ICC-profile / grey haze on picture

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Windows

ICC-profile / grey haze on picture

Postby Amundsen64 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 am

Hello !

When I'm using the ICC-profile of my printshop (whitewall.de) instead of sRGB the picture gets a grey haze layer.

Clicking the PROOF ON/OFF doesn't matter :(

I do not want to send the picture to the printshop in this outfit :?

Yes, the printshop offers also sRGB, but using the special ICC-profile for the different fotopapers / dibond etc should save save correct colors.

What is going wrong?

WIN10, C1 11.2,
Amundsen64

Re: ICC-profile / grey haze on picture

Postby pawl_s » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 pm

>When I'm using the ICC-profile of my printshop (whitewall.de) instead of sRGB the picture gets a grey haze layer.

Where are you using the whitewall profile, during process (embedding it into jpg) or only for soft-proofing? What is your monitor capable off? Can it display more than sRGB?

I would propose to proceed as follows: if you have an sRGB monitor, "develop" your RAW in CP1 and use processing recipe, which generate an jpg file with sRGB profile in it. Send it to whitewall.

Use the whitewall profile only for soft-proofing.

Best regards,
pawl_s

PS: what you are experiencing is, in my opinion: you have used whitewall profile when processing the file, so your jpg has been generated using this profile. It can be (and most probably is), that the whitewall profile covers more space than sRGB. Therefore when you try to look at the photo generated using such a wide profile and your monitor is not capable of displaying them, then the "out of range" color are "transferred" into sRGB space losing the vibrance/saturation or how it should be properly named.

PS. all above without guarantee ;)
pawl_s

Postby SFA » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:19 am

Bear in mind that printer profiles, used in proofing, are attempting to show how the print will look asuming that you order it on the paper (or whatever medium the profile relates to) when printed rather than is it appears on a screen. So it should in some way make allowances for being a reflective medium rather than a backlit medium as well as the different colours that the medium will display compared with what the screen can display.

If the two presentation mediums could with any certainty display exactly the sams results ... there would be no need for softproofing to exist in the way that it does.

Grant
SFA

Postby Amundsen64 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:56 am

@pawl_s and @sfa:

thank you so much for these explainations!

Now I'm starting to understand what's going on while exporting / proofing.
Yes, my monitor is limited to sRGB. So it is not neccesary to use the whitewall-profiles :(
Amundsen64

Postby pawl_s » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am

Amundsen64 wrote:Yes, my monitor is limited to sRGB. So it is not neccesary to use the whitewall-profiles :(

It is not necessary to use whitewall profiles, because it is wrong to do so, not because of your monitor's sRGB.

Mostly the printers are limited in reproducing colors. Usually their color space (and the paper) limits it, therefore soft proofing shows you how your sRGB photo will look like, when printed on this paper using that printer. You can try to reduce color saturation of your photo (or it's parts) so there are no out-of-gamut colors. Or you can leave it like it is and the printing professionals will try to do their best to reproduce your photo as you have seen it on your screen.

Remark 1: never embed printer profile in the jpg photo. Only use sRGB or AdobeRGB in them.
Remark 2: do not embed AdobeRGB profile if you have sRGB monitor. You will not know how your photo will look like, because you did not see it on your monitor.
pawl_s

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Windows