capture One starts after a crash it comes up with a "report this crash" window, and I submitted the issue a couple of times using that means. I will log a call via the website as well.

The crash report is generic and, largely, anonymous in theory. It is simply something the developer can use to discover across a wide range of platforms and congurations what sort of problems their installations have - especially installation issues.

For a personal support response use the Support Case system to tell Phase that you need some of their knowledge to work out where to find the problem that causes you crash so consistently.

If this problem happens on every session it would probably suggest a system configuration problem or conflict.

If only on one session then maybe a corrupt file or session database - these things can happen. In about 10 years of using Capture One I have seen one edit data file that became corrupt and caused so problems in a session (something to do with Windows file handling and fragment indexing I think) which proved difficult to spot at first in a session with about 3000 images. There were some very misleading symptoms until I finally spotted a problem image.

I would expect the Support Team to come up with a good suggestion for resolution quite quickly.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Windows