Auto-Levels RGB vs. Red, Green, and Blue

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Auto-Levels RGB vs. Red, Green, and Blue

Postby jjakucyk » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:34 am

I recently updated from version 11.1 to 11.3 and I noticed a change in the auto-levels functionality. In 11.1, regardless of what channel mode you set in preferences, auto-levels from the "big A" button in the toolbar would only change the "RGB" channel. The "little A" in the levels panel would respect the channel mode preferences, so if it was set to "RGB" rather than "Red, Green, and Blue" it would function the same as the big A button (assuming no other auto-adjustments were selected).

"Red, Green, and Blue" mode generally works best, but sometimes it actually adds a bit of a color cast to some of my photos, giving the sky a greenish tinge or something like that. So in 11.1 I'd just undo the auto-levels and then use the "big A" button to get the overall levels right without worrying about introducing any color cast. In version 11.3 though, both buttons now respect the channel mode preferences. That makes more sense, but now how do I flip back and forth without having to go through the preferences window?
jjakucyk

Re: Auto-Levels RGB vs. Red, Green, and Blue

Postby SFA » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:45 am

You can access preferences from the Levels tool but there is no way that I know of to swap the mode in which Auto operates other than by the preferences.

If I get a colour cast after channel based auto levels - very rare in my personal experiences but that does not mean much - I tend to revisit the White Balance tool as a first check point. Then look for any evident strange situations in the histogram. Then maybe re-run auto-levels in per channel mode and repeat until things look more like I want them to look.

But that's just my approach. I'm sure others will offer alternatives.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software