Output filesnames use space char plus number?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Windows

Output filesnames use space char plus number?

Postby Smiles » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm

When I process (export) a variant of a file a second time to the same directory, the resultant file name has a SPACE character followed by a number, ie, (1 for the first duplicate). If the original is _E7A1234.JPG then the duplicate name for the 2nd image is _E7A1234 1.JPG and the second _E7A1234 2.JPG, etc. Is there a way to make the duplicates use the "_" underscore character (or some other character) rather than the SPACE character?

(I thought that I could choose a different character via the use of custom naming in the Output naming section of the Process Recipe ... but discovered it not to be the case.
Smiles

Re: Output filesnames use space char plus number?

Postby SFA » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 pm

No way to specify that I am aware of - however I find it quite useful as it is because of the slightly easier to spot separation of the numbers that identify a newer version of an existing output.

If you wish to retain both (or several) with that numbering reconfigured the Batch renaming facility should do the job for you quickly and easily.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby cdc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:30 pm

You can use a Find & Replace function to replace the space with a _. This can be done with the batch rename tool in Capture One, windows explorer may have this function as well.
cdc

Postby SFA » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:32 pm

cdc wrote:You can use a Find & Replace function to replace the space with a _. This can be done with the batch rename tool in Capture One, windows explorer may have this function as well.

If the resulting files are to be managed in C1 then use C1 to run the rename so that it knows what is going on.

Grant
SFA

Postby Smiles » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 pm

... my main complaint is simply that on a PC the explorer file order by NAME is:

_E7A0131 1.jpg
_E7A0131.jpg
_E7A0131_1.jpg
_E7A0131_2.jpg

Frustrating to have images processed AFTER the 1st image show up before because of the space character ... if the _ was used they would appear after.

I just wish the file naming was MY choice ... in my case I dislike a space character being used. It's not a option they allow, so I'll live with it ... it's fine.
Smiles

Postby SFA » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Smiles wrote:... my main complaint is simply that on a PC the explorer file order by NAME is:

_E7A0131 1.jpg
_E7A0131.jpg
_E7A0131_1.jpg
_E7A0131_2.jpg

Frustrating to have images processed AFTER the 1st image show up before because of the space character ... if the _ was used they would appear after.

I just wish the file naming was MY choice ... in my case I dislike a space character being used. It's not a option they allow, so I'll live with it ... it's fine.

I could see a case for allowing the sort order within C1 to be specified based on multiples of the existing sort parameters.

That might make a nice Enhancement Request delivered via the Support Case system.

It's not something I have ever needed to check but I don't suppose there are any universal standards for how additional version number of files must be handled and it would not surprise me if different systems had different conventions.

If so that could be quite a challenging project if attempts were needed to address a number of different conventions.

Does anyone know?

Grant
SFA

Postby Smiles » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:00 am

... it's been awhile since my first post on this. I haven't researched back to how it "was" in previous versions. What I've noticed is that I never used to think about the subject, ie, in the past when viewing a set of images in file name order, the newer versions were always lower in the list, but now they are typically higher. I think it revolves around the space character being used ...

(additional complications revolve around when editing in an external program .. the filename is of course changed, but with a different convention)

It's been a LONG time since I've used lightroom as my primary production tool (kudos to cap 1), but as I remember it DID have a simple way to allow the user to customize their own rename convention)
Smiles

Postby ben_US » Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 pm

There is a Variant Position token that will take care of this if you are using the same output directory for multiple variants of one image:

This would be set in the Output Naming tool. Given the naming structure above, you'd end up with the following from source raw file "img001.cr2", with three variants:

img001_1.tif
img001_2.tif
img003_3.tif

Alternatively, if you have them sorted in a better way (for example, variants in a collection called 'BW' or 'Cropped', you could use the Collection token.

img001_BW.tif
img001_Cropped.tif

Even better, if you have those particular discerning details stored in the metadata, you can use the corresponding token to break it down further. So, if you have img001.cr2 in three variants (let's assume variant 1 is cropped and adjusted beautifully, variant 2 is b/w, and variant three is a tight crop), you can set each variant to have a different Description metadata to correspond to it. Then, using the Description token, you can get:

img001_beautiful.tif
img001_bw.tif
img001_crop.tif
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby IanL » Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 pm

ben_US wrote:Alternatively, if you have them sorted in a better way (for example, variants in a collection called 'BW' or 'Cropped', you could use the Collection token.

img001_BW.tif
img001_Cropped.tif

?? I might be missing something but this is something I used to do in other products (place copies in various collections for different purposes) that is not supported in C1. At least I cannot see how to do it.

Did something change that I missed?

I created a B&W collection and then created a copy of a primary variant, which I converted into B&W. When I drag and drop the black and white variant into the collection and then the collection contains two images - the primary variant and the black and white one. Not quite what I was expecting...
IanL

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Windows