Since C1 11 installation duplication at each image import

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Windows

Since C1 11 installation duplication at each image import

Postby NN636151752166318442UL » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi,
Since installation of C1 11 Sony Pro, images imported by card reader or by external hard drive are duplicated. One image correct, the other image mostly with wrong thumbnail or wrong lens parameter (e.g. manufacture profile). I want to import only one image in my catalogue. How to proceed?

Last edited by NN636151752166318442UL on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NN636151752166318442UL

Re: Since C1 11 installation duplication at each image impor

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:12 pm

It's very difficult to see but I think what you have there is an original image and an edited version of it and you are displaying both variants in the browser.

If you see a number in the top right corner of the thumbnail - 1 and 2 for example (more are possible) that is what you have. If you click on the symbol in the top left corner the 2 images will "stack" to show just one image - whichever one you currently have as number 1.

That is not something that would happen normally by just importing.

Can you tell us some more about how you are working with Capture One?

Also it looks like your "not correct" images have been "processed" to output. It would be interesting to understand when that happened.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN636151752166318442UL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Thank you very much SFA,

for better understanding, I took picture sequences of my workflow:

Step 1:

Raw picture on SD-card

Step 2:

Picture import by C1

Step 3:

Now you see the 2 pictures generated by C1. On the left the naive picture, on the right side the processed picture. Sometimes thumbnail of the "processed" picture is wrong (shows a thumbnail of any previous picture).

On the hard drive, the correct RAW-picture was imported

The information of the left, right photo is correct indicating a Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm

The information of the right photo is not correcting indicating a wrong objective (Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 mm)

The right photo was processed "automatically"

I hope you can see that the "mistake" happens during import. 20 imported photos generates so at least 40 thumbnails. Can you solve the problem with this informations. I would be very happy. Thank you!
NN636151752166318442UL

Postby SFA » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm

If you are importing a new image directly in to C1 V11 from an SD card the first thing that puzzles me is how you get an images with a C1 V10 process engine. (7th Image if I counted correctly)

Have you at some point had images with the same file names imported in C1 V10?

I could perhaps speculate about some other suggestions but I might be wasting your reading time unless we have an explanation for the V10 Engine in the duplicate image as part of the evidence to consider.

This is not something I have seen before - but the I work mostly with Sessions and set the field names for the session on import. Before I started to name on import I recognised some possibility of name duplication but, in a session, that can be easily avoided with a little care. It may not be quite so easy working in a catalogue IF something happened somehow OUTSIDE the catalogue and C1.

What can you tell us?

Grant
SFA

Postby bershatsky » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:48 am

I've had the same problem as the original poster as well. C1's catalog is a mess!
bershatsky

Postby NN636151752166318442UL » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:02 pm

If you are importing a new image directly in to C1 V11 from an SD card the first thing that puzzles me is how you get an images with a C1 V10 process engine. (7th Image if I counted correctly)

This is done by the programme itself. No idea how this can happen

Have you at some point had images with the same file names imported in C1 V10?

Indeed. C1 V10 already used same file names as C1 V11 now (see image).

I could perhaps speculate about some other suggestions but I might be wasting your reading time unless we have an explanation for the V10 Engine in the duplicate image as part of the evidence to consider.

This is not something I have seen before - but the I work mostly with Sessions and set the field names for the session on import. Before I started to name on import I recognised some possibility of name duplication but, in a session, that can be easily avoided with a little care. It may not be quite so easy working in a catalogue IF something happened somehow OUTSIDE the catalogue and C1.

You change the file names on import. Is that right?

What can you tell us?

Grant
NN636151752166318442UL

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 pm

Ok, so you in your example you had the same file name going through processing last year.

What happened to the original file for that name?

Where does the XMP appear from in your 2018 import? Is it the same file that is in the 2017 folder set?

Is it anything to do with importig images from another application's catalogue?

I will guess that it is and maybe explains the problem as you see it but not yet how the problem happens.

Yes I name images on import adding prefix information but retaining the original file name as part of the name.

For the prefix I mostly use some fixed text and some of the token naming options. The naming "convention" used depends on the nature of the shoot.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN636151752166318442UL » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Ok, so you in your example you had the same file name going through processing last year.

What happened to the original file for that name?

Nothing. They are stored under year-month-day correctly on the hard drive.

Where does the XMP appear from in your 2018 import? Is it the same file that is in the 2017 folder set?

The XMP are diplayed for all samples of the picture correct, independently of C1 engine 10 or 11. It is not the same file than in 2017 (year/month/day). When I change import name like you proposed, the error still remains

Is it anything to do with importig images from another application's catalogue?

It doesnt matter if I import from another catalogue, SSD or SD card. The problem is always the same. What I did before updating from C1 10 to 11, was changing my SSD harddrive. I did a 1:1 copy on the new hard drive. But I think, this isn't an explanation for the problem. The original files are exactly the same

I will guess that it is and maybe explains the problem as you see it but not yet how the problem happens.

Yes I name images on import adding prefix information but retaining the original file name as part of the name.

For the prefix I mostly use some fixed text and some of the token naming options. The naming "convention" used depends on the nature of the shoot.

Thank you very much for this advice!
NN636151752166318442UL

Postby NN636151752166318442UL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:19 am

Would the next update solve this problem or is a new installation of C1 11 required?
NN636151752166318442UL

Postby SFA » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:12 pm

NN636151752166318442UL wrote:Would the next update solve this problem or is a new installation of C1 11 required?

As we have not yet identified the root cause of the apparent duplication then there is no honest answer to your question.

If you have XMP file synching active AND XMP files from a previous time which relate to the same files name (at the point and time of importing) then that might be part of the problem. At least one could speculate that it might be. I am not aware of C1 using XMP files unless one of the synch method options is active.

The problems looks more like Data than anything and so I would doubt that a re-install and no other work would resolve the potential for the problem.

I would suggest you create a Support Case and seek technical assistance for the Capture One support team. At some point someone is going to have to get involved with sorting out the file system to prevent what looks like new images being associated with older image XMP files (and maybe other files) on import when names are not unique. But before doing that there is quite a lot to understand about what has happened and how.

Meanwhile for all new images it would be wise make sure they are renamed to avoid duplication.

If, on import, even renaming does not work to solve the problem the possibility is that the connection between the files is made early in the process before the renaming is applied.

This suggests 2 things.

Firstly the XMP files are for some reason "visible" to the import process when it would be better if they were not. They might, for example, by lying around in a temporary work area from which a process, perhaps a Windows process, should have cleared them from the system.

Secondly if you are importing with the "Include Existing Adjustments" box ticked (Import window, bottom left hand corner. If you don't see it drag the window out a little until it appears). In your case this may not be an appropriate setting to use due to the potential for discovering "old" settings files from previous images with the same name.

However I cannot be in any way sure of this without seeing into your system - that would be better to do working with the C1 Support team.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN636151752166318442UL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Thank you very much for your help and comment in detail.

Unfotunately duplication of imported images doesn`t change when renaming them before. So I think you' re right that the connection between the files is made early in the process before renaming is applied.

If this is a window process I would try to clear it instantly. But actually I have no idea how to do that.

The box for "include existing adjustement" is not activated at import.

I just contacted C1 support for help. If they can solve the problem, I'll report again.

Thank you again for your great help!!!!
NN636151752166318442UL

Postby David532 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Just had a similar experience, imported 25 new images and when previews built there were 4 previews of pictures imported months ago which I sent to recycle bin before I realized there was something amiss. I recovered them,rebuilt the previews and the pictures I had taken appeared. I am almost certain these problems are related to the new exclude duplicates function.

For preview in the above read thumbnail. :oops:
David532

Postby NN636151752166318442UL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:40 am

Thank you David for your comment. So I'm not the only one with this problem! :?
NN636151752166318442UL

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Windows